Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

5721 - 5740 of 5780 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes. But much nicer than the last few Autumns when everything was bone dry.
Getting mine detailed tomorrow. She's got some scratches on the bonnet from trees in high winds and some down her side from people not taking care when parking alongside. I'd considered buying proper buffing/polishing tools and kit but worried I might stuff it because the dark colour with some scratches deep into the clear coat. Also, YouTube tells me swirl marks are the enemy. Found a lovely company that will touch her up and detail her properly for about the same price. The chap that runs the company loves the XVs and pearl finishes. Where are you headed for the family getaway? 🐨
Headed to Coobowie not far from Edithburgh on the Yorke Peninsula in SA.

As for the paint, yes swirls are the enemy but if you prepared the paint well beforehand, you should be able to detail it yourself without too much issue. I have noticed the paint is a lot thinner on the XV's than say my previous Liberty from 07. The slightest thing will go to primer on these cars. I have some scratches that I think are beyond buffing out. But will try it myself first before getting professionals in. Do you have ceramic coating on your XV?

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
287 Posts
Headed to Coobowie not far from Edithburgh on the Yorke Peninsula in SA.

Do you have ceramic coating on your XV?
Nice one.
No but I'm beginning to think I should've.
Did you have the Whispbars on a while before you added the Thule pod. Are they fairly quiet on the XV?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice one.
No but I'm beginning to think I should've.
Did you have the Whispbars on a while before you added the Thule pod. Are they fairly quiet on the XV?
Yes they are the Yakima Whispbars. Actually they are super quiet, I often forget they are fitted to the car. Can highly recommend them. I paid $311 delivered from Roof Racks galore. I thought they were great value.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
42 Posts
Did you use vinyl to delete the window chrome trim? If so how hard was it? Looks really good! I want to give it a go but seems difficult to wrap.
I'm curious as well, I've got some vinyl ordered to take care of it (gloss, matte, and satin on the way for various things). I'm not a big fan of chrome and it really annoys me that they stuck that strip on the Limited trim level for no good reason at all. I'm just not sure I want to tackle removing and replacing it with trim pieces from base or premium.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,161 Posts
I'm curious as well, I've got some vinyl ordered to take care of it (gloss, matte, and satin on the way for various things). I'm not a big fan of chrome and it really annoys me that they stuck that strip on the Limited trim level for no good reason at all. I'm just not sure I want to tackle removing and replacing it with trim pieces from base or premium.
I guess they have to set it apart to justify the extra $$$, LOL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you use vinyl to delete the window chrome trim? If so how hard was it? Looks really good! I want to give it a go but seems difficult to wrap.
I bought a pre cut kit from JDMFV. Went on fairly easy. The vinyl lays in between the rubber top and bottom of the molding. No tucking. Probably took about an hour. The kit cost $36, the local wrap guy wanted $300.I also bought a cheap set of wrap tools from Amazon which helped al lot.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
23 Posts
I bought a pre cut kit from JDMFV. Went on fairly easy. The vinyl lays in between the rubber top and bottom of the molding. No tucking. Probably took about an hour. The kit cost $36, the local wrap guy wanted $300.I also bought a cheap set of wrap tools from Amazon which helped al lot.
Never knew they sold a precut kit. Thank you, did you go with matte/flat black? Looks like it matches well if you did.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
42 Posts
I do like the look of the under bumper - did you do that with Plastidip? I may have enough left over semi-matte vinyl to try it on mine when I find the time and motivation....

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,203 Posts
I do like the look of the under bumper - did you do that with Plastidip? I may have enough left over semi-matte vinyl to try it on mine when I find the time and motivation....
Yes, the flat black matches differently. And if you don't like it, it peels off no problem. I still have mine on, and no signs of peeling off prematurely. Of course I am careful when washing and wiping there with a cloth.

5721 - 5740 of 5780 Posts