Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

5641 - 5660 of 5671 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
37 Posts
I was lucky, Lowes had white plugs that fit the factory holes perfect. Sadly, the dealer had drilled 1/4" holes for their advertisement plate and lowes only had clear 1/4" plugs. Now Im looking for white 1/4" plugs or I have to drill out and install 3/8" plugs. Granted, white is more common than red for these little plugs.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek in White Pearl
5 Posts
Finished replacing Wheel Studs, pads and rotors after a local garage I took her to stripped the wheel studs. Had to snap the one off to remove the wheel, all for a simple wellness check... 😭

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Changed the O I L using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W20, a NAPA Gold filter and the OEM crush ring. However, the normally easy task didn't come without some complications. 1) As I was emerging from under the car, the drain plug flew out of my hands onto the pavement causing the start of the threads to be boogered to the point where I couldn't start the plug threading upon re-installation. Knowing better than to force it and screw up the pan threads, I broke out my set of precision files and managed to file the damage to the starter threads to where they would grab the pan threads. 2) At one point as I was trying to thread it into the pan, the plug slipped from my hand and landed on the plastic undercover. It took me a while to locate and retrieve the plug. 3) As I was emptying the container of old oil into the original oil container, I managed to lose grip of the drained oil container resulting in a significant amount of oil to be deposited on the grass and onto my shoes and jeans. But the end result was an engine full of nice new oil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I put these hood struts on today. Very easy install. Did have one issue: the hood bolt was not long enough to accommodate the LP Adventure ditch light bracket as well as the strut bracket so light bracket came off. I'll try hood edge clamps as mounting points for the ditch lights. Engine bay hasn't had its spring clean yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Changed the O I L using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W20, a NAPA Gold filter and the OEM crush ring. However, the normally easy task didn't come without some complications. 1) As I was emerging from under the car, the drain plug flew out of my hands onto the pavement causing the start of the threads to be boogered to the point where I couldn't start the plug threading upon re-installation. Knowing better than to force it and screw up the pan threads, I broke out my set of precision files and managed to file the damage to the starter threads to where they would grab the pan threads. 2) At one point as I was trying to thread it into the pan, the plug slipped from my hand and landed on the plastic undercover. It took me a while to locate and retrieve the plug. 3) As I was emptying the container of old oil into the original oil container, I managed to lose grip of the drained oil container resulting in a significant amount of oil to be deposited on the grass and onto my shoes and jeans. But the end result was an engine full of nice new oil.
After reading this man it sure makes my $45 and 10 minute oil change at the store worth so much more. (y)

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,324 Posts
After reading this man it sure makes my $45 and 10 minute oil change at the store worth so much more. (y)
LOL, yes!

Our last "free" oil change at the dealer was last November and the next one is coming up. I'm done with crawling under cars and scraping the skin off my knuckles - I've paid my dues... 😸

The next service will be with a local independent mechanic that we've used for over a decade. I hope he's been able to stay in business during the lockdown - not sure if that's considered an "essential" business.

My only question is what oil weight to request. @Okie Hick ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
LOL, yes!

Our last "free" oil change at the dealer was last November and the next one is coming up. I'm done with crawling under cars and scraping the skin off my knuckles - I've paid my dues... 😸

The next service will be with a local independent mechanic that we've used for over a decade. I hope he's been able to stay in business during the lockdown - not sure if that's considered an "essential" business.

My only question is what oil weight to request. @Okie Hick ?
Here mechanics shops are considered "essential" and have not closed.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,610 Posts
I put these hood struts on today. Very easy install. Did have one issue: the hood bolt was not long enough to accommodate the LP Adventure ditch light bracket as well as the strut bracket so light bracket came off. I'll try hood edge clamps as mounting points for the ditch lights. Engine bay hasn't had its spring clean yet.
Ive got my hood struts and the ADF ditch light brackets installed on the same hood stud.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ive got my hood struts and the ADF ditch light brackets installed on the same hood stud.
I saw that and thought that perhaps your brackets were thinner than the LP brackets. I'll have to investigate further. The LP brackets are quite hefty. Certainly overkill for the weight of any ditch light.

·
Registered
2019 Base MT
9 Posts
Got rid of the 6" whip antenna and replaced it with a Stubby Jr. The antenna mount changed after 2018, so I used a rubber grommet I picked up at Lowes to take up the space not concealed by the antenna.

Stubby.png

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,610 Posts
I saw that and thought that perhaps your brackets were thinner than the LP brackets. I'll have to investigate further. The LP brackets are quite hefty. Certainly overkill for the weight of any ditch light.
That would make sense. Yea, no need for crazy thick brackets for a simple light haha

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
This was only my 2nd funky experience in over 50 years of changing my own oil. I enjoy swapping an engine's life blood with the good clean stuff. I don't like the knuckle draggers touching my cars. WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE I know it's done right.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,012 Posts
Switched to my summer K02 tires,...all ready for the cabin now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Installed my new Geos with sparcos.
Swapped out the rear brake pads from Power Stop to Subaru OEM, had some squeaking going on in the rear brake pads. The Power Stops are pretty new.

Also tried installing Tint Film Covers on my rear Tail Lights but failed on the install

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,324 Posts
Also tried installing Tint Film Covers on my rear Tail Lights but failed on the install
That wasn't the only fail - from what I've read it's illegal and a hefty fine...

5641 - 5660 of 5671 Posts