Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
So yesterday decided to take on quite a big project...
Installed an 18 limited dashboard on my 18 premium 6MT. Was frustrated they added it later on the 20 premium 6MT, but at least they added it. Was a pretty fun DIY but definitely took some time. Really happy with results! Also took air vents off a limited Impreza on eBay and put them on as well. From that same car (it's a Canadian Impreza) I have a heated steering wheel that I am currently in the process of retrofitting, still haven't gotten there yet. Definitely will create a DIY once I finish it though.

Complete dash...looks amazing!

When dash is fully out: For those wondering, different clock spring is for the heated steering wheel project:)

Water Tire Architecture Automotive tire Auto part

The dash when it got in from dealer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Finished retrofitting my 2018 Crosstrek 6MT with a heated steering wheel from a Canadian Impreza today. Project that is 7 months in the making so really happy to finally have it finished for the winter season. Honestly the red stitching is not very noticeable and looks pretty OEM. And yes, I kept the shift paddles on there for kicks and giggles. Hoping my full DIY write-up for this will be done within the next couple of months. It will be in the DIY section.

·
Registered
203 Posts
View attachment 305019 View attachment 305020 View attachment 305021

Another wrap job today, wrapped the grey trim on the shifter and vent covers in ultra-gloss piano black.

Would like to paint the silver climate control rings gloss black but have no idea how to remove. Anyone have any idea?
Hey Dialogue I actually happen to have a trim bezel from these air vents lying around (long story). Anywho, I was pretty sick of working on hw for 4 hours, so I decided I'd take a look at this instead😂. Here is an image of the back of the air vent trim bezel. This bezel comes off pretty easily from the rest of the housing, but unfortunately removing the silver trim is a different story. The blue circles are seven tabs, which come out relatively easily with a bit of cursing and a small flat blade screwdriver. However, the pegs circled in red are a different story. The pegs are inserted into holes in the bezel. It seems these are plasti-welded to the body of the bezel. The only way I could see you removing this trim piece is if you can get a tiny saw blade in through the crevice between the bezel and the silver trim once you have all the clips loosened and sawing that plastic peg off. You may be able to use some glue when you put them back on and they should be fine. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
203 Posts

Finally completed the full retrofit of the 8 inch touchscreen into my car. Had a hard time finding much about doing it on the forums, so I’ll probably post a small diy on the parts that I got to do it. Everything from CarPlay to sxm works great and the resolution is much nicer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks clean! What's the extent of the work you did? Did you install a tablet in place of the factory radio?
This radio is actually the oem factory radio that comes on limited, and now sport models with the upgrade package. It was pretty simple, only required the radio and a couple of new modules really. No splicing or anything scary.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Got handbrake boot back from upholstery shop today. Finished fourth step in “orangeifying” my interior. So far I’ve done a OEM dash swap to change from black to orange stitching, installed orange CupHolderHero inserts, installed a OEM orange stitched center console lid from a limited, and installed orange stitched handbrake and shift boots from Redline Goods. Still plan on installing orange stitched door arm rests from the limited model and installing the orange stitched trim on the center console from JDM XV’s (yes I will have to mod them a bit). In case anyone’s wondering, JDM part numbers for those are 66077FL520VH & 66077FL530VH.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good work looks good! How difficult was it to replace the dash? sounds like a nightmare
It took me about a day. I’m pretty experienced in taking apart a lot of aspects of the interior (ie center console, lower dash). Almost everything comes out with a number 2 screwdriver and a trim removal tool. I mainly struggled removing the millions of screws on the right hand side, where the glove box is. Another finicky thing is you have to move the airbag from the old dash to the new one. Here’s some pics from the process. I took a ton of pictures in case anyone was super interested in a full write up on how to replace the dash, but I doubt I’ll do that. If anyone has questions in the future about it tho I’ll be able to help

·
Registered
203 Posts
Moving airbags? You say you're experienced but...
It was simply a task of disconnecting the airbag from the old dash and moving it to the new one. It attached securely and I made sure to check there was no difference between the 18 and 21 airbags (as I got a new dash from Subaru designed for the 21)

·
Registered
203 Posts
No stickers here…just them changing the oil without telling me every time I bring it in…(I can tell because I use AMSOIL oil filters and they use OEM). I guess it’s fine but it can get annoying, especially when they don’t tell me which has happened like three times already.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Recently installed LED rear turn signals in my car using some left over parts from a lighting project on my Dad's '08 G35 (to this day still the best car I've ever driven). Was able to mount the required resistor onto the taillight assembly using some automotive & electrical tape. However, since the assembly is plastic I will have to track the resistor and make sure it does not melt through the plastic housing. I used the electrical tape as an insulator, but am not sure if that'll be safe or not. I included a picture of the way I mounted the resistor (T-taps into the stock turn signal wiring & mounted in between the brake and turn housing) and the difference (left new right old). It is much more obvious in person. I used some Combriller 7440 LED amber bulbs if anyone is wondering. I plan on installing Diode Dynamic upgrades for the rear running lights and improved reverse lights soon as well. I will not be doing similar upgrades up front as I plan doing the clever LED Headlight retrofit on the Impreza Forum using the '20 & forward headlights (imo they look much better), installing yellow LED fogs & the JDM LED fog Liner (PN H4517FL300/10/20 (Silver, Orange, Blue)), and installing the JDM illuminated emblem (PN J1017FL440/30 (White/Blue)).

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I went to go test drive the MY2019s, one dealer in NJ had a black one and another had the blue, both moonroof package. The one with the blue already had the best price so I tried to haggle with the first dealer on a better price, but they just wouldn't move off of MSRP. Also at that time, the grey only came with the moonroof package so unfortunately I couldn't get that color.

I keep debating whether I can pick up the heated steering wheel somewhere and just install it in my car. Gotta figure the wiring is already set up in the car, the switch is on the steering wheel, so it should be plug and play and maybe just buy a fuse for the fuse box.
If you are ever interested in doing so, here you go

·
Registered
203 Posts
Where did you get the badge?
AstroKats I believe it’s a vinyl overlay and Qat posted a link quoted here

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, I saw that, thanks both!

Any ideas what color combo would work. The Crosstrek is DGM and the cats are mostly black.
I know there’s a ton of options but honestly I really like the shadeshift ultramarine with the matte white star (first image shown on sale page). I feel like it wouldn’t be too offensive, still looks like the normal logo with a little twist, and contrasts nicely.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had my Crosstrek in for the 2 recall yesterday, and they offered to do the multi-point inspection (about 30 items) for free while there. I said yes, of course, and everything passed. But just curious, is this normal, ie always free?
Yes in my experience it’s free anytime you bring it in for service. Now I’d assume you can’t just drop by and ask them to do it, but anytime you bring it in for warranties, recalls, or specific servicing they complete this check.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Automotive design Sports equipment Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gadget

Test fitted my 3D printed wireless charger pad today. It's working!!! Been in development for nearly a year at this point through a school project and very happy to see it finally come to fruition. I now have wireless CarPlay and fully integrated wireless charging. Below are some additional pictures of the prototypes and the finished product. I plan on releasing a separate write up when I completely finish this project on how it all works. It involves a retrofitted Xmode switch and a momentary to latching converter;).

Wood Rectangle Grey Wall Art

Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic component Hardware programmer

This is the final prototype compared to the original Subaru part.

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood Beige

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring

The progression of all of my prototypes from the inspiration to the completed product.

·
Registered
203 Posts
very interested to see a full write up on that.
Would it also be able to handle wireless Android Auto?
I personally use CPLAY2AIR for my wireless CarPlay; but I’m sure if you found a similar module for android auto it would work. I’ll try to detail more specifics in the write-up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This week I’ve been quite busy with the subie:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Car

Installed SS3 Yellow Sports and JDM LED liners. The SS3s were an absolute lighting game changer. The mainly help improve the blind spots when turning. Definitely worth the $. Got the JDM liners from JDMayamoto for anyone wondering. Wired it through the hood release port in the firewall and is switched on the latching fog light switch used for base model fog kits.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Installed LED reverse lights from JDM astar and new tail lights and side markers from Diode Dynamics (both HP3 Red). Every light in back now LED. The reverse lights are especially wonderful.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Vehicle Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire Hood

Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel

Followed @stupidchicken03 ‘s great guide for installing an LED light strip on the rear hatch. Used a COB LED 12V light strip I found on the jungle website. I definitely prefer COB strips due to the even light distribution and cleaner look. Such an improvement for lighting.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate

added LED headlights and pre-resisted LED turn signals. Cougar Motor H11s 10,000 LM for the HLs and OXILAM 7440 Ambers for the turn signals (both from the jungle).Drove @ night with Cougar’s and they make a huge difference. Also super happy with the beam pattern (not scattered like w/ some LEDs).

Car Tire Hood Grille Automotive tire

Hand Finger Material property Font Art

Finally, got some orange exterior accessories. The front license plate delete is from subie supply co. Got the vinyl emblems from Orsini. Absolutely love the design as an avid mountain biker. Also have wheel center cap vinyl emblems and orange winglets. Have yet to install them (raining every day!!!😡) but looking forward to it.

in other news, I’m working hard on my wireless Charger retrofit write-up😎. Hoping to get it out soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
dmiles2493, a couple questions... are you planning to sell these wireless charging pads? and if so, how long before you have you have a finished product available for sale? (Waiting for final write up) If made available for sale and if it can fit and charge a Samsung s21+ phone, I would like to try to pair this custom-made charging pad with the new Android Auto Motorola wireless dongle that was announced on CES 2022. This new AA dongle should be available by the end of January 2022. Maybe I can attach this dongle on the top underside of the cubby and use one of the USB ports to connect it.

MA1 WIRELESS CAR ADAPTER FOR ANDROID AUTO

View attachment 309118
I can tell you that unfortunately it will not work with a phone that has a length longer than around 5.7”. I am off from school the next two days so hopefully I’ll be able to finalize all of the details soon. It’s a lot of work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts