Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Washed it for the 2nd time in 24 hours.

The landscaping guys at the office came through today with their ballistic leaf blowers and sprayed wet leaves and mud all over the cars parked next to the grassy area. The guy who just bought a brand new BMW this weekend nearly had an aneurysm.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Installed a Curt Hitch receiver.

Used a multipurpose rasp bit in my cordless drill to widen the front bolt hole for the washer plate and carriage bolt head to fit through. I used a couple of buckets to get the hitch off the ground. In practice the buckets were a bit unstable so I ended up propping one end of the hitch on my raised knee while getting the nuts started on the other side. In general, it was a pretty easy job for one person.

- Note that since this is not a pass-through-the-bumper install, it is compatible with the rear bumper underguard.
- Flatten the box that the hitch came in and it's a perfect work mat for the garage floor.
- The rubber plug doesn't come with the hitch - bought it separately in the same Amazon order.
- Curt Manufacturing 13382 Trailer Hitch
- Curt Manufacturing 22276 Black Trailer Hitch Plug

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Floor

Vehicle Auto part Muffler Car Metal

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Nano-ceramic film on the front and rear door windows.

For the fronts, 32%, which is the legal limit for Georgia. For the rear, untinted, which actually does have a very slight tint.

Main purpose is to block heat. We'll see how that goes Monday when it sits in the lot at work all day.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
I had the untinted on the windshield of my RAV4. Can't do it on the Crosstrek due to the EyeSight.
I've got eyesight as well, so the front window is untouchable. I'm usually able to park so the sun is broadside or backside. But I can already tell the difference driving around when the sun is shining in the side windows.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Added a splash of color.

VVivid Satin Orange Chrome vinyl wrap. Got a 1' x 5' sample for about $12 on Amazon.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Opel zafira Center console

This was my trial run, learning how to do it. You'll see a nice nick right in the center - fingernail damage. The corners were not just right, either. I peeled that off and did it over.

Iron Hair iron Metal Wood Home appliance

Fun fact: That hair dryer traveled with The Mrs. from Taiwan when she came over for grad school in 1983.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Added a splash of color.

VVivid Satin Orange Chrome vinyl wrap. Got a 1' x 5' sample for about $12 on Amazon.

View attachment 289830
Well, while this looks awesome in photos and has gotten good to enthusiastic reactions, in practice it didn't work out so well. The orange is too reflective and can be distracting driving when it's sunny. So I'm back to stock grey. Fortunately the vinyl wrap comes off easily enough and with little mess.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Replaced stock speakers with Kicker DS series coaxial speakers. 3-way 6"x9" in the front doors, 2-way 6.5" in the back doors, and 2-way 3.5" in the dash. While I was at it I decided I might as well go ahead and put some 80 mil Kilmat in the doors. Lined as much of the outside skin as was humanly possible (more than I imagined, but I'm a small guy with small hands and a lot of patience). Put some around the speaker opening, on the larger expanses of metal, and over the holes on the inner skin. Still have plenty left to do the back hatch and a few selected spots in the cargo area.

Cabin noisiness does seem improved. I recorded a baseline decibel reading of my drive to and from work, using a phone app, several trips. Will be doing that again and comparing to see if there's any real improvement. Note - I do realize that what I applied is not sound insulation and I don't expect it to perform as such.

The speakers are a great improvement in terms of clarity and range in my music. Much tighter. I can enjoy the harmonies of First Aid Kit, the roar of Pelican, and the groove of Thievery Corporation equally well. I can't assess if the KilMat helps the sound since I didn't have it prior to the new speakers.

The doors do close with a nice, solid 'thunk' now.

Also I was lame and only took one picture - of the front driver's door with Kilmat installed on the outer skin.

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Blew a fuse! Got in the car this morning and the dome lights didn't come on. Then when I cranked it up I noticed that the small screen up on the dash didn't come on. Everything else worked fine so I headed to work. Got out and touched the door handle and it didn't lock. Pulled out the fob and it didn't lock. Opened the door and locked it with the switch. Panicked for a minute about being able to unlock it until I realized that there was this anachronism called a keyhole in the handle. When I used the key to unlock it later that day it set off the alarm, much to the amusement of coworkers. Back home, pulled out the multi-meter and located a blown 10 amp fuse in the dash. NOTE - there are spare mini fuses and a fuse puller tool in the engine bay fuse box.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Blew a fuse!

When got in the car this morning I noticed that the dome lights didn't come on. So I poked and prodded a bit, then went ahead and cranked her up. The little display on top of the dash didn't come on. Everything else looked fine so I drove to work. Got out, touched the door handle, and it didn't lock. Pulled out the fob and that wouldn't lock it, either. Opened the door and locked it with the switch. Then I panicked for a moment because the fob nor handle would unlock the doors, but then I realized that there was this anachronism known as a keyhole on the door handles.

Came out at the end of the day, pulled the valet key, and unlocked the door to honking and lights flashing. Of course the fob wouldn't stop it, so after fumbling about for a few moments I got in and started the car. Several coworkers were entertained.

Got home and went at the fuses with a multimeter, found a 10 amp one on the interior block that was bad. Replaced it and all is right once again.

Pro Tip: There are extra fuses and a fuse puller tool in the engine bay fuse box.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts