Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New pads and rotors about 10k miles ago. No issues until about 2-3k miles ago. When damp outside (but not raining), or any normal conditions, there are absolutely no braking issues. When it's raining a lot, my driver side front brakes grind really bad and don't feel like they are doing much. The second everything dries, they are perfectly fine again. I've looked at the brakes and don't see anything that stands out as wrong. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Some aftermarket brake pad behaves that way due to their application to stand higher operating temperature(e.g. for race). So if that affect too much on daily driving on wet weather, it is better to change to OE pad or other brand that give better grip on low temperature or wet weather.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could see where and how that would apply, and thank you for the suggestion. The only problem I see is, this issue is only affecting one corner.
Some aftermarket brake pad behaves that way due to their application to stand higher operating temperature(e.g. for race). So if that affect too much on daily driving on wet weather, it is better to change to OE pad or other brand that give better grip on low temperature or wet weather.

·
Registered
513 Posts
One corner problem is typically deposit on rotor issue, so you need to resurface if the thickness still meet the minimum or change rotor both sides.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One corner problem is typically deposit on rotor issue, so you need to resurface if the thickness still meet the minimum or change rotor both sides.
And I would like to agree with you again, but if that were the case, it would have some effect in all conditions. This issue only happens when very wet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You may compare the rust that appear on the rotor during rain, if both sides the same then there is chance that rotor may not be culprit, but deposit may not be even at the rotor at first place and when it rust may cause the rotor even more uneven

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a rust issue either. It doesn't start until after I have been driving in the rain.

I guess I am going to clean them and reseat them, and grease the slide pins. See if anything changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts