Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru of America just released its sales figures for last month, and ... the Crosstrek was the brand's top seller by a long shot, accounting for full 1/3rd of all Subarus sold. Over 14,000 Crosstreks sold last month, more than 5400 ahead of the second-place Outback:

I'm sure that Subaru's supply chain issues are at least partially responsible for this, but still ... it says a lot about how highly both the company and its buyers value our cars!

·
Registered
2023 Pure Red Limited
93 Posts
Subaru of America just released its sales figures for last month, and ... the Crosstrek was the brand's top seller by a long shot, accounting for full 1/3rd of all Subarus sold. Over 14,000 Crosstreks sold last month, more than 5400 ahead of the second-place Outback:

I'm sure that Subaru's supply chain issues are at least partially responsible for this, but still ... it says a lot about how highly both the company and its buyers value our cars!
Do you think they could sell even more if they made them here in the US?

·
Registered
436 Posts
All the more amazing being that all Crosstreks are manufactured in Gunma, Japan, and must be roro'd across the Pacific.

·
Administrator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. I know there are people who only look for cars that are assembled in America, but I'd guess there are at least as many people who prefer Japanese-made vehicles, since they think quality control is stronger there.

The really interesting thing there is how heavily the Crosstrek is outselling the Forester, which comes from the same Japanese factories as the Crosstrek and shares a lot of its parts. Subaru is clearly prioritizing the Crosstrek over the Forester these days, even though the Forester is the more expensive car, and presumably the higher-margin vehicle.

Those WRX numbers are brutal. Any sane control group would've told them plastic fender covers on a sedan is not a good idea.
The YTD numbers for the WRX are way down, largely I think because of the model changeover, but last month's numbers were really good. I know that WRX people basically have always lived for the chance to hate on Subaru's design choices, though, and I won't begrudge them that.

·
Registered
2022 Sport
38 Posts
Personally I was very happy to find out that our crosstreks were built and put together in Japan. I have an old school way of thinking, but I tend to think that most cars put together in Japan are of better quality than those put together elsewhere.

·
Registered
2023 Pure Red Limited
93 Posts
Nope. I know there are people who only look for cars that are assembled in America, but I'd guess there are at least as many people who prefer Japanese-made vehicles, since they think quality control is stronger there.

The really interesting thing there is how heavily the Crosstrek is outselling the Forester, which comes from the same Japanese factories as the Crosstrek and shares a lot of its parts. Subaru is clearly prioritizing the Crosstrek over the Forester these days, even though the Forester is the more expensive car, and presumably the higher-margin vehicle.

The YTD numbers for the WRX are way down, largely I think because of the model changeover, but last month's numbers were really good. I know that WRX people basically have always lived for the chance to hate on Subaru's design choices, though, and I won't begrudge them that.
Personally I was very happy to find out that our crosstreks were built and put together in Japan. I have an old school way of thinking, but I tend to think that most cars put together in Japan are of better quality than those put together elsewhere.
Oh, yeah. I wasn't even thinking of the Made in America angle on this. I was thinking about the ability to produce more and get more to dealerships faster without the boat ride, charge less due to less shipping, etc.

More of a supply increase --> sales increase question, not a patriotic-America question.

·
Administrator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, gotcha. I'm guessing the main issue there is the fluctuating currency exchange rate between the dollar and the yen, and that's something I don't really keep an eye on.

Subaru's going to have to rethink its production locations over the next few years, though, as it starts switching to EVs. The new infrastructure bill that has just been proposed in Congress is going to focus the government's EV rebates on cars that have US-sourced batteries and battery materials, and if that becomes law it will throw a monkey wrench in Subaru's plans to import EVs from Japan.

·
Registered
763 Posts

But YTD Outback actually out sold Crosstrek by a small amount.

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
127 Posts
Seems like it was a good call for Subaru to not change the Crosstrek's design this year. After seeing what they did to the WRX and BRZ, I can't imagine what they have in store for our precious... 😕

·
Administrator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. I'm not going to make any judgements on the '23 WRX until I see one in person ... but that new BRZ is beautiful.

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
127 Posts
I wish I felt the same as you guys, both are beautiful on the inside (stronger chassis, better engine, etc.) but those front and rear ends just aren't doing it for me. I never planned on buying any of those cars so it won't be too hard to get over it. 😅

·
Registered
2 Posts

It was also the fastest selling vehicle in the USA last month!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Still ridiculous they got rid of the sport wagon WRX option years ago and continue not to offer it with the new gen. Also the restyle is less than inspiring. It's like the wrx lost its touch and the GR Corolla will be everything the WRX should be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts