Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I purchased my Limited in August 2019. Not too many miles on it with mostly in town driving. I recently had it checked out and a 4 wheel alignment. Everything was great. Anyway I have to head across state and hit the highway....65 mph on a stretch of repaired potholes. HOLY CRAP. The car bounced, not up and down but left to right. This is a first. Tires and wheels, excellent. This is a first on all the cars I’ve owned, I never had a car throw itself left and right. Any ideas as to what the heck is going on is greatly appreciated. Granted theres been some small problems but this is a first. BTW, I don’t know what people are complaining about, powerwise. This beast delivered at...get this...if you can believe it....33.4 mpg...lol.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
559 Posts
Does your 2019 Limited trim have Eyesight and the lane departure feature?
Maybe it’s just trying to keep itself in the driving lane that it ‘sees’.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
I'd have the alignment checked again. Make sure they got the toe correct. Some places like to put a little toe in for the front, which is not advised for Subarus.

I'd also verify your tire pressures just to make sure it isn't something simple like that.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm with sas-XV on this one.There's absolutely nothing mechanical that can cause a car to do that.I think it's a safe bet that the OP has never had a car with eyesight or anything similar.That's why none of his cars ever did that before.Turn off lane keep assist and see how it goes.If my car had that feature,I would turn it off anyway.I've heard a few horror stories of LKA causing some serious crashes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, theres Eyesight but I turned off everything the beginning of winter and it hasn’t been on since. I’m a fanatic about tire pressure and everything was spot on. Sarang may be onto something since it was just aligned. Going to speak with the dealer about it.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
One of the things I like about Subarus are their suspension geometry. The do well in moose tests. I feel very confident pushing it at the limits, so if it's getting squirrelly I would really wonder if something is wrong.

If the car wasn't so new I'd say to inspect all the control arm bushings. Maybe one is torn?

Eyesight doesn't really correct harshly, so I didn't think that sounded like what OP is describing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the things I like about Subarus are their suspension geometry. The do well in moose tests. I feel very confident pushing it at the limits, so if it's getting squirrelly I would really wonder if something is wrong.

If the car wasn't so new I'd say to inspect all the control arm bushings. Maybe one is torn?

Eyesight doesn't really correct harshly, so I didn't think that sounded like what OP is describing.
Going into shop tomorrow. Service manager mentioned steering angle. I’ll post the outcome.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a side note, if your MY19 Crosstrek came with the same Yokohama Geolanders as our My18, they are not the best tire on the highway(horrible tracking, noise, etc..). Due to an accidental 1.5 inch roofing nail just making it into the sidewall of one of the tires, I decided to replace all 4 tire with General Altimax RT43. Afterwards, it gave me perspective that the Yokohama tire is really not well suited to the road. With the new tires on, the tracking on the highway was vastly improved along with less noise, and much smoother. Hope the shop gets it dialed in for you.
regards

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. As I write this I’m sitting at the dealer waiting for a ride home. The service manager just told me one of their techs took out the Trek and he felt it wasn’t right. They asked if they could have it for a day or two. They’re going to put it on the alignment rack.... again and are looking at the struts. WTF did I buy? Anyway it’s under warranty. Might be my first and last Subaru.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
I hope it works out for you. It's nice that they acknowledged the issue, I've heard a lot of dealer service department horror stories.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, took it into dealer Tuesday 1pm as per their instructions. Wasn’t really checked until the afternoon. next day and on Thursday they requested I take it with new Falken tires on it. Drive it and let them know. If theres still a problem a Subaru tech will be in town next week. So the tires I had on it, Goodyear Assurance were supposedly too hard. The Falkens being new and softer do what we all know...new tires are great. However after driving it a bit including taking it out to the highway with some washboard, the side to side action was there but slightly dampened by the new tires. It’s going back and I’ll see what the tech says. Not too happy at this point.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update. The Trek is back at the dealers and a Subaru Engineer is supposed to take a look at it. Lets see what happens.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This gets better.... Not the tires. They’ve checked everything and now maybe a strut as per the Subaru Engineer. They took it out...still a problem. They’re now measuring everything. I’m totally baffled. The car may need an exorcism. I double checked with the supervisor to make sure I wasn’t imagining the problem. Nope...somethings not right. They’re offering me a loaner. Think Ill get the loaner in the morning. Don’t know if I’ll ever see my car again. (knew I shouldn’t have paid it off)

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
This gets better.... Not the tires. They’ve checked everything and now maybe a strut as per the Subaru Engineer. They took it out...still a problem. They’re now measuring everything. I’m totally baffled. The car may need an exorcism. I double checked with the supervisor to make sure I wasn’t imagining the problem. Nope...somethings not right. They’re offering me a loaner. Think Ill get the loaner in the morning. Don’t know if I’ll ever see my car again. (knew I shouldn’t have paid it off)
Actually them giving you a loaner is nice. Maybe you'll get a bunch of new components out of it. New struts and some new control arms wouldn't be bad.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually them giving you a loaner is nice. Maybe you'll get a bunch of new components out of it. New struts and some new control arms wouldn't be bad.
From what I’m hearing they’re trying a bunch of parts. When they mentioned they were measuring everything I was kind of shocked. Its just a strange problem that isn’t too obvious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts