Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor, Dark Blue Pearl
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the newer version of the Weathertech floor liners in the Crosstrek-- the HPs? I am not thrilled about the coverage that the oem rubber floor liners provide, so looking at the options. I had the original Weathertech floorliners in my last vehicle for over 10 years, and really liked them. They eventually started to show some wear and curling, but all pretty good for a decade of work I'd say. These ones are injection molded rubber, so maybe more like the Huskys in some regards?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
95 Posts
I replaced the OEM front mats with with Weathertech. Main complaint was the area around the throttle pedal. I live in the midst of an evergreen forest, no covered parking and the fir needle build up in that area was unacceptable. I have used Weathertech for decades in my rigs and have about the same experience as you, about every 10 years it's time for a new set.
Bought my 21 Ltd. in November and ordered the Weathertech within the first few months. Not sure of the "HD" designation, mine seem to be similar materials from past purchases. I'm more concerned with the coverage and fit than the materials.

·
Registered
2021 Premium CVT
15 Posts
I haven't looked into the HD's but I wouldn't get another set of Weathertechs after the issues I had with them in my old Impreza. They were awesome for the first three months or so but then started to lift way from the transmission hump and the left side near the gas cap release. It's like they started to cup and flex inward. I called them about it and they said they had a one time replacement program but the next set would be on me. Made me wonder if they get that type of calls a lot. I was living in CT at the time and needed the "bucket" design so I put up with it. Hope your experience is different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it seems there's not a lot of feedback forthcoming on the new version of the Weathertechs. I will take it upon myself to be a beta tester :) I'll post back my impressions when they arrive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, it seems there's not a lot of feedback forthcoming on the new version of the Weathertechs. I will take it upon myself to be a beta tester :) I'll post back my impressions when they arrive.
Second beta tester here. I pick up my new mats from the post office Tuesday, and will update any issues. They are the new HP's which are supposed to be more malleable.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight
24 Posts
I went with the Huskys for my 2018 Limited. A family member just bought a 2021 Crosstrek and was offered the Subaru OEM winter mats. My 2018 Huskys mats also fit the 2021 MY. Here are comparison pics between the Huskys and the Subaru OEM winter mats.

The choice is pretty easy. (y)

Cheers,

JayTee

husky vs oem mats driver side.jpg husky vs oem mats pass side.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Second beta tester here. I pick up my new mats from the post office Tuesday, and will update any issues. They are the new HP's which are supposed to be more malleable.
That will technically make you "first", as you'll certainly get them before I do. Mine aren't showing as shipped yet. Between the two of us, we can serve the community well with our reviews :)

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
90 Posts
I wanted to give the new Hp liners a shot and poured over youtube videos comparing them. I ended up with their originals because they seemed to be a harder material vs softer rubber feel.
I would like to read more foot on experience though for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My best guess is that there will be a tradeoff. The originals should, in theory, be a bit more durable. The HPs likely have a nicer/quieter feel to them, and hopefully won't get the curling edges that the originals get (eventually). I was back and forth several times on whether to get the black to match the carpet or the gray to match the seats. Ended up going black.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
291 Posts
I went with the Huskys for my 2018 Limited. A family member just bought a 2021 Crosstrek and was offered the Subaru OEM winter mats. My 2018 Huskys mats also fit the 2021 MY. Here are comparison pics between the Huskys and the Subaru OEM winter mats.

The choice is pretty easy. (y)

Cheers,

JayTee

View attachment 304945 View attachment 304944
I bought the same Husky mats, front and rear - fit perfectly and do the job. Some people don't like cutting a hole for the gas cap lever, but I haven't had an issue with much stuff getting in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The HP mats so far are good. they don't quite have the tight fit I was expecting, but with warmer weather assume they will relax and fit better (at most at the edge there is a 1/5 inch gap). They are much easier to remove and clean than my original weather tech mats in my previous Outback, which to me is worth it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The HP mats so far are good. they don't quite have the tight fit I was expecting, but with warmer weather assume they will relax and fit better (at most at the edge there is a 1/5 inch gap). They are much easier to remove and clean than my original weather tech mats in my previous Outback, which to me is worth it.
Nice! Throw up a pic or two if you have a chance to. I ordered on Apr 3, and still showing as "in progress". Maybe you got the last set they had on hand. Mine should be pretty fresh when they finally get here :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Husky's in my MY18. Excellent mats. Perfect fit. Just washed the winter crud out of them on Sunday. I found a couple of nubs broken off but otherwise in good shape. OE carpet underneath was like new. Some things don't need to be made "better".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is the gap I was talking about. I am sure with warmer weather it will relax and fit better, but has been cold since I installed them. I also apologize for the dirty matts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the gap I was talking about. I am sure with warmer weather it will relax and fit better, but has been cold since I installed them. I also apologize for the dirty matts.
Interesting that in the thread about using Impreza interior items in the Crosstrek, someone else mentioned that they took Weathertechs out of their Impreza and put them in the Crosstrek and they appear to be a few millimeters too small. Perhaps the two interiors are in fact not completely identical, and Weathertech just uses the same mold as they are thought to be close enough. If that's actually the case, that would be a somewhat disappointing move on their part, as they are known for their "perfect fit." Now we just have to find someone with Huskies that fit in their XV and put them in the Impreza and see if they are too big :) The Impreza and Crosstrek are after all, made in two different factories, correct?

Finally got shipping confirmation, so hope to have mine in a few days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, they finally arrived today. Overall, I am pretty happy with them. They of course, cover considerably better than the oem's, especially around the deadpedal and accelerator. Here's the oem's over top of the Weathertechs for comparison.
IMG_20210504_145418495.jpg

Other than covering the trans hump, the coverage is fairly similar for the rears. The Weathertechs have a bit more of a "bowl" shape to them to form fit, and hold a slightly larger size spilled iced coffee should it come to that.
IMG_20210504_145407109.jpg

I do like the feel and sound of these in comparison to the original Weathertech liners. They feel pretty firmly set in place under the feet, because of the nubs on the underside that the original liners don't have. Because they are a bit softer than the original liners, they have less of that "walking on an air hockey table" sound than the originals have.
IMG_20210504_145704615.jpg

Fit is quite good. Front driver's could be a bit better around the fuel door release; I'd rather it overlap a little versus leaving the gap of exposed carpet that is there and will inevitably attract dirt like a magnet. Rears fit very well. I put them in the sun for a few minutes, which seemed to soften them a little and improve the fit. I probably would have left them another few if Mother nature didn't start to spritz a little. I think when the clouds clear, I will put them back again for another 5-10 mins. Passenger side needs more sun time for sure, just to take a couple of the edges down a bit. In hindsight, given the palette of my interior, I probably should have gone with the grey ones. The black ones just always look dirty to me as they show the dust so much more. My wife has black ones in her Rav, and I had greys in my Frontier for 11 years-- hers always looked dirty in comparison to mine and I always just put it off to her being messier than me :)
IMG_20210504_150212142.jpg IMG_20210504_150238447.jpg

They were jeezly expensive, but a good investment to keep the carpets clean'ish. I expect I should get 10 years out of these ones, so roughly = to a case of craft beer a year. Time will tell of course if these hold up as well as the original liners. We pay a premium for many accessories up here, and floor mats (and beer) are no exception, whether you go Weathertech, Husky or others. Under different circumstances, this would have been an item I would've probably shipped to a border storage place in Montana and drove down to pick up for about a $40-50 cost savings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts