Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on this forum as much as my past Jeep forums, always fixing something lol.

Anyone notice a seemingly weak battery with their 2018 model? Have yet to test it but even when new if the temp dropped to 40F I'd get a slow laborious crank. Worse the colder it is. Is this model supplied with a low quality battery?

Bonus pic of the Crosstrek in New Mexico in February.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,300 Posts
Not on this forum as much as my past Jeep forums, always fixing something lol.

Anyone notice a seemingly weak battery with their 2018 model? Have yet to test it but even when new if the temp dropped to 40F I'd get a slow laborious crank. Worse the colder it is. Is this model supplied with a low quality battery?

Bonus pic of the Crosstrek in New Mexico in February.
Yep, last winter our 2018 would barely crank, up in the mountains when it dropped into the teens. And it was only a year old then. Granted, it's a challenge keeping it even 50% charged with short commutes in traffic but that was after three hours of freeway driving. I'm considering getting a spare battery before it starts snowing...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am not 100% convinced it is a major issue yet but I too have noticed a more labored crank in the 40-50 degree F range that has me just a touch concerned. That being said there are plenty of people operating these vehicles at MUCH lower temps so I'm lumping this concern in with the rest of my automotive hypochondria and assuming everything is fine. Lets hope that holds true.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
There are loads of battery threads here, some that I've started. Others will say that the battery is fine and you just need to charge it periodically with an external charger. That's not practical for us (underground garage in our condo building with the nearest outlet on the other side of the garage). I've even installed a solar panel in the moonroof, and it's almost always sunny here but it's a challenge to keep the resting voltage over 12v. After a long drive up into the mountains last December, and a low of 13F overnight, I thought it wasn't going to start...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that settles it, I guess I'll be keeping an eye out on for sales at O'reillys. I see the Optima Red Top has the highest CCA for this car.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Premium w eyesight, Falken Wildpeak 225/60R16, Yakima SkyBox 16, etc.
8 Posts
My original 2018 Panasonic died 2 weeks ago. Seems premature for an OEM battery, but it is getting colder here in NM. (thanks for sharing the pic, planning to get out there myself!)

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,854 Posts
Are you guys keeping an eye on your battery voltage, esp now with more cold weather? Even if you don't have the cig plug display, you can check it on your screen, too. Just go into the service menu and it is displayed there. Hold Home and double click the tuning knob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i hadn’t noticed any issue with the battery in my 2018 Premium, but at the 6 month service the dealer replaced the battery under warranty without me asking. So weak batteries appear to be a thing with Crosstreks.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i hadn’t noticed any issue with the battery in my 2018 Premium, but at the 6 month service the dealer replaced the battery under warranty without me asking. So weak batteries appear to be a thing with Crosstreks.
Did you complain about it? If not, I wonder why they would do that. There wasn't a recall.

We've had a lot of cars and I can't remember one that was so difficult to keep even 50% charged...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you complain about it? If not, I wonder why they would do that. There wasn't a recall.

We've had a lot of cars and I can't remember one that was so difficult to keep even 50% charged...
Maybe too many of the car's electronics are always ON and continually draining the battery too much when the car's not running ? Just a guess. I will measure mine with an ampmeter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Recently purchased 2018 Crosstrek with 23k miles on it.
With cold weather noticed it takes some extra seconds to crank and start the car.
Just replaced stock Panasonic battery with a new Everstart from local Walmart.
The new one is 640 CCA.
Probably the stock one was still good or at the end of service life (usually they last 3-5 years... 3 in cold climate and 5 in moderate).
Just don't like an idea of getting stuck in the morning as I'm heading to work or driving my kid to school.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Recently purchased 2018 Crosstrek with 23k miles on it.
With cold weather noticed it takes some extra seconds to crank and start the car.
Just replaced stock Panasonic battery with a new Everstart from local Walmart.
The new one is 640 CCA.
Probably the stock one was still good or at the end of service life (usually they last 3-5 years... 3 in cold climate and 5 in moderate).
Just don't like an idea of getting stuck in the morning as I'm heading to work or driving my kid to school.
Yep, Other AstroKat may be getting a new battery for Christmas. I'm sure she'll be thrilled... 😸

1 - 14 of 14 Posts