Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago, we got hit by a truck requiring replacement of driver door, front LEFT fender and FENDER LINER, hood, front bumper and associated parts. 2 days ago, we drove the car for the first time for more than 12 miles. 3 hours up to Portland Maine, then 3 hours back Saturday evening (2 hours of heavy rain). Exiting the car back home, we discovered a lot of water in the under carpet of the car, not yet on top of the floor mats. This was in all seats, front and back.

I removed the mats then vacuumed a gallon of water out of the car (I measured it when I dumped the shop vac). Sunday morning, I vacuumed again and got 2 more cups, then let the car sit in the sun with the windows half open. It's still damp this morning. I am very concerned about mold developing, requiring full replacement of the carpets.

Reading about other people's similar problems, I expect the problem is either and hope the insurance will pay for it:
1. AC drain hose is crimped or clogged or disconnected
2. left front wheel well liner has a problem allowing water to be forced up into the car driving in hard rain
3. how the front hood drains away from the car isn't working properly.

I will vacuum the floor again this morning, but I don't have the ability to lift the carpets to fully dry it out. I can park the car in my barn if it rains. Would a house fan blowing inside the car help? It's pretty humid outside.
Any suggestions? My primary concern at this point is mold development.
Car is a 2019 Base Impreza hatchback so the body and components are the same as the Crosstrek.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
Fans would help, but maybe not that much if it's really humid. Living in Phoenix, my go to method would be to park in the sun with the windows cracked. Maybe you could incorporate a space heater? Just be careful that you don't heat damage anything.

It sounds like you did your research, I would check those three items in that order, or have the shop check them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like something was dislodged in the firewall or pillar. You should be able to drive without the front fender and liner and get no water inside.

Are you sure the door is sealing the entire way around? So many possibilities that without testing to see where the water is coming in, it's just a guessing game.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. If you wanted to check fender for leak you could, after car is dry, use a high pressure car wash hose and direct the water around the inner fender while checking for leaks. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
300 Posts
Since the driver door was also replaced I would not rule out the possibility of a poor seal there -- either the weatherstripping, a minor misalignment, or the body being so badly torqued that things will never fit snugly. Be sure your insurance company knows about this so they can help to get the truck's insurance company to cover what could turn out to be declared a total loss in the worst case. Good luck.

·
Not a Canadian
2,600 Posts
Since I had a similar leak a few years ago I'd suspect a broken seal on the driver side of the windshield or the door weather stripping not seating properly. That pillar may have been stressed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sadly while taking it back to the shop is the way to go, I have little faith in their ability to repair or concern about your problem. However if it is a shop affiliated with Subaru then I would bring it back and make more noise than a 7 year old who wants their way. Kick, scream, stomp your feet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
399 Posts
imo one of the best ways to find water leaks is a automotive smoke machine. only one you listed it won’t find is the AC drain. obviously I’m going with the majority here & guessing it’s from the body work done.

another thing you need to consider is if there’s wiring ran under the carpet. this is a somewhat common problem with “flood” cars that are “rebuilt” that years down the road if water penetrates a harness and/or module the cooper will start to corrode from the moisture & can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I hope its something more simple than what's identified above.
Check the door drain hole. One fella had a pool on his floor and it turns out that the hole was plugged.

I'll be surprised if this is a winner, but it's easy to check and easy to fix.
Otherwise, yup, take it back.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've found the only way to really address the carpet or fabric seats in a car after the incursion of water or liquid of that magnitude is to shampoo it(see link).
shampooer, carpet/fabric
You'll be shocked what comes out of the carpet. I'd go over some of the drain points in the car:
1) Open sunroof and clean the channels/tracks. The sunroof never gets used on the families car, yet every year when I open to clean it, it's got debris(horrid seal).
2) Open the cabin filter cavity to remove and inspect the area for debris. I'll bet there is loads to remove from here. You'll need to drop or pull the glove box.
3) I'd clean out the drain points at the lower corners of the front windscreen(on the cowl and in engine bay above strut towers). There is an area, at the top corners of the engine bay, near cowl, that can get clogged with debris. You might tackle this. I clean that area every year on the families car.
I'd start with this and see what you find.
regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the car back to Body Shop. They discovered that the drains by the hood and the cabin filter were totally clogged with tree droppings, causing water to back up and overflow/trickle onto the floor. They pulled the rugs, and dried the car out in the "paint room" for a couple hours. And only charged me $21 for a next cabin filter. They suggested that I run a home dehumidifier in the car with windows closed to remove more moisture. If the weather changes to dry air, then a strong blower/ fan with the windows open.
Now the Security Indicator Light (next to the MPG gauge) is blinking red every 4 seconds when the car is unlocked. It blinks every second when the car is locked.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Took the car back to Body Shop. They discovered that the drains by the hood and the cabin filter were totally clogged with tree droppings, causing water to back up and overflow/trickle onto the floor. They pulled the rugs, and dried the car out in the "paint room" for a couple hours. And only charged me $21 for a next cabin filter. They suggested that I run a home dehumidifier in the car with windows closed to remove more moisture. If the weather changes to dry air, then a strong blower/ fan with the windows open.
Now the Security Indicator Light (next to the MPG gauge) is blinking red every 4 seconds when the car is unlocked. It blinks every second when the car is locked.
Glad they found the problem. Was the car sitting outside without the hood waiting for the parts?

The security indicator light sounds correct. Per the manual, unarmed the light will flash about every 3 seconds. When in "surveillance state" (locked), it flashes twice every 2 seconds.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I was close, but really happy that resolution has been found.
Of course; now it's easy to find help resources on this forum, and others.

They pulled the rugs, and dried the car out in the "paint room" for a couple hours.
That was decent of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts