Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

381 - 397 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,885 Posts
I believe that I may have made the critical error of not turning off the engine while filling it with gas. I will probably keep an eye on miles on each tank for a while just to make sure that it's not something else.
Seriously? Were you also smoking a cigarette? 😸

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #384 (Edited)
One of the shocks on the rear of the Submaru was leaking oil and pretty much shot.

So I got a set of Bilstein B4 shocks and put them on this afternoon. The ride is much better now.

I consider this a maintenance issue and not part of the larger water submersion problem, but I figured that I would mention it.

(Yes, I tightened that bottom bolt on the right hand shock)

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
499 Posts
Actually the oe shock ride is excellent, it is just the durability is a problem, but it is expected with the price point they sell. I dont mind 20% more for the price, aslong as 1.5-2 times more durable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Actually the oe shock ride is excellent, it is just the durability is a problem, but it is not expected with the price point they sell. I dont mind 20% more for the price, aslong as 1.5-2 times more durable.
I've owned 2 of the 2014 limited Crosstreks but I've never driven a new Crosstrek of this series, so I had no point of reference. I just knew that it sucked pretty badly before I replaced these shocks. It now feels a lot more like my wife's 2018.

One new problem that I've been noticing since the temperature has been so high, my heating and air is blowing out hot air even when on max A/C.

I believe that this is caused by a bad blend door actuator. One big problem is that my donor car (2014 Impreza) doesn't have one of these.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Since I got it back on the road, I noticed that the throttle seems jumpy with a lack of power, like it has dead spots in it's range of travel. It's subtile, but I used the torque app and watched the throttle butterfly jumping around when I got to about 60% throttle.

So, I pulled the spare throttle petal from my parts car and installed it.

What a difference! More horse power from dead stops and more consistent and powerful acceleration.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #388 (Edited)
I've been noticing that instead of wonderful, chilly air conditioning, I've been getting mostly heat. So I started looking into it and discovered that my blending flap actuator isn't working.

So, I ordered a used one off of eBay and it arrived today. I installed it...

And it's working perfectly now.

I also fixed the vent/recycle actuator by replacing the motor from my parts car actuator (different mechanically but same motor)

So that's now working too and my air conditioning is chilly! 😁

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,383 Posts
Geez, I'll sure give you credit for persistence. I would have given up a long time ago. And I am pretty good at fixing up stuff that should be thrown out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Geez, I'll sure give you credit for persistence. I would have given up a long time ago. And I am pretty good at fixing up stuff that should be thrown out.
Well, I figured that this was going to be a big project and it has been. It's kinda of like a renovation on a house, you take it one problem at a time.
My wife rode in it over the weekend and said "You know, you got pretty lucky with this car.", to which I said "No, absolutely everything has needed cleaning or replacement. I'm just really happy that I got the parts car." If I hadn't, it would have been a lot more expensive.

Today I'll be driving it to Columbus, Ohio (about a 3-hour drive) to meet up with a co-worker, so we'll see how well the transmission holds up. I am currently getting a little surging from it at certain speeds which may be something failing or could just be the water contamination in the CVT fluid.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
The Submaru made the 406 mile round trip yesterday with only two problems.

When I started back I got about 15 miles and my "trans oil over temp" indication started flashing. I also needed gas so I pulled into a gas station and filled up. When I restarted the light was out but the transmission did some weird thrusting and lurching for just the first few seconds. The light stayed out for the rest of the trip.

I plan on flushing the CVT one more time today and hoping that it was just a water in the fluid thing.

Other thing is my air conditioning seems intermittent. I might take it to a shop for this since I don't have the equipment, the R134a and the expertise for A/C.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Apparently, driving with some water contamination causes the water to evaporate away. Here's my fluid that I drained out today:

I see no major milky contamination indicative of water, like I had before.

Maybe it was a level problem now that the water is missing.

Reactions: Gorli and AstroKats

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
I drove the Submaru 880 miles for work yesterday to Traverse City, Michigan and back.

It worked flawlessly including the undocumented feature of multi-colored dash illumination for my reading/driving pleasure. 😉

The center differential only seems to bind or be noisy when turning tightly, so I think that's going to wait for more annoyance before I replaced it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
As usual, I learned something new about the Crosstreks today. I read somewhere early on in this project that the key-less entry information was stored in the ECM. This was incorrect. I learned from looking through the service manual that there is a key-less entry controller module that also manages communication to the TPMS devices in the tires.

So, I pulled the one from my parts Impreza, swapped out the muddy one in the Submaru... and it worked! Now my key-less entry works with the all of the modules from the Impreza. Hallelujah! 😊😊😊

that seatbelt is the driver's side backseat. That's the module that you see in the middle of the picture.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Last week when I was futzing around with the original modules from my Crosstrek, I left the original (but cleaned) transmission module in my car, but swapped all of the other ones in and then back out. Not sure why I left the transmission one in, probably laziness.

This week my gas milage went from 26mpg to 29 with all other things staying the same. I also lost the transmission surges that I was getting, but I'm not sure if that might have changed when I changed the CVT fluid the last time.

3mpg isn't a lot, but I'll take it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
First oil change completed at 80K! Now to load the miles on this car and get it to repay me for years of frustration.

Time to refresh remaining issues;

1) airbags inoperable. Not really manifesting itself in anything other than dash lights currently, but would hate to need them!

2) cruise inoperable due to problem#1.

I believe that's it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
First oil change completed at 80K! Now to load the miles on this car and get it to repay me for years of frustration.

Time to refresh remaining issues;

1) airbags inoperable. Not really manifesting itself in anything other than dash lights currently, but would hate to need them!

2) cruise inoperable due to problem#1.

I believe that's it.
Our nearly 20yo Honda has developed a leak when it rains. The driver's (RH) side floor gets soaked. Judging by following the stains, the water appears to travel down the steering column to the carpet. Honda is too old to be affected by the Takata air bag recall but after really heavy rain the Airbag light is now permanently illuminated on the dash so I guess water got into the Honda's sensor/system after really recent heavy rain. It makes me wonder and is also probably a stupid question given how much work you've done on Submaru but have you checked the VIN to see if it was recalled for the Takata airbag issue?
Wouldn't it be nice if you get have it replaced for free and use the cruise control?

381 - 397 of 397 Posts