Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

341 - 360 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Probably taking the scenic route with layovers at points of interest.

artosa

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
No title yesterday (Saturday) either.

Also, I took the rear view camera apart to see if there are signs of water infiltration. There are. I'm actually kind of amazed that there aren't more problems considering how poorly sealed they are.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
I've been thinking about the upcoming CVT flush, which may be followed by many more to get the mud out of the transmission at $80 a flush.

As an alternative, I thought of attaching a inline filter to the cooling line, drive it, and maybe only change it one more time.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
650 Posts
If there's still mud in the trans and lines, make sure the filter capacity is high enough. Don' know if there is any bypass as a safety.

artosa

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
999 Posts
Haven't looked at the Trek's setup, but can you put the suction end in a bucket of clean and the pressure end into an empty bucket and just run it?
I'd want to drop the pan myself.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Haven't looked at the Trek's setup, but can you put the suction end in a bucket of clean and the pressure end into an empty bucket and just run it?
I'd want to drop the pan myself.
I've seen that process that you describe done in videos, but it would still require gallons of CVT fluid that would be wasted. It could easily cost hundreds just in the fluid. Remember, I have a replacement transmission if my filter experiment trashes the contaminated one. I'd rather sell the good one, but I consider it worth the risk to experiment with the original and just replace it if all goes wrong.

I have dropped the pan and wiped out as much of the contaminated fluid as I could reach with paper towels when I did the initial fluid change.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
If there's still mud in the trans and lines, make sure the filter capacity is high enough. Don' know if there is any bypass as a safety.

artosa
The filter that I have settled on would be a hydraulic fluid filter that has a bypass and filters to 10 micron. I hope that would be small enough, without knowing for sure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
The title arrived today, only a week and a half to travel the 30 miles to my mailbox. Ironically, the most flood damaged vehicle that I've ever seen had no mention of flood on the rebuilt title. Good job Indiana, all-around, really, bravo!

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
And after only hours of standing and sitting in line, the Submaru is street legal again!

I also picked up the filter that I intend to install to remove any particulate contamination.

And some barbed nipples to adapt it;

Now the next hurdle is to figure out which direction the CVT fluid flows through the heat exchanger, which is where I intend to mount the filter.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #350 (Edited)
I watched some videos of how other people suggest removing water contamination from hydraulic fluid, and I figured that CVT fluid will be similar, so I came up with my own unique idea.

I'm going to heat it until the water becomes a vapor and steams off. I'm using my wife's old FryDaddy frier to do the heating.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
Are you going to toss in some French Fries? 😸

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Are you going to toss in some French Fries? 😸
No, but interesting fact: the CVT fluid burns at a lower temperature than the FryDaddy heats up to. ☹

That's before, during, and after.

It did, however, dry out the fluid.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
High smoke point:

Reactions: Twiddler

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Speaking of "smoke points", took the Submaru out onto the highway to really give it a go. When I got about 5 miles of 75mph up the road I started noticing that I was leaving a sizable trail of smoke. Having not flipped on the 'smoke screen' switch, I pulled off at the next exit and carefully drove it home without further smoke or issue.

I put it up on the lift and found that gear oil was all over the transmission and exhaust. The oil was all of the way up the front of the transmission and on both sides. I figured out that I had over filled the front differential. This evening, after work, I pulled the "check" bolt on the diff and a considerable amount of gear oil poured out. So yes, I had overfilled it and when I got it out on the highway it expanded and started getting flung out of the vent tube.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Didn't know you had installed some Bond-like upgrades... 😸

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
I think that I'm going to make a video on how to correctly replace the front differential oil. There are videos but there's problems with each one.

One of the best is an Australian video, but when he refers to driver's side and passenger side, they're the reverse of ours, as an example.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Bloody Aussies. They get everything back to front ;) 🐨
I'm an expat and still wonder why they drive on the wrong side of the road here...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
FYI, bought 6 more quarts of CVT fluid today. Left the Submaru on the lift this evening with the drain pulled to get the most fluid out that I can.

Tomorrow I will fill it up again and see how it does.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm an expat and still wonder why they drive on the wrong side of the road here...
When I drove in North America, I thought every thing would be exactly opposite. What surprised me was the clutch, brake accelerator configuration was still the same. Everything else was just weird. 🐨

341 - 360 of 402 Posts