Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
No, I'm not dead.

Just very, very frustrated with this.

Well, It's been 10 months since I've posted on here and I've made absolutely zero progress on this car. Months ago I worked with my mechanic friend and pulled the engine, then the passenger side head, pulled out the #3 piston, honed the cylinder wall, lapped the valves, checked literally everything about cylinder 3 that I could think of, put it all back together and still had the exact same miss.

A few weeks ago he came back out and we checked a few things which revealed something interesting. When he pulled all spark packs and only plugged one in at a time, then cranked it over, we found that it would almost run on any of the cylinders, but #3 would fire about every other time that it should. What does this mean? I don't know.

I took the car out on a couple of drives and I can get it up to highway speeds, which surprised me. The whole time it dinged and flashed and ran kind of crappy, but kinda surprisingly well at certain RPMs.

So, with this nation-wide lockdown happening and having a lot of time to get to work on this, I'm ready to give it another shot. Are you with me? Anyone?

I do appreciate all of the input that everyone gave me on here and hope that you'll work with me again.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Welcome back, and may the Force be with you!

artosa

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can you write a quick synopsis of everything you've tried? Its been a while and theres 15 pages of discussion.

You swapped the coil packs and spark plugs i'd imagine to see if the misfire moved. Did you also try this with the fuel injector?

I would double check the wiring harness, measure the resistance from the coil to the ecu and measure from the injector to the ecu (should be very very low, <.5 ohm). Then measure the resistance to ground (should be very very high >~1M ohm).

Measure fuel injector resistance, should be 5-20 ohms. Then resistance from injector to ecu and injector to ground.

Check alignment of timing chain with timing marks.

EDIT: Did you try another ECU? I can't quite remember.

EDIT 2: Do you have a borescope inspection camera? It might be worth looking in the intake and exhaust manifold passages for that cylinder. There is also the "tumble generator" which I don't know much about but I think may act as a variable restriction in the intake manifold that is controlled by the computer.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
Great to see you here again! We're locked down in Santa Monica so not much happening, trying not to get on each other's nerves, LOL!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Can you write a quick synopsis of everything you've tried? Its been a while and theres 15 pages of discussion.
The brief situation is: 2014 Crosstrek went under water to the roof. Engine took water and all electronics submerged.Everything got wet and muddy.
Gutted car, cleaned, bought parts car (but stupidly bought an 2014 Impreza thinking "How different could it be, right?") Moved all modules ECU, Immobilizer, etc, etc...
It runs! but poorly. Missing on 3, well, not a hard miss, but weak enough to throw a miss on the ECU. No real progress since then except for my last post at the top of this page.
Tried changing spark packs, injectors, plugs etc.

You swapped the coil packs and spark plugs i'd imagine to see if the misfire moved. Did you also try this with the fuel injector?
Yes. and my mechanic friend tried both as well.

I would double check the wiring harness, measure the resistance from the coil to the ecu and measure from the injector to the ecu (should be very very low, <.5 ohm). Then measure the resistance to ground (should be very very high >~1M ohm).

Measure fuel injector resistance, should be 5-20 ohms. Then resistance from injector to ecu and injector to ground.

Check alignment of timing chain with timing marks.

EDIT: Did you try another ECU? I can't quite remember.
OK, will try
Timing chain has been removed when I pulled the engine and head. So all marks have been re-checked when the head was reinstalled.
No, didn't try another ECU, but that is on my list. I found a local salvage yard that will sell me all of the associated modules for $200.
But, remember that the engine in the Impreza ran perfectly on that same ECU before I pulled the modules.

EDIT 2: Do you have a borescope inspection camera? It might be worth looking in the intake and exhaust manifold passages for that cylinder. There is also the "tumble generator" which I don't know much about but I think may act as a variable restriction in the intake manifold that is controlled by the computer.
I have pictures on here from my cylinder scoping.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Great to see you here again! We're locked down in Santa Monica so not much happening, trying not to get on each other's nerves, LOL!
Thanks! Good to be back.

I'm currently rebuilding a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe that had massive suspension damage to the front and a bent frame. It's what's keeping me sane.
I taught myself how to paint and painted my front bumper cover Saturday. It turned out pretty awesome!

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
Thanks! Good to be back.

I'm currently rebuilding a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe that had massive suspension damage to the front and a bent frame. It's what's keeping me sane.
I taught myself how to paint and painted my front bumper cover Saturday. It turned out pretty awesome!
Glad you have something to keep you busy! We're into the second week of sheltering in place, in our apartment, with five cats. Fortunately, Amazon is still delivering litter...

281 - 289 of 289 Posts