Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
My guess you have faulty crank position sensor problem. You can try replace with your spare ones, and see if the random misfire error disappear. If you replace it
and there is no change at all, i think the data logger is needed to pinpoint the fault.
The crank position sensor on a Subaru FB engine is, unlike any other car that I've ever seen, in-between the engine and transmission.

What makes you "guess" that it's the crank position sensor?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Do the gauge needle's just pop straight off? I couldn't seem to get them when I tried. Was thinking about trying to swap an XV cluster into my Impreza, not a fan of the white background. The question would be whether the EEPROM has anything special between the xv vs impreza. I know that the LEDs are laid out differently, but I think pinout/harness and functionality wise, its all the same.
Yes, with some careful pulling, they will come off. Make sure that you pull evenly so that you don't bend the metal pin.

The plug is the same in almost all Subarus made in the last 20 years and I believe that they're all pretty much interchangable too. There's a video on YouTube where a guy upgraded his cluster several years and used one of the much more complex ones and it worked.

The clusters that I swapped the EEPROM on were identical. I was taking no chances!

·
Registered
407 Posts
My guess you have faulty crank position sensor problem. You can try replace with your spare ones, and see if the random misfire error disappear. If you replace it
and there is no change at all, i think the data logger is needed to pinpoint the fault.
The crank position sensor on a Subaru FB engine is, unlike any other car that I've ever seen, in-between the engine and transmission.

What makes you "guess" that it's the crank position sensor?
Since you have combustion but ecu reported misfire randomly, that is typical telltale the feedback to ecu is not working properly, which mostly dependent on this sensor. You have tested cyl 3, change plug and swap coilpack, the feedback to ecu seems doing well. The sensor may defective after submerged.Injectors can be a cause as well but typically will show the difference on plug soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, with some careful pulling, they will come off. Make sure that you pull evenly so that you don't bend the metal pin.

The plug is the same in almost all Subarus made in the last 20 years and I believe that they're all pretty much interchangable too. There's a video on YouTube where a guy upgraded his cluster several years and used one of the much more complex ones and it worked.

The clusters that I swapped the EEPROM on were identical. I was taking no chances!
Thanks for info, and letting me interrupt the discussion.. I think I found that YouTube video. I looked up the parts for a newer impreza, newer xv, BRZ, WRX, Forester, Legacy... unfortunately the shape and the location of the screw holes looks different, so I think I'm sort of limited to the same body style impreza or xv..l . If the newer displays fit, I'd go sport impreza if I had my choice, the red backlighting is nice looking at more functional.

That video was very helpful, though, as was one of the comments.. Someone mentioned its an easy swap without having to deal with the immobilizer if you have an immobilizer bypass installed-- which I do, since I put in a 3rd party pushbutton start.. So Ill have to try swapping the XV cluster I have and see what happens.

Crazy project you have going, puts my manual to auto hvac swap to shame I'd say..

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should hook up your scopemeter to the low voltage side and see if the firing order looks correct.. You have two inputs on that thing right?? You could measure one cylinder relative to the other and move down the line. Then you could compare the time between pulses of each cylinder. IMO if you see the firing order looks correct, it isn't a software issue, we can see what everybody thinks. Then maybe check to see that the part # for camshaft sensor is the same between Impreza and XV..

The service manual does say to Check installation condition of camshaft position sensor/crankshaft position sensor as part of the troubleshooting process for a random misfire detected.. It might also explain why it isn't throwing a specific code to cylinder 3, since it isn't sure where the position of the engine is when the misfire occurs. It also says: check installation of timing chain... along those lines, there is the oil control solenoids.. Have you checked those.

I have a dealer scan tool equivalent (VXdiag), let me know if I can be of help, I thought you had a question about it, but can't remember and the thread is too dang long. I live in MN.. I can mail it to you if you send me a deposit for it-- $600 which I'd refund once I get it back and it still works. Lot of money to pay to a stranger though lol.

EDIT: There looks to be some detailed timing info in my 2014 service manual.. Is your's in PDF form? Way easier to search if it is.. I can send you mine if you're interested. Capture.jpg

EDIT 2: Yeah, a ton of timing info.. You should borrow a regular oscilloscope from work with more inputs.. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Since you have combustion but ecu reported misfire randomly, that is typical telltale the feedback to ecu is not working properly, which mostly dependent on this sensor. You have tested cyl 3, change plug and swap coilpack, the feedback to ecu seems doing well. The sensor may defective after submerged.Injectors can be a cause as well but typically will show the difference on plug soon.
The problem with your theory is that only cylinder 3 is not adding power (possibly firing, but not contributing). If the crank sensor was defective, I would think that I would have either truly random miss fires or a much larger problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
You should hook up your scopemeter to the low voltage side and see if the firing order looks correct.. You have two inputs on that thing right??
Yes.

there is the oil control solenoids.. Have you checked those.
Nope

I have a dealer scan tool equivalent (VXdiag)
That sounds like an excellent suggestion!

But... I found a VXdiag for$289 plus $72 shipping (WTF!), So I'll probably just pick one up. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Yes.

Nope

But... I found a VXdiag for$289 plus $72 shipping (WTF!), So I'll probably just pick one up. Thanks.
I thought I would chime in here, been following for what you know seems like an eternity

Sorry I don't have nearly the technical knowledge you have, all I can say is "Don't give up" I feel you are Very close to a solution, just need the right diagnostic tools to pin point your problem :eusa_clap:

Look forward when you have the Eureka Moment and it fires up and flies right:eek:ccasion14:

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes.

Nope

Yeah, I think you're paying for shipping direct from China, I ordered mine locally so that I could return it if need-be, but as a result it was $400, then I bought a laptop for it for ~200 (mistake, I should've just setup a VM, but at the time, I was being impatient).

EDIT: Have you considered doing a leak-down test vs. just compression?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Sorry I don't have nearly the technical knowledge you have, all I can say is "Don't give up" I feel you are Very close to a solution, just need the right diagnostic tools to pin point your problem

Look forward when you have the Eureka Moment and it fires up and flies right

Cheers
I really appreciate the encouragement.

I wish that it could spend more time working on it, but with my job and it being spring, I'm quite busy doing a ton of other things including fencing in my yard to keep my giant dog contained and away from my chickens.

I know that there's a few people making suggestions, and I'm very thankful that they are. I can't try everything so I have to just pick whatever is easiest and seems most likely to resolve the problem.

I'm no mechanic and I'm learning as I go. That's why I took on this project. I'm hoping, however, that I get resolution to the misfire soon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
The VXdiag device says that it " Reprogram. This item performs reprogramming of the control module."

Can I move the program in my ECU from one car to another?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nevermind on the leak-down, I remembered it potentially telling you there was a problem even with a good compression test, but I was mistaken I think. You had said you had good compression. The way I understand it a leak-down is good for finding out the why of bad compression.

No, by reprogram it means just changing settings, i.e. tell the car its a manual vs. auto, tell the car it has manual hvac vs auto, set some correction factors for the display's etc..

There is a program that seems to do flashes though; however, it looked to me like it needed to be given an image from the start, versus it being able to download a program and then upload to a different car.

It also has a "pass-through" application, which is very low level and might allow you to do something like that if you knew what you were doing. But long story short, there is nothing on it that is like "click download" connect to new car "click upload" type of thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I wish that it could spend more time working on it, but with my job and it being spring, I'm quite busy doing a ton of other things including fencing in my yard to keep my giant dog contained and away from my chickens.
I'm sure your dog would think it's a game getting to the chickens and the chickens are just thankful that someone is keeping that dog away! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
There is a program that seems to do flashes though; however, it looked to me like it needed to be given an image from the start, versus it being able to download a program and then upload to a different car.
Where would you get the program from?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #279 (Edited)
A dealer, sneak in with a box of donuts, or maybe here: RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Getting Started
To be honest, I'm getting extremely frustrated with this and I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer. My only hesitation is that they may start in with "you have to replace the ECU with the right part number" etc.

I haven't posted on here for a while because I've been doing a lot of other projects.

Before I take it to the dealer,I may just stick the engine from the other car in here to prove if, or if not, it's an engine problem.

To do that, I'll have to figure out how to get it off of my trailer with the front strut broken in half right above the knuckle clamp.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've been on and off the forum for the past several months hence I'm a bit behind on what's happening. I thought of your situation. Have you made any progress? Since your last post is months old, I fear for the worst!

261 - 280 of 289 Posts