Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Maybe I should host a live stream on YouTube, called "help me fix this &+_'!:-'+ car!" Where I let people watch and hear it run and can suggest, through chat, things to try.

Although I may get some odd suggestions for what to do.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
897 Posts
Maybe I should host a live stream on YouTube, called "help me fix this &+_'!:-'+ car!" Where I let people watch and hear it run and can suggest, through chat, things to try.

Man you might some really strange requests...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Have your wife participate kinda like Pat Sajak and Vanna White. While you moderate the discussion with us as contestants, she could post any relevant information on a whiteboard. This might work!!!

:eusa_clap::eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
897 Posts
So how about vacuum?

A vacuum leak into the intake port of the cylinder in question can cause a lack of fuel. Vacuum leaks on individual cylinders commonly occur around intake port gaskets or vacuum hose connections. Insufficient valve lash, a broken piston ring or a leaking cylinder head gasket can cause a partial loss of compression.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think if you confirm you got good spark and fuel, the only possibility you have a miss is low compression, did you check the cylinder 3 compression pressure compared with the rest ? The only way ECU detect a miss is from crankcase position sensor that is installed as a single unit that monitor all cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Here's an idea - it might get you in the dog house however...

Swap your wife's ECU into the project car and see what happens with the current issue. If it's the ECU, it should be immediately obvious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
So how about vacuum?
So, let's take that possibility apart...

1) Shares all intake, therefore vacuum with cylinder 1, which works fine.
2) Took intake, exhaust, head, the few hoses, everything apart, inspected for just this kinda thing, and reassembled. No change.
3) Valve lash - disassembled head and lapped valves, checked with light and liquid to assure a good seal.
4) Piston Ring - Nope. checked and cleaned.
5) Head gasket - Nope, changed gasket and saw no damage to the old one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
I think if you confirm you got good spark and fuel, the only possibility you have a miss is low compression, did you check the cylinder 3 compression pressure compared with the rest ? The only way ECU detect a miss is from crankcase position sensor that is installed as a single unit that monitor all cylinders.
When you say the "the only thing left..." you are assuming that the ECU is doing everything it's supposed to do at the right time. This is using an ECU from an Impreza, that no one can tell me is EXACTLY the same.

I do need to re-run a compression test on it after the refurb of cylinder 3. I'll post the results when I do it.

I appreciate the question.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Grasping at straws here, spark plug wire or even more out there, ground?

artosa

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Here's an idea - it might get you in the dog house however...

Swap your wife's ECU into the project car and see what happens with the current issue. If it's the ECU, it should be immediately obvious.
Great idea except I would have to use my daily driver, which is the identical car, only Khaki. Besides, my wife loves her car far more than me. She would never allow it.

<-------------This is my daily driver. Also a 2014 Crosstrek Limited.

BUT... it won't start without being reprogrammed to match all of the other modules. Unless, of course you're recommending that I change all of the other modules including the ignition switch. Which is, BTW, why I am trying to get my hands on a Tactrix module, but no one will give me a straight answer on if it copies all of the contents of the ECU or just the settings. Even the manufacturer won't respond to my voicemails left.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When you say the "the only thing left..." you are assuming that the ECU is doing everything it's supposed to do at the right time. This is using an ECU from an Impreza, that no one can tell me is EXACTLY the same.

I do need to re-run a compression test on it after the refurb of cylinder 3. I'll post the results when I do it.

I appreciate the question.
Technically, the left items to be checked if the compression is good is only the variable valve timing and ignition timing. Of course you are going to the right direction to get data logger. The difference between Impreza and Crosstrek I would say minimal and not only impact one cylinder only, so the difference is possible due to fuel economy and torque tuning for different application but less likely the cause of the issue in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
BUT... it won't start without being reprogrammed to match all of the other modules. Unless, of course you're recommending that I change all of the other modules including the ignition switch. Which is, BTW, why I am trying to get my hands on a Tactrix module, but no one will give me a straight answer on if it copies all of the contents of the ECU or just the settings. Even the manufacturer won't respond to my voicemails left.
That's probably no-one really knows. It possible that some of the code is copied but it's impossible to say if all of it is copied. I know that Subaru does occasionally flash the ECU with updates so if both systems work on the same principles, the stuff that it does copy might be enough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Technically, the left items to be checked if the compression is good is only the variable valve timing and ignition timing.
If the valve timing is the issue, and it's off enough to stop cylinder 3 from firing, wouldn't it also cause cylinder 1 to not fire? They are sharing the same head and valve timing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just to recap, did you still have random misfire error code? Earlier during trouble shooting, you swap injector and also found wrong wiring? You detected cylinder 3 miss by what method? Did you see soot on plug?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Just to recap, did you still have random misfire error code? Earlier during trouble shooting, you swap injector and also found wrong wiring? You detected cylinder 3 miss by what method? Did you see soot on plug?
Yes, I get random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. The reason that I know that it's cylinder 3 is that I can pull the low voltage to cylinder 3's spark pack and nothing changes except I get a cylinder 3 specific error as well.

The incorrect wiring was a mistake in the manual.

Yes, the plug is sooty, so it is firing and getting fuel, just not producing power to the crank. Possibly firing in the wrong stroke or off enough to not be contributing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, I get random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. The reason that I know that it's cylinder 3 is that I can pull the low voltage to cylinder 3's spark pack and nothing changes except I get a cylinder 3 specific error as well.

The incorrect wiring was a mistake in the manual.

Yes, the plug is sooty, so it is firing and getting fuel, just not producing power to the crank. Possibly firing in the wrong stroke or off enough to not be contributing.
Ah, that explains, i think in that case forget about cylinder 3 problem. My guess you have faulty crank position sensor problem. You can try replace with your spare ones, and see if the random misfire error disappear. If you replace it
and there is no change at all, i think the data logger is needed to pinpoint the fault.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Success! I have moved the EEPROM from my old instrument cluster to the eBay one.

The first picture has the EEPROM chip in the middle. It's a S93C 8-pin surface mount chip.

Second picture is it on the palm of my hand for size reference.

3rd picture is the display lit up with my actual mileage! (Unknown until this point!)
Do the gauge needle's just pop straight off? I couldn't seem to get them when I tried. Was thinking about trying to swap an XV cluster into my Impreza, not a fan of the white background. The question would be whether the EEPROM has anything special between the xv vs impreza. I know that the LEDs are laid out differently, but I think pinout/harness and functionality wise, its all the same.

241 - 260 of 289 Posts