Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is what's in the box- this is the Warn semi-hidden winch mount with optional hoop. The hoop with instructions is in small box with hardware to mount the hoop and install instructions, then the mount itself with winch mount hardware and instructions is in the big box. You will re-use the OE mounting bolts for the bumperette under the factory fascia trim:

The mount is very well built and well thought out. Provisions to mount the winch and remote control port on either side, license plate holes to mount license plate below winch, factory temp sensor hole to relocate temp sensor, full recovery points, etc. It's a solid setup.

I've had the Axon 55-S winch here for couple months now. Sure glad Warn came out with this mount as I have not had time to fab my own. This is perfect and looks fantastic in my opinion. Warn nailed it with this mount. Here's the winch:

And here's the winch all mounted up ready for main install:

Moving on to install...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
So you will begin by removing the factory fascia. This install is on a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with eyesight. Removal on the '19 is slightly different than on the earlier '18 but only slightly. A few more plastic clips, slight difference in lower plastic guards and a couple more bolts up top. You will need to I think it was 5 slips on each side to remove the outside most plastic trim in addition to a plastic clip and a plastic pop-rivet in the wheel wheel at the flare for the facia to be removed. There are 5 plastic clips along lower front edge of main plastic shield then 2 bolts holding it on. Once all the lowers are removed, there are 5 bolts and 2 plastic clips up top. Starting from each wheel well, gently pull out at the flare location for the lower bumper section. It will "pop" loose. Gently work your way around and under the headlights. Once it's all popped loose it will lift up and off. Don't forget to unhook the fog lights.

Both the lower plastic air dam and the main bumperette will be removed. You will re-use the OE bolts holding the main bumperette on. Set the 8 bolts aside to use when ready for install.

Lower air dam removed:

And main bumperette removed:

Now- this is the hardest, most tedious part of the entire install. Trimming the plastic front facia to make it look clean. Instructions say tape and trim. Only pics I could find were of what was seen prior to SEMA on Warn site. I did things ever so slightly different than what I could see in the pics but overall I think it turned out pretty nice. I used a sawzall to cut the main chunk of the lower black section out first but left about in inch all the way around to final trim for fitment. Pic below is during trimming process. I had this thing on and off many times during this stage and didn't take pics of this process as it was tedious and involved. Once main section was cut out and I could get it "close" to where it needed to be to the point that the fascia would hang off the upper radiator mount location, I then moved to a dremel tool with cut off disc for final trim. This took many tests but I ended up going all the way up to the line where the black turns to cool grey khaki across the center. I will be installing the hoop next and access to the rear most bolt holes means trimming up most of the outside sections where it "sweeps up" from black to body color again on the outsides of the center section. Rather than follow that line down at the color change, I kept it tight to the mount and slowly trimmed away with dremel until fitment appeared good and snug to mount.

And here it is on the car. After cutting to shape with the dremel and cut off disc I then put a sanding barrel on the dremel and cleaned up all the cuts. After that was done I installed some body trim to make it look clean and tighten up the gaps a tiny bit. Here's how it looks with just the mount on the car:

I think it turned out pretty clean. Fitment is tight to the car, Warn did a great job on this mount. Install was pretty easy just time consuming with the trim to make it look right. Overall I'm stoked to finally have the winch on the car! Winter is coming and this will be a great addition once snow falls. Later today I will be tackling install of the optional upper hoop and also installing some Baja Designs lights to match rest of lights on the car. Not sure I'll have time to get wire harnesses built or if I even have enough supplies left so we'll see how far I get today. Will update again once that's done. Hope this helps answer a few questions at least on the Warn semi-hidden winch mount for 2018-2019 Subaru Crosstrek.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,296 Posts
That looks really great, Mike, good job! Do you happen to have a side view of the front, before and after? I would like to see how it has improved the approach angle and raised the front clearance.

I really like how it has preserved the handsome look of the stock Crosstrek. This is the best bumper add that I have seen so far. And a very clever way to mount the winch.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks for breaking this all down. I really like this bumper, one of very few that makes any sense without costing an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That looks really great, Mike, good job! Do you happen to have a side view of the front, before and after? I would like to see how it has improved the approach angle and raised the front clearance.

I really like how it has preserved the handsome look of the stock Crosstrek. This is the best bumper add that I have seen so far. And a very clever way to mount the winch.
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the mount and how it turned out. Warn did a great job designing this. I'll try to get pics of side profile once the bar is on. It sticks out about 2 3/8" in front of main fascia for the main bumper portion then the D-ring mounts are about 4 1/2" out for each of those. Gotta get to work, have a lot to try and get done today if I can. I'll try and report back later if I can get it finished later this evening.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the mount and how it turned out. Warn did a great job designing this. I'll try to get pics of side profile once the bar is on. It sticks out about 2 3/8" in front of main fascia for the main bumper portion then the D-ring mounts are about 4 1/2" out for each of those. Gotta get to work, have a lot to try and get done today if I can. I'll try and report back later if I can get it finished later this evening.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Thanks Mike for posting the pics. Looking forward to seeing it in the light with the light bar attached!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well with church and other house work that needed done, I didn't get as much time in the garage as I'd hoped. I'm also out of the electrical supplies I need to get them all wired up which really sucks as I'm really itching to see these things in action. I did however manage to get the bar installed. Wife decided she liked the look best with them mounted under the bar rather than over the top as seen in the Warn pics. These are Baja Designs LP6's in amber. They are a 3 function light with an amber back light, a low beam and a high beam with a wide spread pattern. We have a bunch of wildlife where we're at and collisions with deer are happening all the time. I think these LP6's will help keep the wife and baby girl safe when traveling home after dark. Anyway here's a garage shot-the Baja Designs LP 6's are mounted to the optional Warn tube bar on the semi-hidden winch mount with an Axon 55S attached as well.

Here's a side shot as requested earlier for reference to how far forward they stick out:

And I couldn't resist getting out of the house for a few minutes:

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mike awesome write up! Thank you! I just made a video on how to take the bumper fascia off the same Trek if it helps others. I did it for the first time and ran into a bunch of snags with the pins in the wheel well. Messaged Rick on youtube and he helped me out. So I made a video in case others had the same issues. Don't mean to hijack your thread, so delete if inappropriate. Please post once you get to use the winch, I'd love to hear your review!

-Alex

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mike awesome write up! Thank you! I just made a video on how to take the bumper fascia off the same Trek if it helps others. I did it for the first time and ran into a bunch of snags with the pins in the wheel well. Messaged Rick on youtube and he helped me out. So I made a video in case others had the same issues. Don't mean to hijack your thread, so delete if inappropriate. Please post once you get to use the winch, I'd love to hear your review!

-Alex
Alex- Awesome Vid- Thank you! Wish I'd have seen that prior to learning the hard way- I broke one of the small pin clips as I had no idea how to get that out. This vid will definitely be helpful for many folks, thanks for sharing and great job on the vid!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alex- Awesome Vid- Thank you! Wish I'd have seen that prior to learning the hard way- I broke one of the small pin clips as I had no idea how to get that out. This vid will definitely be helpful for many folks, thanks for sharing and great job on the vid!

Best of Luck,

Mike
I was able to pick them up at a dealer, I bought 2 center pin clips and 3 screw clips and it cost me $12. There are different sets of pins/clips on Amazon for Subaru, but in the pictures, I didn't see the center pin clip, so I decided to go the dealer route. I am sure for folks who will be messing with the bumper this will be useful to know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Prior to tearing the car apart, I had found a set of Subaru specific plastic fasteners- it was a set of 3 different sizes/styles which happen to be all the lower ones under neath where for all the plastic splash guards. I got a pack on amazon that came with a removal tool for around $13 or so. After breaking the pin in question here from the fender, I again searched on amazon and found another kit that has 5 or 6 different sizes- all of that center pin style just different diameters. The kit was around $15 I think for this one. I'm hoping one of the sizes in the kit will fit- if not I'm heading to dealer. It will be here Friday so we'll know pretty quick... Yes, your vid will be huge help for a lot of folks tackling a project like this. Great job explaining and showing that. Probably save a lot of guys trip to dealer or waiting few days for something to arrive on amazon...

Best of luck,

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like how they have added recovery points.
I was advised against getting a bull bar by an insurance assessor who said the extra weight would strain the whole front end, suspension, steering etc.
Although one bullbar I looked at was aluminium and weighed around 27KG.
Would 27KG cause all those front end strains?
Better than hitting a kangaroo.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts