Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,450 Posts
Another advantage of an EV. Mine starts putting out heat (and lots of it) the minute I start up and go.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,194 Posts
I thought declawing was a relic that has all but disappeared. But what do I know, I live in New England.

Want to know what declawing feels like? Hack off all your fingers to the first joint.

And having had my fingers hacked off to the first joint, can attest that the pain never really entirely ends for that.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
And having had my fingers hacked off to the first joint, can attest that the pain never really entirely ends for that.
Sorry. My dad had an accident with a bacon slicer in his grocery store. He had removed the guards to clean it. He was probably tired after another 12 hour day. He told me he knew what had happened before he felt it because the blade makes a different sound when it hits bone...

·
Registered
59 Posts
This little girl came to us when she was 7 years old. She’s 22 now and doing well. The previous owner had her front feet declawed. She was riddled with fleas and allowed to wander the neighborhood. I convinced the owner to give her up when they were moving. She’s had a happy and healthy life and hopefully many years to come.
Cat Eye Felidae Plant Carnivore

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,574 Posts
This little girl came to us when she was 7 years old. She’s 22 now and doing well. The previous owner had her front feet declawed. She was riddled with fleas and allowed to wander the neighborhood. I convinced the owner to give her up when they were moving. She’s had a happy and healthy life and hopefully many years to come. View attachment 309403
OMG, she's beautiful! Looks great for 22! So glad you were able to give her a good home!

Reactions: Lee2021

·
Registered
451 Posts
The fact is that house cats are a non-native introduced species to this continent.
So was the horse, common honey bee, asian carp, northern snakehead, feral hog, european starling, nutria, zebra mussel, tumbleweed, tamrisk/salt cedar, kudzu. All brought here for various good reasons and all have got out of control and have become very damaging species, and yes including the fuzzy wuzzy honey bee, which has been pushing out the indigenous bee populations, which are not honey producing. The tamarisk/salt cedar sucks 30% of the water out of the rivers wherever it grows, particularly throughout the southwest, and is damn difficult to eradicate. We'll not get into though the most invasive and damaging species of all.

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,574 Posts
So was the horse, common honey bee, asian carp, northern snakehead, feral hog, european starling, nutria, zebra mussel, tumbleweed, tamrisk/salt cedar, kudzu. All brought here for various good reasons and all have got out of control and have become very damaging species, and yes including the fuzzy wuzzy honey bee, which has been pushing out the indigenous bee populations, which are not honey producing. The tamarisk/salt cedar sucks 30% of the water out of the rivers wherever it grows, particularly throughout the southwest, and is damn difficult to eradicate. We'll not get into though the most invasive and damaging species of all.
All these were introduced by the most damaging invasive species of all. We can all try and do our small part. I have yanked most of the non-native plants in my yard and replaced them with native plants and trees.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I never warm up my car. Most of the wear in your engine comes when you first start it and when it's cold. So you want it to warm up quickly. The best thing to do is to start your car and let it "clean up" or "settle" to a nice high idle, this should only take a max of 10-15 seconds, then drive off, but take it easy, drive slowly and easy. You car will warm up faster this way than just idling to warm it up.
I will always drive slowly after I first start it because the engine isn't the only thing that needs to warm up, wheel bearings and things like that need to warm up a little as well.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I never warm up my car. Most of the wear in your engine comes when you first start it and when it's cold. So you want it to warm up quickly. The best thing to do is to start your car and let it "clean up" or "settle" to a nice high idle, this should only take a max of 10-15 seconds, then drive off, but take it easy, drive slowly and easy. You car will warm up faster this way than just idling to warm it up.
I will always drive slowly after I first start it because the engine isn't the only thing that needs to warm up, wheel bearings and things like that need to warm up a little as well.
Yeah, this. Our Limited has a blue warning light that the engine is cold and I'm easy with it until the light goes off. Fortunately, it doesn't get very cold here and the light goes off before I get to the nearest freeway on ramp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always read the owners manual. I still remember the one in our 1981 BMW 320i. It specifically addressed warming up, saying not to do it. Instead, start the car and start driving sedately. So if you live right next to a freeway entrance, you'd be better off skipping the freeway for one exit and driving slower on side streets to the next exit. I'm lucky that we live just far enough from major routes that the oil is warmed up just before the entrance. I know this because my 90 M3 had an oil temp gauge stock.

Another fun manual I remember was my 91 Honda CRX-Si that specifically said that buying any gas with a higher octane than 87 was a waste of money and provided no benefit.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,450 Posts
Not only is it useless, and possibly harmful (excess emissions), you may also be annoying your neighbours, esp if it is early in the morning and you wake them up prematurely.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Another fun manual I remember was my 91 Honda CRX-Si that specifically said that buying any gas with a higher octane than 87 was a waste of money and provided no benefit.
Yeah, this comes up a lot. You'll get no benefit from a higher octan fuel if the car is designed and tuned for 87. There was a place around here that sold 100LL, same as avgas. Not sure if they still do as I haven't been by there in a while.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.