·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Reactions: Lee2021

·
Registered
4 Posts
Several years ago , I " had a moment'. I owned a minvan. I was lazy about fixing the heat for 3 years when it stopped working. One day on the way to work, the little voice inside my head said" you leave (In the wintertime) your warm house and you get in a cold van and you work outside in the cold, then repeat this cycle everyday. Youtube bailed me out as I learned what the problem was( and changed it myself it was the thermostat). Brought my 2017 Forester in 2018. First thing I learned to operate was the heated seats. I wait for the little blue therostate light to go out and" away we go". Takes about 4 minutes to feel" lots lots of great heat, dont have auto start . Help me someone isnt the oil thats sitting in the oil pan have to heat up to circulate to coat the moving parts, I thought that was the purpose of the oil. Dont mean to sound rude of disrespect , just" making the plain plain and keeping the simple simple. If you were to see the vehicles I see everymore( I do security by the way) and people neglect basic maintaince then" complain about dealerships and auto shops charging too much money to repair them. I digress

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Several years ago , I " had a moment'. I owned a minvan. I was lazy about fixing the heat for 3 years when it stopped working. One day on the way to work, the little voice inside my head said" you leave (In the wintertime) your warm house and you get in a cold van and you work outside in the cold, then repeat this cycle everyday. Youtube bailed me out as I learned what the problem was( and changed it myself it was the thermostat). Brought my 2017 Forester in 2018. First thing I learned to operate was the heated seats. I wait for the little blue therostate light to go out and" away we go". Takes about 4 minutes to feel" lots lots of great heat, dont have auto start . Help me someone isnt the oil thats sitting in the oil pan have to heat up to circulate to coat the moving parts, I thought that was the purpose of the oil. Dont mean to sound rude of disrespect , just" making the plain plain and keeping the simple simple. If you were to see the vehicles I see everymore( I do security by the way) and people neglect basic maintaince then" complain about dealerships and auto shops charging too much money to repair them. I digress
There's a lot more going on but welcome!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
If you are asking what generates the heat, it is the antifreeze circulating into the heater core, not the oil. The engine warms the antifreeze and sends it into the heater core.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I guess I am very lucky, I can plug my car in at home and at work, it thinks it's always summer :)
Winters in CT are not that brutal, but being my work commute is 6 miles door to door, gets the engine right up to temp quickly. (and me!)
My wife's Ascent with the CVT, she does let it run a few min, we are at the bottom of a hill and it will rev hang at 3500 if she starts and drives up the hill, figure a few min of idling is better than 3500 @ 5 degrees F.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's what I liked about the 2011 Golf TDI I had. It had an in dash electric heater of about 1500 watts. Start a stone cold engine turn the fan to the number 2 speed and the temperature selector to full heat and instant heat from the vents. Pretty nice one morning when I started that little diesel @ -40*F. That morning I did give it 2 minutes to warm up before driving off very slowly. Felt like I had square wheels. I'm an advocate of start and go in the winter.
My 2000 Golf TDI had an electric heater of some sort. I don't recall it sending heat out of the dash vents......could be wrong. That was a great car. Keep it for 20 years. Bought new car because wanted all the safety feature in the Subaru, and after 20 years...it was time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.
I wouldn't get the remote starter. Your drive is so short, why bother. You may consider a solar panel charger because your battery may use up more charge than it gains in such a short drive. I'd go the for attachment that plugs into your OBD computer plug found under dash to left of steering wheel (at least in the 2018 Crosstrek). I used one for that same reason.....short commute.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Better keep your cat locked in the house with a rash of cat theft in the area! 😉
Speaking of cats.....before starting car, bang on the hood or honk the horn. Cats often climb in engine bay for protection from cold...especially if still warm. As a vet tech years ago, I once had to euthanize a really messed up cat who got caught in one of the belts.......ick.

Reactions: cedarpangolin

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Speaking of cats.....before starting car, bang on the hood or honk the horn. Cats often climb in engine bay for protection from cold...especially if still warm. As a vet tech years ago, I once had to euthanize a really messed up cat who got caught in one of the belts.......ick.
Ugh, can't unread that... 😿

Not had much luck with solar panel charging here and we live in a very sunny place.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
200 Posts
This is true - my wife is a vet tech and as seen it too

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Keep them indoors.
Well, yeah, duh! I'm a huge advocate for that and also the rescue site where we both volunteer. Their contract includes that the cat will not be let out (or declawed, etc. etc.) I volunteered at an adoption event last weekend.

However, there's still a mentality that cats should be "put out" at night, or situations where cats are working to catch rodents in warehouses, factories or farms, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Well, yeah, duh! I'm a huge advocate for that and also the rescue site where we both volunteer. Their contract includes that the cat will not be let out (or declawed, etc. etc.) I volunteered at an adoption event last weekend.

However, there's still a mentality that cats should be "put out" at night, or situations where cats are working to catch rodents in warehouses, factories or farms, etc.
I'm really glad you feel this way. Outdoor cats are responsible for killing about 2 billion birds every year. That is the 3rd most common killer of birds next to pesticides and habitat loss. There are now 30% fewer birds in North America than there were in 1970. There are those who believe house cats hunting birds is "just nature". The fact is that house cats are a non-native introduced species to this continent. They are domesticated animals and belong indoors.

I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats. There is nothing more heartbreaking than a cat that disappears never to be seen again, not to mention seeing a cat squashed by a car.

And BTW, a mouser is much more useful indoors anyway.

Declawing is illegal in some states including MA.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm really glad you feel this way. Outdoor cats are responsible for killing about 2 billion birds every year. That is the 3rd most common killer of birds next to pesticides and habitat loss. There are now 30% fewer birds in North America than there were in 1970. There are those who believe house cats hunting birds is "just nature". The fact is that house cats are a non-native introduced species to this continent. They are domesticated animals and belong indoors.

I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats. There is nothing more heartbreaking than a cat that disappears never to be seen again, not to mention seeing a cat squashed by a car.

And BTW, a mouser is much more useful indoors anyway.

Declawing is illegal in some states including MA.
Yes, domestic cats are terrible for the bird population. Please keep them inside, people...

Declawing is illegal here in Los Angeles but it was sickening, when I went to look up the laws, how many ads there were for declawing "services" here. Criminals...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Yes, domestic cats are terrible for the bird population. Please keep them inside, people...

Declawing is illegal here in Los Angeles but it was sickening, when I went to look up the laws, how many ads there were for declawing "services" here. Criminals...
I thought declawing was a relic that has all but disappeared. But what do I know, I live in New England.

Want to know what declawing feels like? Hack off all your fingers to the first joint.

Reactions: BobNH

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,943 Posts
I wouldn't get the remote starter. Your drive is so short, why bother. You may consider a solar panel charger because your battery may use up more charge than it gains in such a short drive. I'd go the for attachment that plugs into your OBD computer plug found under dash to left of steering wheel (at least in the 2018 Crosstrek). I used one for that same reason.....short commute.

It's not really the battery charge I'm concerned with. Yeah, it's not getting a full charge. But I've put the analyzer on it since then, and it's getting and holding enough of a charge. It's that the engine get fully warmed up and lubricated. On the coldest days, I'd like to warm the cabin a bit as well. But it's not a priority. But there has been an increase in car thefts in this area lately, so on those days I do want to warm it up, I don't, because I'm unwilling to leave the key in it and let someone have a shot at taking it.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I thought declawing was a relic that has all but disappeared. But what do I know, I live in New England.

Want to know what declawing feels like? Hack off all your fingers to the first joint.
Yep! It's exactly that! I guess it's not that well known that they amputate every "finger" for the stupid owners who want a cat but don't get that cats need to scratch.

FWIW, we have lots of scratching areas and lots of cats and the furniture is fine.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,527 Posts
Raleigh must have been binge-watching Ted Lasso again last night ... :sneaky:

But yeah, I'm not sure where that site lands on the spectrum of clickbait vs. journalism ... by Internet standards, their stuff is pretty well-written, but it's definitely not groundbreaking info.
My head stuck up my bonnet?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, JDM Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
475 Posts
A couple of points related to comments made..
1) with respect to diesel engines heating the cabin quickly - whilst I was involved in exhaust system R&D the problem was arising with diesel engines becoming more efficient and not producing enough heat to warm the cabin in the cold weather - FMC were just starting to test with electrical heaters in the air outlet ducts 😁
2) with more modern cars - there is so much data available to be collected and processed by the ECU that it is pretty easy for manufacturers to limit the engine power available until the engine is in a safe enough mode to deliver that power - so in a Crosstrek there should be no need to artificially limit you right foot from the point of view of engine longevity! 🤣
In fact we would run engines 10 minutes 'full chat' 10 minutes stopped and then straight back up to full power high rpm again as a continuous test for exhaust durability... An example 😜
Building Gas Machine Event Engineering

spectacular in the dark!
Automotive lighting Purple Entertainment Guitar Gas

41 - 60 of 75 Posts