Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
I tend to be in the club of start it up, buckle up, put phone on the mount and charger, run the wipers, and take off within a minute of idling. Theres a lot of conflicting thoughts on idling for prolonged periods being poor for engine health, but overall the consensus from mechanics and users seems to be that idling for a moment or two to get oil into the top of engine/valve train is beneficial but beyond that it is better to drive off pretty promptly and the car will warm the cabin faster under driving load anyway.

definitely clickbait article title!

Registered
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.
Better keep your cat locked in the house with a rash of cat theft in the area! 馃槈

same here, I live a mile from work currently, and the blue light barely goes off sometimes as I park. It is what it is, at least I have confidence I鈥檓 not doing any damage by waiting one minute or less and driving off slow and careful 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Speaking of cats.....before starting car, bang on the hood or honk the horn. Cats often climb in engine bay for protection from cold...especially if still warm. As a vet tech years ago, I once had to euthanize a really messed up cat who got caught in one of the belts.......ick.
This is true - my wife is a vet tech and as seen it too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.