Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's what I liked about the 2011 Golf TDI I had. It had an in dash electric heater of about 1500 watts. Start a stone cold engine turn the fan to the number 2 speed and the temperature selector to full heat and instant heat from the vents. Pretty nice one morning when I started that little diesel @ -40*F. That morning I did give it 2 minutes to warm up before driving off very slowly. Felt like I had square wheels. I'm an advocate of start and go in the winter.
My 2000 Golf TDI had an electric heater of some sort. I don't recall it sending heat out of the dash vents......could be wrong. That was a great car. Keep it for 20 years. Bought new car because wanted all the safety feature in the Subaru, and after 20 years...it was time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.
I wouldn't get the remote starter. Your drive is so short, why bother. You may consider a solar panel charger because your battery may use up more charge than it gains in such a short drive. I'd go the for attachment that plugs into your OBD computer plug found under dash to left of steering wheel (at least in the 2018 Crosstrek). I used one for that same reason.....short commute.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Better keep your cat locked in the house with a rash of cat theft in the area! 😉
Speaking of cats.....before starting car, bang on the hood or honk the horn. Cats often climb in engine bay for protection from cold...especially if still warm. As a vet tech years ago, I once had to euthanize a really messed up cat who got caught in one of the belts.......ick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.