Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although they mention emissions, they're making the point (that the average driver may not realize) that you don't need to run an engine for very long for it to be properly lubricated, and the engine doesn't need to be warmed up to operating temperature before driving off (and will warm up quicker if you're driving).

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your Source: "Motor Bisquit" ? In England a bisquit is a scone? a cookie?
A biscuit is what you'd call a cookie. We don't really have the equivalent of US biscuits (as in biscuits and gravy). A scone is sweeter, more dense and often contains dried fruit. And we don't smother them with gravy, we smother them with Devon clotted cream and strawberry jam! Yum!

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Better keep your cat locked in the house with a rash of cat theft in the area! 😉

same here, I live a mile from work currently, and the blue light barely goes off sometimes as I park. It is what it is, at least I have confidence I’m not doing any damage by waiting one minute or less and driving off slow and careful 👍🏻
Only a mile? Wow, I think I'd walk or ride a bike unless the weather was miserable.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Several years ago , I " had a moment'. I owned a minvan. I was lazy about fixing the heat for 3 years when it stopped working. One day on the way to work, the little voice inside my head said" you leave (In the wintertime) your warm house and you get in a cold van and you work outside in the cold, then repeat this cycle everyday. Youtube bailed me out as I learned what the problem was( and changed it myself it was the thermostat). Brought my 2017 Forester in 2018. First thing I learned to operate was the heated seats. I wait for the little blue therostate light to go out and" away we go". Takes about 4 minutes to feel" lots lots of great heat, dont have auto start . Help me someone isnt the oil thats sitting in the oil pan have to heat up to circulate to coat the moving parts, I thought that was the purpose of the oil. Dont mean to sound rude of disrespect , just" making the plain plain and keeping the simple simple. If you were to see the vehicles I see everymore( I do security by the way) and people neglect basic maintaince then" complain about dealerships and auto shops charging too much money to repair them. I digress
There's a lot more going on but welcome!

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Speaking of cats.....before starting car, bang on the hood or honk the horn. Cats often climb in engine bay for protection from cold...especially if still warm. As a vet tech years ago, I once had to euthanize a really messed up cat who got caught in one of the belts.......ick.
Ugh, can't unread that... 😿

Not had much luck with solar panel charging here and we live in a very sunny place.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Keep them indoors.
Well, yeah, duh! I'm a huge advocate for that and also the rescue site where we both volunteer. Their contract includes that the cat will not be let out (or declawed, etc. etc.) I volunteered at an adoption event last weekend.

However, there's still a mentality that cats should be "put out" at night, or situations where cats are working to catch rodents in warehouses, factories or farms, etc.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm really glad you feel this way. Outdoor cats are responsible for killing about 2 billion birds every year. That is the 3rd most common killer of birds next to pesticides and habitat loss. There are now 30% fewer birds in North America than there were in 1970. There are those who believe house cats hunting birds is "just nature". The fact is that house cats are a non-native introduced species to this continent. They are domesticated animals and belong indoors.

I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats. There is nothing more heartbreaking than a cat that disappears never to be seen again, not to mention seeing a cat squashed by a car.

And BTW, a mouser is much more useful indoors anyway.

Declawing is illegal in some states including MA.
Yes, domestic cats are terrible for the bird population. Please keep them inside, people...

Declawing is illegal here in Los Angeles but it was sickening, when I went to look up the laws, how many ads there were for declawing "services" here. Criminals...

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I thought declawing was a relic that has all but disappeared. But what do I know, I live in New England.

Want to know what declawing feels like? Hack off all your fingers to the first joint.
Yep! It's exactly that! I guess it's not that well known that they amputate every "finger" for the stupid owners who want a cat but don't get that cats need to scratch.

FWIW, we have lots of scratching areas and lots of cats and the furniture is fine.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
And having had my fingers hacked off to the first joint, can attest that the pain never really entirely ends for that.
Sorry. My dad had an accident with a bacon slicer in his grocery store. He had removed the guards to clean it. He was probably tired after another 12 hour day. He told me he knew what had happened before he felt it because the blade makes a different sound when it hits bone...

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I never warm up my car. Most of the wear in your engine comes when you first start it and when it's cold. So you want it to warm up quickly. The best thing to do is to start your car and let it "clean up" or "settle" to a nice high idle, this should only take a max of 10-15 seconds, then drive off, but take it easy, drive slowly and easy. You car will warm up faster this way than just idling to warm it up.
I will always drive slowly after I first start it because the engine isn't the only thing that needs to warm up, wheel bearings and things like that need to warm up a little as well.
Yeah, this. Our Limited has a blue warning light that the engine is cold and I'm easy with it until the light goes off. Fortunately, it doesn't get very cold here and the light goes off before I get to the nearest freeway on ramp.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Another fun manual I remember was my 91 Honda CRX-Si that specifically said that buying any gas with a higher octane than 87 was a waste of money and provided no benefit.
Yeah, this comes up a lot. You'll get no benefit from a higher octan fuel if the car is designed and tuned for 87. There was a place around here that sold 100LL, same as avgas. Not sure if they still do as I haven't been by there in a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.