Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,007 Posts
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.

Reactions: cedarpangolin

·
He wasn't there!
2,007 Posts

·
He wasn't there!
2,007 Posts
Does anyone NOT turn on the heat when first starting the car in cold weather? I really don't know if this makes any difference but during the winter in northern Ohio I tend to wait until the blue temp light goes out (generally ~1 minute of idle in driveway + ~1 mile down the road). My thinking is to let the tiny engine properly get up to temp before I scavenge some of that heat into the cabin. Probably does not make any difference but that's my routine.

The cabin heater makes a trivial difference to the car's cooling system capacity.

Reactions: GB49

·
He wasn't there!
2,007 Posts
I wouldn't get the remote starter. Your drive is so short, why bother. You may consider a solar panel charger because your battery may use up more charge than it gains in such a short drive. I'd go the for attachment that plugs into your OBD computer plug found under dash to left of steering wheel (at least in the 2018 Crosstrek). I used one for that same reason.....short commute.

It's not really the battery charge I'm concerned with. Yeah, it's not getting a full charge. But I've put the analyzer on it since then, and it's getting and holding enough of a charge. It's that the engine get fully warmed up and lubricated. On the coldest days, I'd like to warm the cabin a bit as well. But it's not a priority. But there has been an increase in car thefts in this area lately, so on those days I do want to warm it up, I don't, because I'm unwilling to leave the key in it and let someone have a shot at taking it.

·
He wasn't there!
2,007 Posts
I thought declawing was a relic that has all but disappeared. But what do I know, I live in New England.

Want to know what declawing feels like? Hack off all your fingers to the first joint.

And having had my fingers hacked off to the first joint, can attest that the pain never really entirely ends for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.