Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek
222 Posts
Thats a pretty sensational title.

In conclusion, Consumer Reports says if you have to warm up your car ahead of time, do it for a minute.
The article basically says warming up for a minute is helpful, warming up longer basically causes excess emissions... which I assume is obvious?

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,639 Posts
It's a logical-enough article, though the title is a little click-baity. Basically, it just says that warming up your car for too long is bad for the planet and for your fuel consumption ... but it's not really bad for the car, and that's in line with what we've talked about here before.

Another below-zero morning here, and when I get the nerve to go out I'll probably use the remote start to git the car going about 5 minutes before I head out, just to get the process started ... but running it for 20 minutes would be a little pointless, since I'm going to get cold going outside anyway!

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
I tend to be in the club of start it up, buckle up, put phone on the mount and charger, run the wipers, and take off within a minute of idling. Theres a lot of conflicting thoughts on idling for prolonged periods being poor for engine health, but overall the consensus from mechanics and users seems to be that idling for a moment or two to get oil into the top of engine/valve train is beneficial but beyond that it is better to drive off pretty promptly and the car will warm the cabin faster under driving load anyway.

definitely clickbait article title!

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although they mention emissions, they're making the point (that the average driver may not realize) that you don't need to run an engine for very long for it to be properly lubricated, and the engine doesn't need to be warmed up to operating temperature before driving off (and will warm up quicker if you're driving).

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
227 Posts
It is not just the engine warming up. At subzero temps it is nice to have a little warmth in the cabin as well besides just being out of the wind.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek
222 Posts
Although they mention emissions, they're making the point (that the average driver may not realize) that you don't need to run an engine for very long for it to be properly lubricated, and the engine doesn't need to be warmed up to operating temperature before driving off (and will warm up quicker if you're driving).
If that's the case than a more accurate title might be: "Warming Up Your Car in the Winter Before Driving Might Not Be Helpful"

:)

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
487 Posts
It is not just the engine warming up. At subzero temps it is nice to have a little warmth in the cabin as well besides just being out of the wind.
That's what I liked about the 2011 Golf TDI I had. It had an in dash electric heater of about 1500 watts. Start a stone cold engine turn the fan to the number 2 speed and the temperature selector to full heat and instant heat from the vents. Pretty nice one morning when I started that little diesel @ -40*F. That morning I did give it 2 minutes to warm up before driving off very slowly. Felt like I had square wheels. I'm an advocate of start and go in the winter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Makes chopping the ice off the windows a little easier, too ...
I have an attached heated garage, so my lucky 21 Sport gets to thoroughly thaw out every night.

·
Administrator
5,639 Posts
Fancy!

My old firm had a contract with the NDDOT, so I spent a lot of winter nights in your state. Some of those early winter mornings were brutal, though maybe not quite as bad as Minnesota or Wisconsin ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
-21 F temp right now without counting wind chill here. Snow removal on driveway will wait. Trek with snow tires does good going through the snow drift in the way.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,639 Posts

·
Administrator
5,639 Posts
Raleigh must have been binge-watching Ted Lasso again last night ... :sneaky:

But yeah, I'm not sure where that site lands on the spectrum of clickbait vs. journalism ... by Internet standards, their stuff is pretty well-written, but it's definitely not groundbreaking info.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your Source: "Motor Bisquit" ? In England a bisquit is a scone? a cookie?
A biscuit is what you'd call a cookie. We don't really have the equivalent of US biscuits (as in biscuits and gravy). A scone is sweeter, more dense and often contains dried fruit. And we don't smother them with gravy, we smother them with Devon clotted cream and strawberry jam! Yum!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,436 Posts
This /\ /\ /\
With the caveat to take it easy until the engine reaches full operating temperature.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,194 Posts
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.

Reactions: cedarpangolin

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
My thing is that I live very close to work. I typically will start the car, and get in it about 1 minute later and drive off. But the blue temp light barely turns off before I get to work and shut the car off. Now this is probably worse for the battery than it is for the engine. And it certainly does not begin to warm up the cabin. On the coldest mornings I'll sometimes warm the car up before going out to get in it. But there's been a rash of cat theft in my area, which discourages that.

A local dealer is offering the remote starter installed for about $460. Worth it? I wouldn't use it a lot. But for some winter days, seems like it would make a difference.
Better keep your cat locked in the house with a rash of cat theft in the area! 😉

same here, I live a mile from work currently, and the blue light barely goes off sometimes as I park. It is what it is, at least I have confidence I’m not doing any damage by waiting one minute or less and driving off slow and careful 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.