Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 XV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I’ve have a 2012 XV Petrol Automatic. Had it for about 4 months. 140,000km. Immaculate condition. Regular Subaru 6 month servicing. Fuel pump & filter changed at specified service (about 120k service but 2 1/2 yrs ago). Last 4 weeks when engine is warm but not run for 1-2 hours it’s difficult to start. Many turns of the engine to get going. Even when in stop/start mode it can take an additional turn or 3 when taking off at the lights. Just had a regular service. Mechanic said it’s likely the fuel pump, filter or possibly the gasket between pump unit & tank. Perhaps an air leak.
Any thoughts? Anyone had this before. I am mechanically minded & thanks to youtube I am able to change this filter and/or pump as required. Just want to make sure I’m barking up the right tree before I order the parts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your mechanic is not wrong, but sometimes you need to check the fuel pressure from fuel pump when the problem happen

·
Registered
600 Posts
A simple air leak,fuel pump or filter is unlikely as that would reduce the amount of fuel.An engine needs more fuel when it's cold.An air leak would require even more fuel making it hard to start.It would be like starting a carbureted engine with the choke open.If the leak was that bad on your car then,like running a cold engine with the choke open,the engine wouldn't run right when cold and run better as it warms up.Because it starts good cold makes me lean towards a bad sensor.When the engine is cold,it's tuned to a default setting stored in the ECU.When it warms up,it's then fine tuned via temperature,air pressure/flow/oxygen levels of the air going in and oxygen in the exhaust.You might think that any of these would set off a check engine light.However,it's possible for a sensor to send bad information without triggering a CEL.One more possibility,being it's hard to start after 1 or 2 hours,could be a leaking injector or 2.After 1 or 2 hours,the engine still doesn't need as much fuel as it does cold.In that time,an injector could leak enough fuel to cause that cyinder/s to "flood out".After it cranks a few times,the excess fuel is pumped out and it starts.The best way to find the problem is with a device that can monitor and/or log engine functions in real time,take it for a ride and hope it acts up.If there's no strange readings then the issue is mechanical such as a leaking injector.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It may seldom happen one injector cause difficult start up, but it may cause engine run rough. Difficult to start is more likely fuel pump if there is no engine check light come up

·
Registered
600 Posts
A cold engine needs more fuel than a warm engine.If the fuel pump can deliver enough fuel at a high enough pressure to run a cold engine then it can deliver more than enough fuel for a warm engine.The pump isn't getting hot because it does this after sitting 1 or 2 hours which is plenty of time for it to cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts