Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm old school which means Fog Lights are yellow not white. White lights are auxiliary Driving Lights. Here's my nightmare.... I upgraded the lights on my FRS to led, I went through and did mods on my BMW resulting in a collection of older bulbs many not compatible with my 2019 Crosstrek w/Eyesight. My question and I'm begging for help here, has anybody modded their fog lights to get a true yellow Fog light? I'm looking for a success story here. I'm getting a bit tired of cross referencing, get leds that either don't look right or whatever. I'm considering Diode Dynamics but would like to hear some experience with the yellow fogs. Any other good recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed ALLA H11-COB-72GY in my '19 with Eyesight and they have been fine. Not sure if they are a "true yellow Fog light", but they are yellow and they work for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just tinted the stock ones yellow until I swap them out for the baja designs. Even with just tint, they are definitely yellow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to try to tint the lens but was wondering how long that would last considering its down in the dust so to speak. Bulb is an H16 19 watts. I have a big H11 55 watts, just wondering what those would do, long term, heat wise or would they just pop a fuse. I need to get a schematic for this car. I long or the good ol days of automobiles... When they weren't so temperamental. Now you change a bulb, your remote stops working. Change a bulb and your cruise control stops working. I don't want to even get into flasher modules or lack thereof. (just ranting....)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a set of yellow LED bulbs on amazon to utilize the existing housings - work fine
Alla Lighting 2800lm H16 LED Bulb 3000K Amber Yellow Xtreme Super Bright High Power COB-72 Fog Lights H8 H11 Replacement for Cars, Trucks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a set of yellow LED bulbs on amazon to utilize the existing housings - work fine
Alla Lighting 2800lm H16 LED Bulb 3000K Amber Yellow Xtreme Super Bright High Power COB-72 Fog Lights H8 H11 Replacement for Cars, Trucks
Took a look at Amazon's offerings and the leds are on their way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i replace mine with this fog light kit from ebay, the lens is already yellow, the bulbs is clear.

But I also replace the standard bulbs to the Hell H11 Yellow 55W.

if you are 2018+ you don't need to use wire adaptors, the H11 bulbs can be plug directly from the cars wire.

Love my new super extreme yellow fog

·
Registered
109 Posts
btw, the light kit is direct replacement too. no mod needed. fit perfect. the installation takes about 1 hour for both side. there is a youtube video show you how to do it, is very easy!
I will take some pictures for you if I have time tonight

·
Registered
109 Posts
the funny story is, after i watch the youtube install video, i follow the recommend and i place order for the same JDM light kit from amazon. however, the quality of the kit is so bad, I order it two times, both broken when i receive them. so ended up buy from ebay and the kit is much better quality than the one from amazon.

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
38 Posts
I might invest in those at some point. I tried the film method with a hair dryer and couldn't get it done without wrinkles. Looks fine from afar but up close you can see them, especially when moisture builds up under the wrinkles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I might invest in those at some point. I tried the film method with a hair dryer and couldn't get it done without wrinkles. Looks fine from afar but up close you can see them, especially when moisture builds up under the wrinkles.
it actually cost me notting to have my setup :) I sold the OEM pair on ebay for $120.
and the cost for my yellow fog setup is under $50

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice. I'm trying yellow leds first but the full assembly looks nice. I figure on running the leds until Springthen go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Leds arrived. Took about a half hour to get them in. Perfect. Bright yellow for 20 bucks.

JDM ASTAR 2400 Lumens Extremely Bright PX Chips H11 H8 H16 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Golden Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7CF9TH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CuhYDbA7KYV37
View attachment 298024 View attachment 298025 View attachment 298026
Good luck, Eddie. Let us know if there is any downside to your mod such as a possible warranty claim problem in the future. I totally agree that fog lights are SUPPOSED to be yellow so as to penetrate the blue fog. Any amount of blue in a light beam just illuminates the fog.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Find it hard to believe there would be a warranty issue on fog light bulbs. Seriously, has such a situation taken place ? If so Id like to know about it and question Subaru about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now you have me wondering since you brought this up. Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop manual for the 2019 Crosstrek? In particular, schematics of the lighting system? Better yet, the full electrical system. (beginning to wonder if I should’ve went with the archaic, overpriced Jeep now)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that some sort of written determination from Subaru headquarters in Camden, NJ as to the specs allowed should be gotten. Amps used and heat given off are IMHO probably most important. Let THEM tell you if the bulbs you are using are OK, or at least not likely to cause you a problem whether in or out of warranty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figure I would post the reply I got from Subaru. It pretty much matches the reply I got regarding putting the CVT Temp on the center info screen. Latest request was for a hood ajar indicator and the use of yellow leds or an optional assembly.

Hello E.:

Thank you for getting back to me with these product experiences and recommendations – indicator if hood is open and yellow colored fog lights.

I will pass on your feedback to Product Development for their review and consideration. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our products. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers.

The only fog lights that we offer and recommend for your Crosstrek are the ones equipped on them. Installing different, aftermarket fog lights will not void any warranties on your Crosstrek. The only time warranty coverage might come into question is if the aftermarket fog lights were a direct cause of an issue with your Subaru.

Thank you again for your message and feedback, E.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

So to everybody that read this...can anybody point me in a direction to get schematics regards the fog lights. I’d like to know how they’re powered, what relays, interconnection to
the rest of the electronics, etc. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts