Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 CGK Premium w/ EyeSight and moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The first letter or number of a VIN tells you what country it was built in. J=Japan. A number 1, 4, or 5, indicates the US. Canada is 3, Mexico 2.

"In this group, the first digit or letter identifies the country of origin. For example, cars made in the U.S. start with 1, 4 or 5. Canada is 2, and Mexico is 3. Japan is J, South Korea is K, England is S, Germany is W, and Sweden or Finland is Y. "

So you don't need to know more than the first letter or number of the VIN to know the country of origin.
Country of origin is not the debate point. The point of interest is the letter or number in position 11 of the vin which indicates the manufacturing plant where the vehicle was assembled (as quoted from the edmunds.com url). Each automaker has its own set of plant codes. With the 21 Crosstreks, the options are "H" and "8". Anyone know what each of the letter represents is the $64k question. Just interested for educational purpose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For Subaru, the 11th digit also refer to the transmission type. H and 8 are CVT vehicles built in Japan. G and 9 are 6MT vehicles built in Japan. According to the Facilities page on Subaru's Corporate Profile webpage, Crosstreks are built in the Main Gunma Plant and Yajima Plant, both located in Ota, Gunma. Looking at the VINs of other models in dealers' inventories, Foresters all seem to have H as the 11th digit and the BRZ/WRX have 8/9 as the 11th digit. Based on the fact that the Forester is only built in the Yajima Plant while the BRZ and WRX are only built in the Main Gunma Plant, I'm going to say that H/G were from the Yajima Plant and 8/9 were from the Main Gunma Plant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you’ve ever been to japan, you’ll understand why ALL vehicles should be made there. The single best country I’ve ever been to. The best culture I’ve ever been part of. And the smartest language I’ve ever learned. Ps- I’m an American.

·
Registered
18 CGK Premium w/ EyeSight and moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you’ve ever been to japan, you’ll understand why ALL vehicles should be made there. The single best country I’ve ever been to. The best culture I’ve ever been part of. And the smartest language I’ve ever learned. Ps- I’m an American.
Haven't had the opportunity but its on my bucket list.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
47 Posts
11 th digit on mine is H
Interesting read... Thanks (y)

·
Registered
356 Posts
For Subaru, the 11th digit also refer to the transmission type. H and 8 are CVT vehicles built in Japan. G and 9 are 6MT vehicles built in Japan. According to the Facilities page on Subaru's Corporate Profile webpage, Crosstreks are built in the Main Gunma Plant and Yajima Plant, both located in Ota, Gunma. Looking at the VINs of other models in dealers' inventories, Foresters all seem to have H as the 11th digit and the BRZ/WRX have 8/9 as the 11th digit. Based on the fact that the Forester is only built in the Yajima Plant while the BRZ and WRX are only built in the Main Gunma Plant, I'm going to say that H/G were from the Yajima Plant and 8/9 were from the Main Gunma Plant.

Good info - two different plants in Japan produce the Crosstrek. 11th digit = transmission + assembly plant. All makes sense now.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts