Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 CGK Premium w/ EyeSight and moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of purchasing a 21 Crosstrek limited and noticed the 11th digit on the vin represents the "assembly plant and transmission type". I'm seeing some have "H" for FHI and "8" for SIA. Does that mean some Crosstrek are final assembled in the US? Thanks.

nm. found the answer. Always thought all Crosstreks were assembled in Japan and shipped to the US. Guess not...

The final assembly point of the car is also shown on the window sticker. In normal speech, this is where the car is built. A car that lists its final assembly point as the United States is built in the U.S., even if a majority of parts come from other countries. Finally, the window sticker displays the country of origin for the car’s major components, revealing the production location of the car’s engine and transmission. This is a big deal to some drivers because these are the most important items powering a car.

Are there any preference for a Crosstrek to be assembled in Japan or in the US?

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as I know, only the outback, legacy, and ascent were made in Indiana.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@SubaruBill im thinking the 1st letter of the vin indicates where the major components of tthe car are made and not where the car was put together which to me is just as important as where the major components are made.
@DieselDorf there's the thinking that Japanese workers take more pride in their work and have more attention to details. This is my opinion and by no means a fact. So hence i would prefer one that's assembled in Japan over US even though most of the parts comes from the same place.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,674 Posts
All Crosstreks are manufactured at Gunma, Japan. VIN beginning with "J" will confirm that.
Yep, this is correct. All Crosstreks sold in North America are assembled in Japan, and the vast majority of the car's parts are also made in Japan, including the engines and transmissions. (The sticker on my 2021 said that the vehicle was 85% Japanese content.) This has been the case as long as the model has existed.

The Subaru plant in Indiana assembles only the Outback, Legacy, and Ascent (and they formerly made the Tribeca). The engines and transmissions used in those models also come from Japan, although I think the American content in those vehicles is about 50% overall.

There are lots of online sites that offer to help decode a VIN. The cars101.com site has a detailed one specifically for Subarus.

·
Registered
356 Posts
"Final Assembly Point: Ota, Gunma, Japan" - from the Monroney sticker or new car sticker. There nothing to argue about. It's statement of fact

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"Final Assembly Point: Ota, Gunma, Japan" - from the Monroney sticker or new car sticker. There nothing to argue about. It's statement of fact
Would you mind sharing the 1st 11 digit of your vin? The 21 limited vin starts with JF2GTHMCxMH or JF2GTHMCxM8 with the x as a checksum and varies. I'm seeing vin with the 11th digit as H or 8. If they are all made in the same place, that letter of the vin should be the same, no? I'm not saying all Crosstreks are built in US but seems like for the 21 model year, some Crosstreks are assembled in SIA which would explain the change in the vin. I'm interested to know other ppls vin (just the 1st 11 digits) and what their Monroney sticker say as the Final Assembly Point.

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
I assume you’re browsing dealer inventory on the web. Most Subaru dealer websites allow you to actually view a PDF of the car’s window sticker; take a look at some of those, and you’ll see that the Crosstreks are all assembled in Japan, using Japanese-made engines and transmissions, regardless of whether the 11th digit is an 8 or an H.

Note that the code used to create VINs can vary from year to year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, i am browsing thru dealers' inventory on the web. Didn't see or know dealers might post pdf of the car's window sticker as none of the dealerships that i was looking near me (NYC metro area). I'm going to stop by a dealership today and will walk around. i understand that vin codes could change from year to year however, most of the formatting stays the same. hoping to minimize time at a dealership by doing online research and to leverage this members' knowledge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update: Stopped by a dealership (oh the joy). Confirmed that even though the 11th digit is a "8", the final assembly point said 'Gunma, Japan' on the Window Sticker.

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
That means the online VIN decoding tools apparently need to be updated. It would be interesting to know specifically what that digit designates in the 2021s ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
That means the online VIN decoding tools apparently need to be updated. It would be interesting to know specifically what that digit designates in the 2021s ...
Looking on my dealers website - impreza, outback, legacy and ascent 11th digit is a "3" and all made in USA. Foresters are all "H" - made in Japan, WRX are all "9" - made in Japan. Crosstrek with standard transmission is a "9". Crosstrek with CVT is "H" or "8" - don't see any obvious difference in the cars. BTW- I had a '18 and now '21 crosstrek and the 11th digit is a "8" in both cases

Reactions: Whatswong

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
And the 11th digit on my 2021 Pure Red Limited is an "H" ... go figure.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Looking on my dealers website - impreza, outback, legacy and ascent 11th digit is a "3" and all made in USA. Foresters are all "H" - made in Japan, WRX are all "9" - made in Japan. Crosstrek with standard transmission is a "9". Crosstrek with CVT is "H" or "8" - don't see any obvious difference in the cars. BTW- I had a '18 and now '21 crosstrek and the 11th digit is a "8" in both cases
My '21 pure red is a"8". From what I read the 11th digit is a combination of the plant and transmission. Maybe the plant has multiple lines and they assign a different digit tio each line?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,109 Posts
there's the thinking that Japanese workers take more pride in their work and have more attention to details. This is my opinion and by no means a fact. So hence i would prefer one that's assembled in Japan over US even though most of the parts comes from the same place.
I would certainly agree with your line of thinking if this were the 1970-1980's era when virtually all cars with a Japanese nameplate were made in Japan. However, as Japanese manufacturers began opening plants in the US (think Toyota in Georgetown KY and Honda in Marysville OH) it became obvious that quality of assembly had more to do with corporate culture than country culture.

My thinking changed after we bought a US-built 2007 Honda Accord. Some 2007's were made in Japan and some in the US. Like you, I wanted one made in Japan but the particular color/trim/options we wanted was an Accord made in the US. After 13 years I can honestly say that our US-built Accord has been the most reliable and trouble-free vehicle we have ever owned. That goes for fit and finish too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would certainly agree with your line of thinking if this were the 1970-1980's era when virtually all cars with a Japanese nameplate cars were made in Japan. However, as Japanese manufacturers began opening plants in the US (think Toyota in Georgetown KY and Honda in Marysville OH) it became obvious that quality of assembly had more to do with corporate culture than country culture.

My thinking changed after we bought a US-built 2007 Honda Accord. Some 2007's were made in Japan and some in the US. Like you, I wanted one made in Japan but the particular color/trim/options we wanted was an Accord made in the US. After 13 years I can honestly say that our US-built Accord has been the most reliable and trouble-free vehicle we have ever owned. That goes for fit and finish too.
Its my perception and solely my opinion and I am not always right. Just ask the Mrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the process of purchasing a 21 Crosstrek limited and noticed the 11th digit on the vin represents the "assembly plant and transmission type". I'm seeing some have "H" for FHI and "8" for SIA. Does that mean some Crosstrek are final assembled in the US? Thanks.

nm. found the answer. Always thought all Crosstreks were assembled in Japan and shipped to the US. Guess not...

The final assembly point of the car is also shown on the window sticker. In normal speech, this is where the car is built. A car that lists its final assembly point as the United States is built in the U.S., even if a majority of parts come from other countries. Finally, the window sticker displays the country of origin for the car’s major components, revealing the production location of the car’s engine and transmission. This is a big deal to some drivers because these are the most important items powering a car.

Are there any preference for a Crosstrek to be assembled in Japan or in the US?
All Crosstreks are made in Japan.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,196 Posts
The first letter or number of a VIN tells you what country it was built in. J=Japan. A number 1, 4, or 5, indicates the US. Canada is 3, Mexico 2.

"In this group, the first digit or letter identifies the country of origin. For example, cars made in the U.S. start with 1, 4 or 5. Canada is 2, and Mexico is 3. Japan is J, South Korea is K, England is S, Germany is W, and Sweden or Finland is Y. "

So you don't need to know more than the first letter or number of the VIN to know the country of origin.

Reactions: Graphite
1 - 20 of 27 Posts