Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got a new to me 2016 Crosstrek Premium CPO w/ 43k miles. During the CPO procedure the battery and the right rear wheel bearing were replaced, with no other issues being found.

Since I've had the car I have noticed a fairly loud vibration/humming noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds, i.e. when turning into a parking spot. The noise only happens after the car has warmed up (10-15 minute drive), and happens when turning left or right at any steering angle really. I've checked the following: CV axels, wheel bearings, and tires.

I'm about to bring it to the dealership but don't want the typical "that's a normal sound for a Subaru". Has anybody else experienced this? Based on the noise only appearing after the car has warmed up and been driven, I'm leaning towards it being the front differential or the CVT. I was going to replace the front diff fluid at my next oil change, but want to get this sorted before I do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!
I have the exact same issue, I’ve had it for almost a year, and nobody can help me with it!
I have been to 3 separate Subaru’s & they want to replace the entire transmission, which is very costly, I want to know exactly what part & replace the part.
I have had front & rear diff fluid change out, transmission fluid change out, and modification carried out to the transmission clutch pack, with no improvement
I have had the tyres rotated & checked & balanced.
Another mechanic is thinking a valve body issue
Nothing has helped so I am hoping that you may have the answer
Thanks 😊

·
Registered
579 Posts
If it only happens when turning then the CVT itself is fine.It has to do the exact same thing no matter if you are turning or not.For some reason people always jump to the conclusion that it's the CVT whenever something isn't quite right.There's 2 things that I can think of that could do that while turning.It's either the front differential,which is housed inside the CVT casing,or the electric motor for the power steering on the steering column.Does it happen as you are turning the steering wheel?That would be power steering.Or when the steering wheel is stationary and the car itself is turning?That would be differential?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello!
I have the exact same issue, I’ve had it for almost a year, and nobody can help me with it!
I have been to 3 separate Subaru’s & they want to replace the entire transmission, which is very costly, I want to know exactly what part & replace the part.
I have had front & rear diff fluid change out, transmission fluid change out, and modification carried out to the transmission clutch pack, with no improvement
I have had the tyres rotated & checked & balanced.
Another mechanic is thinking a valve body issue
Nothing has helped so I am hoping that you may have the answer
Thanks 😊
I have same problem with you. And I still can’t find the problem. Some people told me that it should be the electric power steering problem. But I not sure. If you solve the problem, please let me know. Thank in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it only happens when turning then the CVT itself is fine.It has to do the exact same thing no matter if you are turning or not.For some reason people always jump to the conclusion that it's the CVT whenever something isn't quite right.There's 2 things that I can think of that could do that while turning.It's either the front differential,which is housed inside the CVT casing,or the electric motor for the power steering on the steering column.Does it happen as you are turning the steering wheel?That would be power steering.Or when the steering wheel is stationary and the car itself is turning?That would be differential?
People told me it’s the EPS motion problem also. But the EPS warming didn’t pop out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

Just got a new to me 2016 Crosstrek Premium CPO w/ 43k miles. During the CPO procedure the battery and the right rear wheel bearing were replaced, with no other issues being found.

Since I've had the car I have noticed a fairly loud vibration/humming noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds, i.e. when turning into a parking spot. The noise only happens after the car has warmed up (10-15 minute drive), and happens when turning left or right at any steering angle really. I've checked the following: CV axels, wheel bearings, and tires.

I'm about to bring it to the dealership but don't want the typical "that's a normal sound for a Subaru". Has anybody else experienced this? Based on the noise only appearing after the car has warmed up and been driven, I'm leaning towards it being the front differential or the CVT. I was going to replace the front diff fluid at my next oil change, but want to get this sorted before I do that.
Please update here if you solve the problem

·
Registered
579 Posts
People told me it’s the EPS motion problem also. But the EPS warming didn’t pop out.
So you're saying that it only makes sound when the steering wheel is being turned?The light will only tell you if there is an issue with the electronics and the sensors don't always pick up those issues either.Just because there's no warning light doesn't mean that there's no mechanical problem.If you can turn the wheel without excessive force then the electronics are working as they should and thus there will be no light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So you're saying that it only makes sound when the steering wheel is being turned?The light will only tell you if there is an issue with the electronics and the sensors don't always pick up those issues either.Just because there's no warning light doesn't mean that there's no mechanical problem.If you can turn the wheel without excessive force then the electronics are working as they should and thus there will be no light.
So I think I have the same problem of torque bind. Only to solve the vibration is to change the whole Center differential ??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Does the car have to be moving to make the sound or does just turning the steering wheel?If it is torque bind then how long has it been since the tires were rotated?When I got a used '02 impreza,the previous owner didn't rotate the tires and the fronts were worn much more than the rears.After a tire rotation,the torque bind went away.I'm not sure about the CVT but I'm pretty sure the center diff is the same as my '02 4EAT.The tail unbolts from the back of the transmission,giving access to the clutch pack that works as the diff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
did your car torque bind come after driving 10 - 15 mins ? For me, after driving 10 - 15 mins , I can feel vibration when turning tight at low speed. if I put N and turning there is no vibration. so I think its not the tire problem. I try to do the balance and rotate the tires but seems no change . but I think the differential is broken.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the car have to be moving to make the sound or does just turning the steering wheel?If it is torque bind then how long has it been since the tires were rotated?When I got a used '02 impreza,the previous owner didn't rotate the tires and the fronts were worn much more than the rears.After a tire rotation,the torque bind went away.I'm not sure about the CVT but I'm pretty sure the center diff is the same as my '02 4EAT.The tail unbolts from the back of the transmission,giving access to the clutch pack that works as the diff.
did your car torque bind come after driving 10 - 15 mins ? For me, after driving 10 - 15 mins , I can feel vibration when turning tight at low speed. if I put N and turning there is no vibration. so I think its not the tire problem. I try to do the balance and rotate the tires but seems no change . but I think the differential is broken.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes,put the front tires on the back.If this isn't done regularly then the fronts will wear faster than the rears.If the fronts are worn more than the rears then the center differential will bind.Putting the worn tires on the rear fixed the binding on my '02 because the front tires must travel farther than the rear tires when turning.The bigger tires on the front will reduce the number of revolutions needed to travel the same distance.If it's fine when cold then uneven tire wear can make the diff get hot because it will be constantly slipping to compensate for the difference in the number of rotations the fronts make vs the rears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes,put the front tires on the back.If this isn't done regularly then the fronts will wear faster than the rears.If the fronts are worn more than the rears then the center differential will bind.Putting the worn tires on the rear fixed the binding on my '02 because the front tires must travel farther than the rear tires when turning.The bigger tires on the front will reduce the number of revolutions needed to travel the same distance.If it's fine when cold then uneven tire wear can make the diff get hot because it will be constantly slipping to compensate for the difference in the number of rotations the fronts make vs the rears.
I just change the new tire to the front , and I still can feel vibration when turning at low speed after driving 10 mins. SO SAD , it’s mean my differential need to replace ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I can't say with 100% certainty because I can't be there to know exactly what it's doing.I would say I'm about 95% sure that that's your problem,based on your description.

WAIT! Did you say you put "THE" new tire on the front?As in 1 new tire?You never,EVER put just 1 new tire on an AWD vehicle.Putting just 1 new tire,even on a 2WD car will overheat and eventually damage the differential.Putting 2 new tires on the front is fine as long as there isn't too much wear on the rears.They will soon wear down to match the older rears.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
True, although it depends on the difference in wear. We had to get a new tire after only a couple thousand miles and the dealer only changed the one.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes,it depends on wear.However,His diff is getting hot resulting in torque bind.I would think that if the diff had been damaged and needed replaced then it would bind no matter the temp.The diff heats up for 2 reasons.Mismatched tires or a lack of lubrication and I highly doubt the latter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't say with 100% certainty because I can't be there to know exactly what it's doing.I would say I'm about 95% sure that that's your problem,based on your description.

WAIT! Did you say you put "THE" new tire on the front?As in 1 new tire?You never,EVER put just 1 new tire on an AWD vehicle.Putting just 1 new tire,even on a 2WD car will overheat and eventually damage the differential.Putting 2 new tires on the front is fine as long as there isn't too much wear on the rears.They will soon wear down to match the older rears.
I change two new tires , so it should be differential ? Last year I was checked the differential , they open it and Subaru say they can’t find any problem in differential , or should it be the solenoid broken ??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts