Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found our driver's side(both, upper and lower) solenoids leaking when I got under the car the other week to do a coolant/t-stat service. This morning I got out there and changed them out. 2 10mm bolts holding each in. The clip that holds the electrical harness on is mildly snug in there. Parts ordered for a MY18 premium/wt cvt:
1) Vvt solenoid pt # 10921AA231
2) o-ring seal pt # 806944060
3) plastic ring pt # 16677AA040
The o-ring seal didn't seem to be the main cause for the leak, it was coming from the switch housing itself. It's a fairly easy DIY on this engine. The fact, one of our local dealers carries 12 of the o-rings in stock, says they are replacing them like mad. Afterwards, engine runs better with less noise. If I had to take a guess, the old recalled plastic pcv had broken apart and some bits made it to the solenoids.

Sorry for the poor pic, camera had wrong lens on it.

Hope this helps some others out there.
Regards

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
Bank 1 is the passenger side (right side) in the US. Cylinder 1 and 3.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The o-ring seal didn't seem to be the main cause for the leak, it was coming from the switch housing itself. It's a fairly easy DIY on this engine. The fact, one of our local dealers carries 12 of the o-rings in stock, says they are replacing them like mad.
There's a TSB about it.
MC-10160214-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Subaru calls it Active Valve Control System (AVCS). There are 4 solenoids, 2 for intake valves and 2 for exhaust valves.

If replacing the solenoids yourself, apply engine oil to O-ring and torque bolts to 4.7 ft-lb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found our driver's side(both, upper and lower) solenoids leaking when I got under the car the other week to do a coolant/t-stat service. This morning I got out there and changed them out. 2 10mm bolts holding each in. The clip that holds the electrical harness on is mildly snug in there. Parts ordered for a MY18 premium/wt cvt:
1) Vvt solenoid pt # 10921AA231
2) o-ring seal pt # 806944060
3) plastic ring pt # 16677AA040
The o-ring seal didn't seem to be the main cause for the leak, it was coming from the switch housing itself. It's a fairly easy DIY on this engine. The fact, one of our local dealers carries 12 of the o-rings in stock, says they are replacing them like mad. Afterwards, engine runs better with less noise. If I had to take a guess, the old recalled plastic pcv had broken apart and some bits made it to the solenoids.
View attachment 307008
Sorry for the poor pic, camera had wrong lens on it.
View attachment 307009
Hope this helps some others out there.
Regards
Trying to get the plug off the solenoid but having a hard time. Subaru mechanic says no trick , shouldm ust come straight off but I've been tugging pretty hard with no sucess. Is there a trick to getting this off?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to get the plug off the solenoid but having a hard time. Subaru mechanic says no trick , shouldm ust come straight off but I've been tugging pretty hard with no sucess. Is there a trick to getting this off?
There is a release tab. I use a long, thin, small end craftsman flat screw driver, or one of the picks out of a Snap-on pick set. Take due caution, as it's plastic and breaks quite easily. The one benefit here, the front of the engine has decent access, thankfully. Good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts