Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying unsuccessfully to run Google Maps on my USB-tethered iPhone 7 while listening to the radio. As soon as Google Maps gives a spoken direction, it mutes the radio (good) but never unmutes it.

Is this working as expected? (Apple Maps works properly in this regard, but it also tends to send me places I didn't want to go.)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
ONLY Apple Maps is supported by Apple for it's CarPlay. That said, Apple Maps I have found to be quite similar to Google Maps. It gives me the same routes in the same order. Apple Maps also changes almost instantly on the fly should you take a different route, and it learns your routes over time. I take three different routes going to work depending on day of the week, and Apple Maps gives me the preferred route for the day right off. Freeway on my early days, surface roads on my regular days, and toll road on the one day I work the later shift.

I didn't want to change from Waze, but had no choice. It didn't take long to get used to and even start liking Apple Maps. That said, you can use Google Maps or even Waze, but not plugged into the USB, which kicks off Apple CarPlay. And of course, not on the car's monitor. You'll need a phone mount to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that answers that :) . Thanks.

It's odd to me that it partially works -- the visual map appears on the Starlink console fine, and the spoken instructions supersede the radio broadcast; it just never relinquishes the sound channel back to the radio.

Assuming that Apple Maps uses the same programming interfaces that are available to any CarPlay app developer, it seems like Google Maps just hasn't been made CarPlay compatible.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,006 Posts
Well, that answers that :) . Thanks.

It's odd to me that it partially works -- the visual map appears on the Starlink console fine, and the spoken instructions supersede the radio broadcast; it just never relinquishes the sound channel back to the radio.

Assuming that Apple Maps uses the same programming interfaces that are available to any CarPlay app developer, it seems like Google Maps just hasn't been made CarPlay compatible.
I wasn't aware that Google Maps was supported at all by Carplay. Are you seeing the Google Maps map on the screen in the car? How are you running Google Maps - on the phone or from the CarPlay screen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phone is USB-tethered and CarPlay is running. Google Maps icon is not shown on Carplay menu. I started it from the iphone. The audio, however, comes through the car stereo. This appears to be true of all iphone apps that produce audio - at least the ones I tested.

I was mistaken about the Google map displaying on the car screen - that was apparently the Apple Maps map.

So, it appears that audio from any iOS app -- CarPlay enabled or not -- will be routed to the car stereo, and that's all that was happening with Google Maps.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,006 Posts
Phone is USB-tethered and CarPlay is running. Google Maps icon is not shown on Carplay menu. I started it from the iphone. The audio, however, comes through the car stereo. This appears to be true of all iphone apps that produce audio - at least the ones I tested.

I was mistaken about the Google map displaying on the car screen - that was apparently the Apple Maps map.

So, it appears that audio from any iOS app -- CarPlay enabled or not -- will be routed to the car stereo, and that's all that was happening with Google Maps.
OK, that's what I would expect. Google Maps works with Android Auto but not Apple Carplay. If you don't have the iPhone connected to the USB but it's paired to the Bluetooth in the car you could be hearing the phone's audio through the speakers from the apps that are running on the phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts