Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 premium 6MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Subaru has a lot of wiring that’s preexisting like the trailer hitch and for the fog light kit they sell all just plug and play. I have a ‘21 premium it has the cig lighter in the center console but no usb. Does anyone know if the wiring for the usb is there. There is just a cover in place of where the usb should be on higher trim models. Was wondering if I could just get the factory USB ports from a junk yard or online and plug them right in?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,280 Posts
I thought that after '18 they moved the USB to the cubby under the HU? I suspect that was to reduce the overall cable length. Are you referring to the armrest cubby?

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
Got it. Our '18 Limited has two USB ports in the armrest cubby and since day one I've had a USB C cable and a Lightning cable plugged in there. I have a Google Pixel (Android) and OtherAstroKat has an iPhone. They always work, except that if I am using Android Auto to navigate and she plugs in her iPhone to charge it will take over, so there's a priority issue. We now have a cig port adaptor for that.

Just run a cable. It's easy to slip it under the side of the center console without pulling anything apart.

There have been some issues with certain brands of phones (e.g. Samsung Galaxy) and AA. I had an original Samsung Note but my last three have been Pixels - assuming that Google's version of Android is about as pure Android as you can get.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,012 Posts
As Astrokats wrote, the cubby under the HU for music and data.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
2021 premium 6MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m just looking for charging power, I was curious if anyone has either installed an OEM set of subs or has been under the arm rest to see if the wiring was there

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
I’m just looking for charging power, I was curious if anyone has either installed an OEM set of subs or has been under the arm rest to see if the wiring was there
It's just a USB cable. I can't say for certain because I haven't pulled the center console apart (yet) but that's all you need, and I doubt there's anything there after they moved it. If it's only for charging I'd recommend a cig port adaptor. Our Limited has a cig port in the armrest cubby.

Thanks @CRAZYHAWK I wasn't sure when that happened...

Reactions: subyrubyroo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts