Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,333 Posts
I wanted to add info I recently discovered so it might help other members at some time. I have used an iPod for the past few years to store my music to play in my vehicles. The way it is supposed to work is when you play an iPod through the USB port the iPod is just storage for files to the Head Unit. I have always been bothered by a slight distortion in the highs as I upgraded my sound system, adding a small amp, then a larger one, and finally replacing the Kickers with component JL Audios up front and new coaxials in the back. It would get better, but it was never quite right and I had to EQ he hell out of it. So after two years (duh) I put files on a thumb drive and voila, the sound was incredible, MUCH better than from the iPod (no comments Mr. AK :) I started digging through lists and found others have noticed the same thing. So I put a full load of files on a 32 FAT drive and the sound was now blowing me away, BUT like many others I couldn't, no matter how I tried, get them to play in the right order. Tried everything. Being a retired Media librarian I could the web and fond the solution if you use iTunes, which I have for years so I thought I would pass it along in hoped it can help others. Create a playlist in iTunes (Mac or Windows) and drag the songs or albums into the thumb drive window to copy the files. Then Menu - File - Export Playlist. Export to the thumb drive and the files will all play incorrect order. It works perfectly. Good luck.
This worked for Rubber Soul, but not for the Sun King Medley on Abbey Road. There were spaces added between the tracks

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,737 Posts
Two possibilities: 1. The gapless playback setting is now automatic in iTunes after version 12 but it wasn't always. When you add files now you can see the small circle twirling on the upper right of the app screen. You can do a search on how to have it do the same for your entire library of music files managed by iTunes. 2. If you ripped them into your iTunes from a cd-r that was not burned properly then the gap cur is there even if you didn't hear it on playback of the cd-r. But it was still detected and retained by iTunes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran into this issue first thing and had to find a fix - bottom line is the head unit doesn't process ID3 tags like it should...

The solution for me that is working is as follows.

I have to copy all music into a temp folder on my PC and remove Track & Title ID3 tags from all songs before copying to USB for use in the car.
Note - do this on a hard drive vs modifying ID3 tags on a usb stick. 1000x faster.

The head unit will read Artist/Album info from the ID3 meta data, then pull track order & track name info from the file name.

My windows file names are in this format: Folder (Artist Name - Album) | Track # - Title
E.g. AC DC - Back in Black \ 01 - Hells Bells.mp3

I tried different USB file formats, re-ordering the FAT table, ID3v1/v2 meta data...
This was the only combo I found that allowed album-order playback for all MP3 albums copied to USB for use with my HK media hub in my '18.
Not a fan of the solution, but I'm working on a copy of the songs, and after I have 3-4 USB sticks full of music for car use only it's not so bad.

Hope this helps.
Is there a way to automate that removal process? I can't think of a better waste of time that to perform that task manually. I'm on OSX running Parallels so I can run Windows 10 and do it. Some specifics would be great. Subaru and Harman really need to get their $#!T together on this. My 64GB USB drive [FAT32] that has the problem we are all experiencing on the Subaru works flawlessly on my 2013 Chevy Volt and 2014 Ford Escape i.e. Artist>Album>Songs on that album.... period! There's no excuse for this and certainly no way end users should have to waste their time on this.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,959 Posts
Is there a way to automate that removal process? I can't think of a better waste of time that to perform that task manually. I'm on OSX running Parallels so I can run Windows 10 and do it. Some specifics would be great. Subaru and Harman really need to get their $#!T together on this. My 64GB USB drive [FAT32] that has the problem we are all experiencing on the Subaru works flawlessly on my 2013 Chevy Volt and 2014 Ford Escape i.e. Artist>Album>Songs on that album.... period! There's no excuse for this and certainly no way end users should have to waste their time on this.
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,333 Posts
This software does a good job ripping albums in original order. It can burn without gaps between tracks.

Exact Audio Copy

21 - 26 of 26 Posts