Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Subaru and recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrek Limited with the Harman audio upgrade package and am having an array of annoying issues. Most of which are related to the USB ports.

Issue 1
The car comes with two USB ports. If I have a USB stick loaded with .mp3 files in one and my iPhone8 plugged into the other, you can't seem to switch between the two via the head unit. As soon as the phone is connected, CarPlay takes over and I have no option to play the USB stick. I can get back to the car menu, and hit the Media button, but the USB stick will not register if the phone is connected. Does anyone else seem to have that issue?

Issue 2
I have my USB stick loaded with .mp3 files. They are loaded by Artist>Album>Track. But no matter how I place the files on the stick, or how they are tagged in iTunes (or 3rd party .mp3 tagging apps) the head unit plays everything in alphabetical order! You can't listen to Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road in alphabetical track order! It's hugely frustrating. I've reached out to Subaru and Harman and they are telling me it's DESIGNED THAT WAY? Surely not? Anyone else have this issue??

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
Numbers come before A-Z in ASCII. Burn all tracks in mp3 for the 2 CDs placing 00 to 16 in front of the song title. Copy it back to the USB stick. Good.luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Numbers come before A-Z in ASCII. Burn all tracks in mp3 for the 2 CDs placing 00 to 16 in front of the song title. Copy it back to the USB stick. Good.luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have tried that. I have tried prefixing the track file name with 00,01,02 as well as tagging the track metadata with prefixed numbers. I have tried off a Windows PC, and a Mac and on two different USB sticks. Using the same stick I used on my 2015 VW Golf as well. And that car displayed in track order as you would expect.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
I play Sun King to Her Majesty by making a CD. Your car doesn't have a disk player.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
You must mean, you can't play the tracks in their original order.

I am new to Subaru and recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrek Limited with the Harman audio upgrade package and am having an array of annoying issues. Most of which are related to the USB ports.

You can't listen to Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road in alphabetical track order! It's hugely frustrating. I've reached out to Subaru and Harman and they are telling me it's DESIGNED THAT WAY? Surely not? Anyone else have this issue??

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
Try prefixing the track names with letters (A - Z).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had similar issue with an mp3 player I used on my motorcycle. I ripped the albums as a single mp3. I could at least select the album and listen to the whole thing. You can't select individual tracks. But at least you can listen to the whole album.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same issue. Tracks from my iPod play in alphabetical order instead of their running order. What a ridiculous oversight!! Please tell me there is a fix for this.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,320 Posts
I have the same issue. Tracks from my iPod play in alphabetical order instead of their running order. What a ridiculous oversight!! Please tell me there is a fix for this.
Try prefixing the track names with 00 to 24.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not that it will make you feel any better, but, each receiver I have used in conjunction with a memory stick has ordered the songs in some different, random way. I find this very annoying and have given up on plugging in any type of flash drive.
My favorite was a stereo that ordered the tracks by length.
I have long since given up on renaming tracks to make a playlist. I just stick with something which has a screen and can be sorted that way.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My solution is to just play music off the USB on shuffle. Then again, I've never been invested in listening to the tunes in any kind of special or specific order, so for me it's a perfectly fine solution.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My solution is to just play music off the USB on shuffle. Then again, I've never been invested in listening to the tunes in any kind of special or specific order, so for me it's a perfectly fine solution.
For me, this was always a laughable experience.

Random often meant Vivaldi -> Pantera -> The Chemical Brothers -> Steely Dan -> Notorious B.I.G. -> Prince -> Pavarotti -> Bach -> Deee-Lite -> Strauss -> Prodigy -> Between the Buried and Me -> etc. etc.
Virtually impossible to "get into the groove."

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Random often meant Vivaldi -> Pantera -> The Chemical Brothers -> Steely Dan -> Notorious B.I.G. -> Prince -> Pavarotti -> Bach -> Deee-Lite -> Strauss -> Prodigy -> Between the Buried and Me -> etc. etc.
I guess it's a different strokes deal then, cuz that mix would totally rock to me :) Strauss segueing into The Prodigy is AWESOME! Then again, I'm weird.

·
Registered
141 Posts
FWIW, the head unit does the same thing with iPods and iPhones. It will play albums and playlists in alphabetical order instead of the tracking order.

It's an amazingly bad oversight on Harmon's part.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

I dig stuff like...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Issue 2
I have my USB stick loaded with .mp3 files. They are loaded by Artist>Album>Track. But no matter how I place the files on the stick, or how they are tagged in iTunes (or 3rd party .mp3 tagging apps) the head unit plays everything in alphabetical order! You can't listen to Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road in alphabetical track order! It's hugely frustrating. I've reached out to Subaru and Harman and they are telling me it's DESIGNED THAT WAY? Surely not? Anyone else have this issue??
I ran into this issue first thing and had to find a fix - bottom line is the head unit doesn't process ID3 tags like it should...

The solution for me that is working is as follows.

I have to copy all music into a temp folder on my PC and remove Track & Title ID3 tags from all songs before copying to USB for use in the car.
Note - do this on a hard drive vs modifying ID3 tags on a usb stick. 1000x faster.

The head unit will read Artist/Album info from the ID3 meta data, then pull track order & track name info from the file name.

My windows file names are in this format: Folder (Artist Name - Album) | Track # - Title
E.g. AC DC - Back in Black \ 01 - Hells Bells.mp3

I tried different USB file formats, re-ordering the FAT table, ID3v1/v2 meta data...
This was the only combo I found that allowed album-order playback for all MP3 albums copied to USB for use with my HK media hub in my '18.
Not a fan of the solution, but I'm working on a copy of the songs, and after I have 3-4 USB sticks full of music for car use only it's not so bad.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,733 Posts
I wanted to add info I recently discovered so it might help other members at some time. I have used an iPod for the past few years to store my music to play in my vehicles. The way it is supposed to work is when you play an iPod through the USB port the iPod is just storage for files to the Head Unit. I have always been bothered by a slight distortion in the highs as I upgraded my sound system, adding a small amp, then a larger one, and finally replacing the Kickers with component JL Audios up front and new coaxials in the back. It would get better, but it was never quite right and I had to EQ he hell out of it. So after two years (duh) I put files on a thumb drive and voila, the sound was incredible, MUCH better than from the iPod (no comments Mr. AK :) I started digging through lists and found others have noticed the same thing. So I put a full load of files on a 32 FAT drive and the sound was now blowing me away, BUT like many others I couldn't, no matter how I tried, get them to play in the right order. Tried everything. Being a retired Media librarian I could the web and fond the solution if you use iTunes, which I have for years so I thought I would pass it along in hoped it can help others. Create a playlist in iTunes (Mac or Windows) and drag the songs or albums into the thumb drive window to copy the files. Then Menu - File - Export Playlist. Export to the thumb drive and the files will all play incorrect order. It works perfectly. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
555 Posts
I have not had that issue with my iPod. If the iPod is set to shuffle, it shuffles when played through the head unit.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
I wanted to add info I recently discovered so it might help other members at some time. I have used an iPod for the past few years to store my music to play in my vehicles. The way it is supposed to work is when you play an iPod through the USB port the iPod is just storage for files to the Head Unit. I have always been bothered by a slight distortion in the highs as I upgraded my sound system, adding a small amp, then a larger one, and finally replacing the Kickers with component JL Audios up front and new coaxials in the back. It would get better, but it was never quite right and I had to EQ he hell out of it. So after two years (duh) I put files on a thumb drive and voila, the sound was incredible, MUCH better than from the iPod (no comments Mr. AK :) I started digging through lists and found others have noticed the same thing. So I put a full load of files on a 32 FAT drive and the sound was now blowing me away, BUT like many others I couldn't, no matter how I tried, get them to play in the right order. Tried everything. Being a retired Media librarian I could the web and fond the solution if you use iTunes, which I have for years so I thought I would pass it along in hoped it can help others. Create a playlist in iTunes (Mac or Windows) and drag the songs or albums into the thumb drive window to copy the files. Then Menu - File - Export Playlist. Export to the thumb drive and the files will all play incorrect order. It works perfectly. Good luck.
https://goo.gl/images/PPLV6f

1 - 20 of 26 Posts