Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a newer crosstrek sport is it better or easier to upgrade the headlights with bulbs like the Diode Dynamics SL1s or add like a lightbar or something else i do alot of early morning and late night driving with lots of deer just looking for something a little more or better thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
Light bars are illegal for on the road.

There are a lot of leds that are very bright.

Diode dynamics are good but very pricey.

There are a lot of other brands that have good light output and quality for a fraction of the price.

AUXITO is a very good led brand and there’s about a million others.

I’ve found across brands as long as the leds are positioned on the sides of the unit they have an identical cutoff and beam pattern to the stock halogens

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,429 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
935 Posts
Light bars are illegal for on the road.

There are a lot of leds that are very bright.

Diode dynamics are good but very pricey.

There are a lot of other brands that have good light output and quality for a fraction of the price.

AUXITO is a very good led brand and there’s about a million others.

I’ve found across brands as long as the leds are positioned on the sides of the unit they have an identical cutoff and beam pattern to the stock halogens
That's the issue, precisely. Cheap vendors advertize BS light output values. A headlight shoud NOT exceed 2-3000 lumens, never, ever. You'dre driving on public roads with other drivers facing you A LED source should not be "very bright", it should be better than OEM halonges while respecting the DOT or ECE framework. Especially in North America, with our prehistorical DOT regulations, forcing headlamps to actually have glare (as opposed to ECE), and without mandatory headlamp washers for HID/LED headlamps (as opposed to Europe).

The second problem is the placement of the LED emissive surface. It's not enough for them to be placed on the sides - it's free-space optical engineering. 1 mm of an offset at the focal point leads to signficant beam geometry changes, different cutoffs, and different stray beam patterns.

There's a reason DD charges an arm, a leg and an appendage for their products. I'm not advocating for them specifically, just giving then as an example whereby in a product development cost, prices goes exponentially as you narrow down fabrication tolerances and MTFBs. You could have identical Amazon LEDs with a +/- 1 mm more of manufacturing tolerances, heat dissipation tolerances, or a much wider statistical lifetime variance, and the price will drop by half.. beause they're effectively crap.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There’s always a risk with aftermarket leds even with good ones. The bulbs don’t sit exactly perfectly in the housings so a mm isn’t going to make much difference anyways.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,429 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,429 Posts
From Consumer Reports Talking Cars #371, Jen on LED replacements;
These are projector housings.

Reactions: ttaf42 and Lee2021

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,429 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I thought about adding to his but I didn’t want to highjack his thread…and it’s a fine line where I’m trying to walk it’s for the 20-30% of the time where I’m going hunting early in the mornings where it’s dark or on my way to work I have a 40 mile drive 2 lane highway out in the country that’s full of deer..I was thinking the led upgrade but yet I don’t want to piss other drivers off but yet with a light bar I can turn it off and on just like my high beams the leds seem like a better thing but yea they have their drawbacks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I fitted a light bar to my XV (completely legal where I live as long as they are controlled with high beam) and am very happy with the extra brightness and depth of lighting. This is just a small light bar that mounts above the licence plate

I dont know the headlight replacement you are talking about , but in general I have yet to see a bulb replacement that in anyway matches lightbars or spots. Depends on your situation I guess. I live regionally and my main concern is avoiding wildlife, if you live in the city then the bulb replacement path may be fine.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,157 Posts
Yea I thought about adding to his but I didn’t want to highjack his thread…and it’s a fine line where I’m trying to walk it’s for the 20-30% of the time where I’m going hunting early in the mornings where it’s dark or on my way to work I have a 40 mile drive 2 lane highway out in the country that’s full of deer..I was thinking the led upgrade but yet I don’t want to piss other drivers off but yet with a light bar I can turn it off and on just like my high beams the leds seem like a better thing but yea they have their drawbacks
i've been blinded so many time by high beams and yes, even a lightbar on the road, where the other driver probably had good intentions

and, honestly, i have forgotten my highbeams are on and have blinded other drivers too

·
Registered
2017 XV Limited. Replaced wimpy lighting with Diode Dynamics inside & out. E-trailer 2” hitch.
15 Posts
on a newer crosstrek sport is it better or easier to upgrade the headlights with bulbs like the Diode Dynamics SL1s or add like a lightbar or something else i do alot of early morning and late night driving with lots of deer just looking for something a little more or better thanks
Please note that our ‘17 Xtrek had a devil of a time with LEDs (we had Diode Dynamics). As the brights are also the daytime running lights, the stock halogens will dim, but the DD LEDs won’t — so we were less than popular during the daytime. As for the DDs as headlights, after having the lights on for exactly eight minutes in each night or rain journey, our TPMS light would come on in error mode then stay on. After replacement modules, sensors and five trips to the dealer, they were finally able to diagnose the problem as RFI affecting the TPMS system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts