Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a premium with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade. It definitely sounds better than the stock system, but could still be better. Has anyone taken the RF further? For example, replaced the back speakers or tweeters? Added a sub? Is there a sub that would work without a major equipment change?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I can only think of one person who got the RF upgrade for the 18'. Quite a number have the Limited HK and a whole other group, like me, have replaced all stock speakers and added a sub.

The "tweeters" are easy to replace; pop off the cover (careful on the passenger side as that's there the light sensor is) and remove the two screws. You'll have to cut the factory clip. The factory speakers are not actually tweeters; replace them with 2 way mids and you may or may not want 150/300/600 Hz bass cut-offs, depending on what the RF Flex41 is sending to the front speakers. If you put in actual tweeters, you'll probably find them way too bright and the dsp can't be tuned for actual tweeters because the front door and dash speakers are installed in parallel, on a L and R channel.

I have a DIY on the back door removal: http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...-door-panel-removal-speaker-installation.html

For the sub, tap the rear speaker wires behind the radio and either run high input to an amp or buy a line converter (LC2iB) to run a low input (RCA cable) to an amp. Here's a picture of an breakout harness available at: AutoHarnessHouse
The rear speakers are on the 6 pin connector.

6_pin.jpg

If you get the LC2iB, you can fully power it from behind the radio using the breakout harness set or by tapping the factory lines. The converter will auto-power on with input and provides an acc. power for an amp and, you can usually run the acc line beside an RCA cable with no issues.

You can put the amp under the drivers seat or in the cargo area (because the RF dsp/amp is under the passenger seat) and put the sub in back too. Or, you can run a powered sub (sub and amp in one) and put the whole unit in the cargo area.

If you get the LC2iB, it will fit behind the radio but it's a pain if you want to adjust the controls later. I have the much larger LC7iB back there but the smaller 2iB might fit better in the cargo area near the sub, under the drivers seat or even in cut out section of the foam around the spare tyre. Make sure you get a remote volume control for the sub. I mounted mine with Velcro tape just under the turn signal switch.

If you install something under the drivers seat, you'll probably want the duct extenders to keep the vent hot and cold air off the hardware (the same extenders that came with the RF kit); hot = overheat, cold = condensation and both = bad for electronics. You'll need 2, part # 72512AG000, list for $10.83 each.

On the other hand; The RF EcoPunch Flex41 amp/dsp is supposed to have an sub out. here's a pic I found of one online; not sure if its the current model in Suabru but I think it is.

flex41.jpg

Apparently, its puts out 120 watts to the sub but you'll have to find a clip and maybe source a remote because the HU will not control the sub independently. You also won't be able to adjust the sub's crossover freq on your own, unless the purpose of the remote is frequency and not volume.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

I have contacted Rockford Fosgate about the subwoofer option of the kit. They answered initially Subaru wanted to offer it but has not made a decision yet. They still wait for the ok from SoA. However I have also asked them if this option is already available even Subaru has not approved it. I will keep you informed.

I have tweeters from Hertz (German upgrade kit from Subaru) and the 6 x 9 Woofers from Rockford Fostgate. But instead using the Flex41 amp I am using a dsp amplifier where I can control the dsp. So I have aligned every speaker channel individually (frequency response, delay, subsonic frequency,...). As a result I have reached a very punchy and deep bass where I do not really miss a subwoofer. This is a lack of the Flex41 as it has a fixed dsp curve.

Regards

Thomas from Germany

·
Registered
110 Posts
The "tweeters" are easy to replace; pop off the cover (careful on the passenger side as that's there the light sensor is) and remove the two screws. You'll have to cut the factory clip.
By "the factor clip", do you mean the wires/connector? I was pretty surprised to find that there are no aftermarket harnesses for the tweeters. Somewhere on one of the many audio posts I've read over the last few months, I think someone said the previous generation Kicker tweeter upgrades are plug compatible with the 2018 but the screw patterns don't match so new screw holes would need to be drilled into the case of the Kicker tweeters.

I hate the way my 2018 Premium stock system sounds, so I've been thinking about the RF upgrade. I haven't heard the upgrade in person, and I'm sure I could get much more for the money elsewhere. But I'd really prefer something as stock and official as possible on such a new car.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Yes, the clip that plugs into the Flex41's amp output. Looks like its got 4 posts. No idea why or what each is. Figure that out and you could rig something.
flex41fropnt.jpg

Yup, Kicker made a specific model to plug and play with Subaru's door and dash. While the screw pattern may have changed (a pic of my oem dash speakers compared to the Kickers shows a difference), the wiring harness clip hasn't but then you're stuck with Kickers. Still an improvement but not for money you'll spend. I spent an extra $10 to order an set of wiring harness adapters (they plug into the door speaker wire harness on one end and the speaker posts on the other).

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_120728104/Metra-72-8104-Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html

For the dash, I just cut the door clips off the Metra harness, cut the clips off the factory dash harness, added the bass blockers and taped the pieces together. It took about 20 seconds. Don't try to use proper connectors for any new connections you make. There's very little working room and very little wire (length and thickness).

I honestly don't' know if the RF upgrade is worth it but it is better than stock. I backed out justifying that for about the same price I could get much better speakers all around and an amp . I went overboard with my Focal front components but I think I came out on top of whatever the dsp actually does. Now, if the headunit could control the dsp's output..... that might have been something to consider even if RF did "tune" it to the Impreza.

Of course, you could get the RF and replace the rear and dash speakers separately, if your still not happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc, Thanks for all the info. You obviously have some skills and knowledge that I think most of us don't. I appreciate you sharing it with us.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Wouldn’t say skills and knowledge. Experience would be fair but I’m also known to jump on the wrong set of tracks and go with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I added the Rockford upgrade after I bought my Crosstrek. I also added some Rockford Fosgate 3.5" in the dash and some 6.5" for the rear doors while adding peal and seal. The sound is better but I'd still like a bit more bass, but that's just me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I added the Rockford upgrade after I bought my Crosstrek. I also added some Rockford Fosgate 3.5" in the dash and some 6.5" for the rear doors while adding peal and seal. The sound is better but I'd still like a bit more bass, but that's just me.
Which RF 3.5" did you put in the dash? Did you have to cut the factory wires to install them?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i am in the midst of upgrading my speakers as well. over the weekend i installed jbls in the doors. i definitely want to install an amp. has anyone looked into any of these mini amplifiers? this one uses line in and coverts it to low level on its own. seems to eliminate having to utilize two components.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206PXA3004/Kicker-42PXA3004.html?tp=72998
it is a kicker 42pxa3004.
I used a Clarion xc2510, mainly because I bought it a month before the XV was released, didn’t know how big of an area I had for installation and I wanted a sub output. Overall I’m very happy with it even though there is some circuitry hiss that I probably wouldn’t notice except because the head unit is always powered, when there’s no audio signal, it bugs me and prevents me from turning up the gain.

That Kicker amp does not convert to low level on its own. It just has the abaility to accept high or low signals at the same input. Some people have used high inputs but be wary of introducing noise.

With these little amps were never going to have a powerhouse system and if you are considering addding a sub in the future, an independent 500+ watt sub amp is excessive. I suggest getting 5 channel amp that sends 300w @ 2ohms and has a remote volume control or the 5th channel. That makes dropping in a sub very easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Which RF 3.5" did you put in the dash? Did you have to cut the factory wires to install them?
The punch series 3.5 and yeah i cut the wires and added the spade connectors. I wouldn't recommend the punch one though as I had to modify the speaker grills due to the speakers sticking up too far. They sound good though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

as an addition to the RF-Front woofers (for and from SoA) and the dsp amp (not from RF) I have added the RF Punch P1650 speakers in the rear. They are a perfect addition to the original Subaru RF basic upgrade. You can use the speaker adapters Toyota Aygo from 2014 for mounting them.

Have a nice weekend!

Thomas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello,

as an addition to the RF-Front woofers (for and from SoA) and the dsp amp (not from RF) I have added the RF Punch P1650 speakers in the rear. They are a perfect addition to the original Subaru RF basic upgrade. You can use the speaker adapters Toyota Aygo from 2014 for mounting them.

Have a nice weekend!

Thomas
I went with the same rear speakers. As stated they sound great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

finally I have added an under seat subwoofer from Pioneer to keep the doors away from booming. By means I installed the TS-WX130DA under the driver's seat and pulled the wiring harness through the holes in the carpet to the passenger's seat. There is the initial add on wiring harness from the Subaru soundupgrade basic (German version). Here is already the dsp amp mounted, so I have an all in one wiring harness. The TS-WX130DA includes a dsp allowing two settings of "deep bass" and "dynamic bass". The former adds a subsonic and pushes the lower frequencies while the latter gains the mid frequencies like a kick bass. This is probably similar to the non dsp version TS-WX120A (analogue amplifier) and TS-WX130EA (digital amplifier). I have chosen 80 Hz as crossoverr frequency for both the subwoofer (lpw pass) as well as the dsp amplifier (high pass). I consider the sound as very clean and with very good and even deep base.

Have a nice Sunday.

Thomas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello folks,

as every year on Christmas I will realize a new project. I have bought the Kicker 180.4 dsp amplifier and will put it in my XV to replace the little Chinese dsp amp. I am really satisfied with my current amp, but the radio source is to silent compared to the other sources available (MEDIA, BT, CD, APPS). As the kicker is a little louder I will install it and give you my impressions later.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Thomas

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thomas, Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr.....Back at yah.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I am new here. I bought the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for my crosstrek 2021 after reading many positive evaluations. What got delivered is awfull !!!There is so much bass the eq needs to be all out for bass and still there is rumbling loud bass and mid and highs have to be boosted to try to balance it out. Went back to the dealer to be told that this is normal condition. I reached out to Subaru Canada customer care to be told that they don't deal with technical issues and to contact my dealer. I can't believe it. I hope someone at Subaru will read this and help out.
Gordon

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,694 Posts
Hi! I am new here. I bought the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for my crosstrek 2021 after reading many positive evaluations. What got delivered is awfull !!!There is so much bass the eq needs to be all out for bass and still there is rumbling loud bass and mid and highs have to be boosted to try to balance it out. Went back to the dealer to be told that this is normal condition. I reached out to Subaru Canada customer care to be told that they don't deal with technical issues and to contact my dealer. I can't believe it. I hope someone at Subaru will read this and help out.
Gordon
If you bought it from a Subaru dealer, give it back. Did you get dash, front and rear speakers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts