Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have reserved a 2020 crosstrek premium with no options (msrp $25555) for $23410 before tax/fees which is scheduled to be delivered at the end of the month. After some researches I think I should be able to get a better deal (at least 1k off invoice?). Is it possible to haggle with the dealer or cancel the order at this point? What is the reasonable price that I should ask for?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
2019 DGM Crosstrek, 2014 TOP XV Crosstrek, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Victory Red
164 Posts
You can try to haggle, but the 20s are just hitting the streets this month. If you don’t take it they’ll have no problem selling it to the next guy who walks in the door.

Jake

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
561 Posts
Did you put any money down on the car you reserved? Do you have any other Subaru dealers within a reasonable distance?

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,384 Posts
Read your paperwork, but legally you should be able to cancel the order. Renegotiating it at this point is a lot less likely ... and honestly, you didn't get all that bad a price, especially for an in-demand vehicle at the beginning of a new model year.

If you wanted to try for something better, my thought would be to go to another dealer and see what kind of offer you can get. If it's substantially better, go back to the first dealer and cancel, and when they ask why you can tell them about the competing offer. They might match it, and if they don't you'd still have another offer to fall back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the comments!

I did not put any money down. I gave the dealer my driver's license, got a confirmation email from Subaru America and that's it. Should have done more homework before making the decision. I'll ask other dealers to see what they can do.

Michael

·
Registered
312 Posts
Montanan is likely spot on. You've already gone pretty far to be back tracking now and that is a pretty solid price.

If you do cancel this is the method my entire family has used for years to get great prices on new vehicles.

First do a TON of research on the car to the point that you know EXACTLY which packages and features you want and just as importantly, EXACTLY which packages and features you do not want. This is very crucial when it comes to final negotiations so make sure you know what you want. We would then send a single group email to every dealership, salesmen, sales manager, etc within reasonable travel distance, that we can get contact info for. In this email we lay out exact what model with exactly what features you want and exactly which features you don't want/are not willing to pay for. EDIT: We also make it clear whether or not we are interested in an extended warranty (we never are). We explain that we know what we want and have no interest in being sold additional features. We say we will purchase from whomever offers the best price.

This by itself will get you a good price typically, but the golden goose is when someone can't differentiate between "reply" and "reply all" and you end up with a bidding war. This happens the majority of the time.

Best of luck on your car hunt!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
Accidental Double Post
That's it, you're banned for not following the forum rules! 😸

Seriously, do you recall what happened? It's happened to me a few times lately and I can't figure out what triggers it. It's also annoying that there's no way to delete a post here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's it, you're banned for not following the forum rules! 😸

Seriously, do you recall what happened? It's happened to me a few times lately and I can't figure out what triggers it. It's also annoying that there's no way to delete a post here.
😫 😫 😂

I can't be sure because I was half distracted so I could have done something wrong but I think it happened as I was editing my comment. It was almost like it treated my edit as a reply to myself, so I just delete the comment. The edit did work flawlessly on the second try the I'd say the former is more likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips! I wonder what deals are people getting for 2020 crosstrek and whether the differences worth the effort to go through the process again.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,384 Posts
Keep in mind that there are a lot of financial variables in a car purchase, and someone’s boast about the screaming deal they got may or may not include all of those variables. If someone is offered a price that’s well below invoice for a new Crosstrek, there’s a good chance the dealer is recouping that money elsewhere, through add-ins, extra fees, or a lowball trade-in offer.

Considering the new model year and how tight the dealer inventory of new Crosstreks usually is, I’d feel pretty good about the price you negotiated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not easy to find a car with no packages and options. There is less markup and room to play with one. I was able to get my premium (with options) for dealer cost less all promotional money given to dealer. Paid $24 and change for a premium with eyesight, no sunroof, a few other things. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2020 Crosstrek Premium, no extra options, CVT. Sale price was 22893, 23415 with dealer fees so you are definitely in a good price range. I’m very happy, it came in from the port before T-giving, picked it up Black Friday. Negotiations over the phone, pretty easy transaction when I picked it up. Good luck!

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
I just bought my 2020 Crosstrek Premium, no extra options, CVT. Sale price was 22893, 23415 with dealer fees so you are definitely in a good price range. I’m very happy, it came in from the port before T-giving, picked it up Black Friday. Negotiations over the phone, pretty easy transaction when I picked it up. Good luck!
That looks to be around $1,000 under dealer invoice, which really surprises me for a brand new MY that's only just hitting the lots, and it's not the end of the year yet.

Gotta love that 0% sales tax...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts