Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really had much to complain about mileage wise but last night I was surprised to see I was only getting 25.5 MPG. The first time I reset before that I was getting 21.8. I'm assuming the -17° (Windchill) played a part, but I usually get anywhere between 29-33 MPG going to and from work. I'm gonna use fuelly app again next fill up and monitor. Another possible cause could be getting a car wash earlier in the day. Maybe iced something up. I'm no mechanic so just grasping at straws lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As far as temperature is concerned, windchill only affects living stuff (e.g., you), not cars..... but if it's blowing that hard, it's likely wind resistance combined with the fact that colder air is more dense to begin with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't seem to get above 25 mpg when the temperature gets below 40. Days like today when it's 0 out its even worse. When spring comes my 2014 XV will be back to 29 mpg. At least gas is cheap right now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't recall if it was windy or not last night. And I was 20 miles into a 40 mile trip so operating temps should've been ideal. I do get what you mean about short trips. I'd also be curious as to check tire pressures when temps dip. I'm sure even though the sensor light never came on, that they were still lower than normal.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
General rule of thumb is 1 psi per 10 degree F. Tire pressure shouldn't have such noticeable difference to MPG. More likely electrical system (like heated seat?) to contribute to this drop than anything else. Also the on board MPG calculator can be inaccurate especially for short trips without a lot of data to average out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've also noticed variations with my XV. I tried high octane and a few different gas stations to see if there was a noticeable difference. There wasn't a noticeable difference in any octane or brand of gas. My last fill up was at a different gas station. My mileage went from 22.5 to 28.5 (currently). I also read on another thread here that a member suggested that staying below 60 mph showed a difference in mpg. I tried this as well on this last tank of gas, so I'm not sure yet what helped out so much. I usually travel on the main road around 65 - 75 mph. On this last tank I kept between 60 - 65. This XV is new to me (a used 2014) so I will keep on experimenting. My distance to work is about 40 miles with 60% highway (65 mph) and 40% windy roads. I live in very hilly country so I don't see much level roads here.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also noticed variations with my XV. I tried high octane and a few different gas stations to see if there was a noticeable difference. There wasn't a noticeable difference in any octane or brand of gas. My last fill up was at a different gas station. My mileage went from 22.5 to 28.5 (currently). I also read on another thread here that a member suggested that staying below 60 mph showed a difference in mpg. I tried this as well on this last tank of gas, so I'm not sure yet what helped out so much. I usually travel on the main road around 65 - 75 mph. On this last tank I kept between 60 - 65. This XV is new to me (a used 2014) so I will keep on experimenting. My distance to work is about 40 miles with 60% highway (65 mph) and 40% windy roads. I live in very hilly country so I don't see much level roads here.
I've definitely noticed a difference between 60 and 70 MPH. I'd rather get home quicker than save on gas so it is what it is. We have about the same distance commute.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've definitely noticed a difference between 60 and 70 MPH. I'd rather get home quicker than save on gas so it is what it is. We have about the same distance commute.
I usually do the same as you, fly low. Once I get this "economy mindset" out of the way, I'll be back on the hammer!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cold weather messes with mileage in so many ways.

a) the engine needs more time to warm up and hurts MPG until so.
b) the fluids in the transmission and diffs need more time to warm up and hurts MPG until so.
c) lower than usual tire pressures as already mentioned
d) winter gas by itself returns worse MPG

The only upside is that dense cold air results in more horsepower available, but if that extra power is used, that also hurts fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cold weather messes with mileage in so many ways.

a) the engine needs more time to warm up and hurts MPG until so.
b) the fluids in the transmission and diffs need more time to warm up and hurts MPG until so.
c) lower than usual tire pressures as already mentioned
d) winter gas by itself returns worse MPG

The only upside is that dense cold air results in more horsepower available, but if that extra power is used, that also hurts fuel efficiency.
all of these are true, however with regard to item "a" anytime spent with the engine at idle to warm up will hurt your mpg's more than just taking off and driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Car sitting at idle warming up is really bad. I've seen my MPG drop by 4 MPG warming it up for 15 minutes.
Typically only warm it up for less than 5 minutes, unless it's -20F out like last week.
I usually get 34 mid summer, now I'm getting 28. (mostly county roads & no stops, 45-65 MPH)
MPG really go down when pushing any slush/snow, like out on lake ice fishing & having fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Car sitting at idle warming up is really bad. I've seen my MPG drop by 4 MPG warming it up for 15 minutes.
Typically only warm it up for less than 5 minutes, unless it's -20F out like last week.
I usually get 34 mid summer, now I'm getting 28. (mostly county roads & no stops, 45-65 MPH)
MPG really go down when pushing any slush/snow, like out on lake ice fishing & having fun.
exactly. i have also noticed a decrease in mileage from just rain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speed has a pretty big effect on mpg as wind resistance increases exponentially with speed.

Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed
"According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph"

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
What the heck?! I drive very light and typically get 23-24mpg. Never hit 28 and I have 23k miles :-( Maybe timing chain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Driving style and environment have mostly everything to do with your mpg. To ensure that it's only those two items affecting your mpg, check your tire pressures and alignment. Timing chain has nothing to do with your mpg since everyone else has a timing chain. See my Fuelly link below for my ex '14 XV mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Xubaru, would the really high winds I'm getting now be what's caused my mpg to decline massively? 80km winds make the car 28% less fuel efficient? Winds are gusting to over 100km per hour I think they said it's averaging 85km. Where I'd normally use 1/4 of a tank I've used almost half a tank. Nearly double. I was worried something was wrong with the car. Have checked tyre pressures, was going to get Subaru to check it but if the wind is the likely cause I'll wait it out. I've even been driving extra cautiously so it's not like I suddenly became a NASCAR driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you're driving into a wind like that, yes. Your car would basically be trying to go (speed + wind speed)km/hour, additionally you'd only be covering the real km's you've traveled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts