Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sources of roadside assistance already, and though I know Starlink offers further services, I'm not sure I want to pay the cost. They've been sending me reminders to renew, needless to say.

What I want to know is what happens to the dashboard screen if I do not renew. Does it go completely blank? Will I still be able to navigate the radio and CD player, and will I still be able to initiate phone calls from the screen? Those are mostly what I find the screen handy for - but I don't know if Crosstrek provides them or will only provide them with Starlink.

Please help if you can, and thanks....

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
Yep, you'll still be able to do all those things! The core functions of the radio head unit aren't tied to Starlink -- that includes all the media stuff as well as Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. The subscription part of the service is for the added safety and convince features, like remote start, stolen vehicle recovery, and so on.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you'll still be able to do all those things! The core functions of the radio head unit aren't tied to Starlink -- that includes all the media stuff as well as Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. The subscription part of the service is for the added safety and convince features, like remote start, stolen vehicle recovery, and so on.

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply, Montanan! For now I will not renew, and see if I even I miss it. I did appreciate the 2 years free I was given, but I'm not sure how often I actually used Starlink, practically speaking. I prefer to keep things simple.

·
Premium Member
2022 Cool Grey Khaki Crosstrek Limited
89 Posts
Being able to start my Crosstrek and set the temp is worth it for me I definitely will renew when my 3 year trial ends

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
225 Posts
Mine was up in my Impreza but since it's a manual it's of limited value and I'm letting it lapse. I could see if it were a CVT (automatic) but there is no remote start for a stick shift, which is really the only thing I'd be interested in myself.

Remote start sounds silly but TBH I had it installed in another car (aftermarket) and the ability to have the car warmed up or cooled down is pretty nice.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
I figured I’d be using remote start quite a bit in the winter to warm the car up, but I mostly find it useful to keep the car cool when I’m out running errands with the dogs in the summer. I’m glad I have it, but most of the other stuff in the Starlink package is pretty unnecessary, so I don’t know if I’ll keep the subscription up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did just renew Starlink on my 2019 for other reasons than per-heating or cooling. I’ve used it to lock and unlock the doors when the weather deteriorated while shopping so I just roll up my shopping cart and unload without fumbling for the key fob.

Also recently I used it to get the mileage and Vin number when at a service center. When your away from your XV (like out of state) I monitored location and mileage driven when it is supposed to be parked. Like when my X-girlfriend decided to use my XV and drove over 300 miles one day without letting me know.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did just renew Starlink on my 2019 for other reasons than per-heating or cooling. I’ve used it to lock and unlock the doors when the weather deteriorated while shopping so I just roll up my shopping cart and unload without fumbling for the key fob.

Also recently I used it to get the mileage and Vin number when at a service center. When your away from your XV (like out of state) I monitored location and mileage driven when it is supposed to be parked. Like when my X-girlfriend decided to use my XV and drove over 300 miles one day without letting me know.
You need better GF more than Starlink

1 - 15 of 15 Posts