Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 5MT with 63,000 miles. I'm also an Uber driver so I need my car for work.

Just a few hours ago I went to a friends place, my transmission and car felt just fine and normal and I parked the car. I went to go leave an hour later and when I went
To go put the car into reverse it refused to slide into gear so I thought maybe it was in a bad spot so I let the car move down the hill a little in neutral and tried again. This time
The gear got stuck and locked up all four wheels. When I let off the clutched it stalled and even pressing in the clutch (on a hill) the car would not move like all four wheels were
locked up. I finally got it out of gear by feathering the clutching and pulling on it and all the gear placements feel like they are in the wrong physical spot. I tried putting it in neutral
and it was not neutral it simply stalled like it was catching a gear but the car did not move at all. Then I placed it in reverse and the car moves forward like its in first gear but makes
horrible noises so I stopped doing anything thinking I might make it worse.

At this point I have had it towed to my house but I don't know what could be the issue. I know I'm going to have to take it to a shop but I would like to have an idea of what
caused this and what is broken in the transmission. I know a decent amount about cars but have never worked on transmissions. What do you guys think would cause this problem?

This is not the first time this transmission has had problems. First time was at 47,000 miles the first gear synchronize completely failed and I had to drive home from new york city to pittsburgh
with no first gear. Subaru fixed this under warranty. After they did this they failed and did not bolt it in fully and in the next 100 miles I heard the transmission shifting anytime
I applied power to it. They took it back in and fixed it a 2nd time. Then again at 57,000 miles it started grinding going into 3rd gear almost always unless I rev matched it on shifts
so they again for the 3rd time took it in and fixed it. Now it has broken again today at 63,000 miles. I've never had such issues with a car before my last one was a honda with 230,000 miles on it
and I never had transmission problems it was also a 5 speed manual. I've never owned an automatic. I absolutely love the car but I wish I had bought the automatic.

How much do you think this is going to cost to fix roughly I only have $300 and I've been almost homeless a lot recently I'm barely making it and now this... Sorry just a bad day.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't know what is wrong with your transmission and will let others answer that but as another 5MT owner, that's really unusual and the frequency of these repairs suggests that the shop is doing a bad job - they obviously screwed up the first time. Almost sounds like a bad warranty repair done improperly several times - might be time to contact Subaru directly.
Hope they don't give you any hassles about repairing it.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Man, what a crap sandwich, I am sorry this is all happening to you. It seems like the problem is the trans, not the differentials or transfer mechanism. I don't have intimate knowledge of how manuals work as I am not a mechanic, but it feels like your shifter linkage, forks, etc may be broken. As in, you're able to move the stick but not actually manipulating the gears.

Now, I am not going to speculate as to why your first gear synchro went out initially, but from the sounds of it, it was not repaired by a competent tech the first time, and likely even the second time. Since it sounds like you are just out of warranty, you have several options here. Your best bet is to try to blame it on a shoddy repair, although you may be out of the warranty period of that by now. Your most likely successful option is to go to the Subaru dealer, explain the problem and ask them very politely that this gets covered by warranty at least in part. You are just out of the warranty period and you have had multiple transmission repairs in the past under warranty. Because otherwise it sounds like this repair is pretty significant and in no way will be covered by $300. I do think you will have some luck with Subaru helping you out here though. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get back on your feet.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Definitely contact Subaru of America. They can point you in the right direction. Also brush up on your local lemon laws, as that may, at the very least, provide you with some bargaining power to have your repairs covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,434 Posts
Yeah, if you had warranty service performed on the transmission at 47,000 and 57,000 miles, you've got an extremely strong case that either the warranty repairs were performed incorrectly, or the issue was inadequately diagnosed. Very first thing to do here is contact Subaru of America to open a case file with them. Get all the documentation of your prior repairs together, be polite but firm, and I think you should get a positive response from them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Yeah, if you had warranty service performed on the transmission at 47,000 and 57,000 miles, you've got an extremely strong case that either the warranty repairs were performed incorrectly, or the issue was inadequately diagnosed. Very first thing to do here is contact Subaru of America to open a case file with them. Get all the documentation of your prior repairs together, be polite but firm, and I think you should get a positive response from them. Good luck.
What he said `Polite but FIRM with SOA`you do indeed have a case Prior Shoddy repairs, we drive a 2015 5 mt,no issues with it, prev Legacy wagon also 5 MT, throw out brg at 67,000 km grinding bearing( engine was out being replaced with a short block) all I had to pay for at the time was the price of the t/o brg rest on Warranty.

Please let us know what SOA says and is prepared to do for you

Best

Troutbum

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree with everyone else who recommends contacting Subaru of America directly and opening a case file with them. I had a lot of chronic issues with the engine in my 2012 Impreza and even when my dealer wanted to write me off, SOA stepped in and took care of me. They treated me so well, I decided to give Subaru another chance and purchased a Crosstrek even when other's told me I was nuts to consider another Subaru after all the problems with my first.

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope everything works out and you get it repaired once and for all without having to fork out any cash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be contacting subaru of america tomorrow does anyone have the number? I'll keep this thread updated as to what is going on. I appreciate all the help you have all given!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That was a common problem. It would also rip up the input shaft snout. There were modified throw out bearing sleeves offered in later years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I would update everyone to what has happened as I said I would. Apparently what I was told was that the first, 3rd, and reverse gears locked up together somehow and needed replaced. A rod in the transmission broke and needed replaced and the forks also needed down.

The good news is that they covered it at 63,000 miles because they had worked on the forks before and the work was still under warrentee. The bad news is that I drove 10 miles and noticed the transmission making clicking noises like gears grinding slightly every time I idled towards a stop and on the highway it made a winding noise like it was in reverse.

I feel offended that it has been worked on so many times this will be the 5th time and every time has been linkable to past transmission work mistakes. I ended up turning around and driving it back to the dealership 30mins later so now its getting checked out again. I've lost over 1000$ in pay at this point because I can't use a rent a car for Uber and that is my only job. Is there anyway to get a person when contacting subaru of america I can't seem too.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I think it's time to have a conversation with the general manager of your dealership regarding a new transmission. And they should give you a loaner since warranty is covering it.

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,434 Posts
I would be cautious about mentioning the lost income side of this when you talk to Subaru, since pretty much all new car warranties include language stating that the warranty does not cover commercial use of the vehicle. I don't know how Uber fits into that scenario, but if you're driving Uber full time it might be safest not push that point when discussing a warranty claim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd have definitely had them replace the entire trans with another unit if it was still warrantied. What eventually happened? Mine did this same issue @ 105-107K miles. Regrettably the extended warranty on the Certified purchase had run out @ 100K.
- So it was the ends of the 3/4 shift fork that wore down and let it ride on top of the shift collar. <$50 part. I did the work myself (big job- even with help) and it's back on the road with a new throw out bearing as well.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
We're being told to stay at home to avoid transmission... 😸

1 - 18 of 18 Posts