Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

141 - 160 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
594 Posts
Hi guys, I test drove the car today with the field engineer explaining the issue with the car, he told me that he was excited to find out what the issue actually is. He never heard of this sound before so he is curious as to what it could be. I was lucky because he had time to actually wait for the car to hit the temps required to replicate the sound, once we hit the temps we needed, I went back to the dealership so he can grab his computer and start collecting the data stream from the car. We spent over an hour driving the car just to be sure he got what he needed. He said he's going to ask the dealership to do a carbon clean on the car but he will use the data he gathered from the road test plus the videos I have and send it back to Japan for them to take a look and see what it could be. Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this. I'll keep everyone posted when I hear back with updates.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quick update - the car is ready for pick up. They ran a carbon clean in the vehicle which was recommended by the engineer. They want me to drive it to see if the sound has stopped. If comes back, I have to contact the service manager so he can contact the engineer and ask Japan for more information. I'm currently on the phone with Subaru Canada to speak with the rep about this. I will keep putting on the pressure until I get a permanent fix. I'll give another update after I drive the car.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Follow-up from my previous posting, the fuel induction cleaner DID NOT WORK... I'll be calling the service manager on Monday and Subaru Canada because they need Japan's help to find out what the issue is. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to provide a small update on my situation, the service manager called me this morning saying they've ordered an EGR valve to replace. However, I won't be able to bring the car in until the new year for them to replace it. I'll update the thread again once I get the part replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to provide a small update on my situation, the service manager called me this morning saying they've ordered an EGR valve to replace. However, I won't be able to bring the car in until the new year for them to replace it. I'll update the thread again once I get the part replaced.
Hi, my car 2018 until now 52,000km. They have yet to solve that noise too. It very obvious in 1st gear going up slope.
They did decarbon de engine. And aks me observe for 1,000km.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi, my car 2018 until now 52,000km. They have yet to solve that noise too. It very obvious in 1st gear going up slope.
They did decarbon de engine. And aks me observe for 1,000km.
Sounds good. Keep us posted if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would be stoked to hear back on how this goes, heard a couple story online where an EGR valve ends up being the fix

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to provide another update regarding my situation, yesterday I had an appointment at my dealership to have the EGR valve replaced. I drove the car last night for about an hour and a half, I was able to get the engine oil temperature to 100 degrees C (212 F) on the highway on my way home from my adventure, throughout the trip home the engine oil temperature stayed in the mid to high 90s then dropped to around 92-94 after I got off at my exit. I tried to replicate the sound and I wasn't able to do it. So it seems like, after all this trouble, it was my EGR causing the problem.

So after five months back and forth with the dealership and getting Subaru Canada involved to help the dealership, they finally listened to me (or Subaru Canada/the engineers from Japan) and went ahead with the EGR valve replacement. For anyone who is experiencing the same issue, please DO NOT back down and continue working with your dealership and Subaru Canada or SOA regarding your issue. Make sure you keep on pressing them to do something and fix the problem. My car is less than a year old and the dealership said it was "uncommon" or your vehicle is "too new" to have an EGR issue. Please, don't take any of their excuses and try to find a solution to your problem because this is NOT normal.

Since the EGR replacement, the car runs better, it "feels" like it has more power, I don't hear that "pinging" sound, and it doesn't sound like a TDI when the engine is cold, LOL!

As you may be aware, certain people on this thread have had different solutions to their problem; some replaced the EGR, some replaced transmission, and some replaced both engine and transmission... Now my question is why did my EGR fail prematurely? What caused the problem? Was it a manufacturing defect? Are there certain cars being built with a bad EGR valve and only time will tell until they fail?

I believe Subaru should look into this and release a service bulletin in case a few cars may have a malfunctioning EGR valve. I believe the amount of cars that have this issue is quite small so maybe it's not on their radar in terms of a severe issue. Personally, I think Subaru should investigate a figure out the problem as to why this part is failing and remedy it with a solution.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I forgot to mention one more thing, the new EGR valve looks different compared to the old one I had prior to replacement. I'm not too sure if there is a design update but it looks a little bit different.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Arthur, OP and others contributing to this thread. Add me to the list of having this issue. To me it sounds more like a rhythmic back and forth tapping vs. marbles in the engine, leading me to believe it may not be pre ignition. However with all the similar issues and diagnoses here, it probably is pre ignition from either carbon deposit or a faulty EGR. Seems easiest to try and eliminate by replacing the EGR, so I'll go that route and report back.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If anyone is out of warranty or wants to fix the problem themselves. Here are the part numbers according to my invoice:

14035AA690 - Gasket intake manifold - Quantity: 4
14710AA830 - EGR valve (Pipe is also included) - Quantity: 1
14738AA130 - Gasket EGR pipe - Quantity: 1

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick at to this post. I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L w/4400 miles and am having pinging issues. Consistently pings under light acceleration and between 1000 to 1500 rpm under a load. Dealership drove car, duplicated and ran scan, no codes, etc.. Said knock sensor was working along with all other checks. Said there was nothing they could do. Changed octane and fuel brands with no change. Contacted SOA and hopefully will hear something next week.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just a quick at to this post. I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L w/4400 miles and am having pinging issues. Consistently pings under light acceleration and between 1000 to 1500 rpm under a load. Dealership drove car, duplicated and ran scan, no codes, etc.. Said knock sensor was working along with all other checks. Said there was nothing they could do. Changed octane and fuel brands with no change. Contacted SOA and hopefully will hear something next week.
I’m shocked that a 2021 would have this type of issue, I thought Subaru would’ve shorted out the bugs for 2021.

Tell SOA about my situation with Subaru Canada and see if they’ll go through with an EGR replacement. I’ve posted videos links in the thread if you want to send it to them. Keep us posted, sorry to hear that your car is having trouble with very low mileage.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
92 Posts
Hey guys sorry for delay ive been going back and forth with subaru dealer and SOA. As I thought, the replacement brake pump didnt do anything at all. Now theyve pretty much agreed that its a pinging issue but all they've done is offer a 500 dollar gas card to make up for the difference in price to use 91 octane. I dont think thats something i want to take, seems like a band-aid solution to a defect in my engine. All i can think to do now is to go the legal route and file a claim and use all of the audio/video, emails, and service records to my advantage.
Yes, the engine makes a light pinging in situations described by OP. You can hear it with no radio/music playing. Gas brand does not matter at all. Even when you use 93 octane - it is still pinging time to time. I do not think the issue is ignition timing though - it is a result of slightly overloading the engine in small torque situations. You can downshift with "-" or push it a bit harder so it will start to accelerate a little, or switch to "S" mode (it seems to return to "I" mode after engine re-start)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, the engine makes a light pinging in situations described by OP. You can hear it with no music playing. Even when you use 93 octane it is still pinging time to time. I do not think the issue is ignition timing though - it is a result of slightly overloading the engine in small torque situations. You can downshift or push it a bit harder so it will start to accelerate a little, or switch to "S" mode.
I think you might’ve replied by accident...

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
92 Posts
I think you might’ve replied by accident...
So it was not timing, but lean gas mixture thanks to faulty EGR valve. No mistake, but I did not read a whole lot of the posts thread (8 pages). Taking mine to dealer with all the relevant info for EGR change. Hopefully, they not going to waste weeks on this simple issue to fix with provided info. Thanks for posting the resolution.

·
Registered
594 Posts
So it was not timing, but lean gas mixture thanks to faulty EGR valve. No mistake, but I did not read a whole lot of the posts thread (8 pages). Taking mine to dealer with all the relevant info for EGR change. Hopefully, they not going to waste weeks on this simple issue to fix with provided info. Thanks for posting the resolution.
Let us know once you figure out the issue. Hopefully, they dont give you the run around. Sucks that a 2021 is having this issue.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
92 Posts
I had scheduled the drop off for today, but after I setup stethoscope remote probe on engine block - I could not reproduce issue - there is no knocks during 60 miles of driving, but those were highway miles. I did drive for a while with "S" mode enabled though recently. There was no knocking in "S" mode at all as it is keeping engine on higher power band (rpm). I cancelled the drop off, as it would be just a waste of time. I will keep monitoring engine with probe on local roads driving in those specific situations. I could always record the knocking on my phone for dealer to hear.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had scheduled the drop off for today, but after I setup stethoscope remote probe on engine block - I could not reproduce issue - there is no knocks during 60 miles of driving, but those were highway miles. I did drive for a while with "S" mode enabled though recently. There was no knocking in "S" mode at all as it is keeping engine on higher power band (rpm). I cancelled the drop off, as it would be just a waste of time. I will keep monitoring engine with probe on local roads driving in those specific situations. I could always record the knocking on my phone for dealer to hear.
You need to to allow the oil temp to to reach around 194 or higher in order to reproduce the sound, have the engine rpm in the lowest position (1,000 RPMS), and need to giving about 5-14% throttle input.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
92 Posts
You need to to allow the oil temp to to reach around 194 or higher in order to reproduce the sound, have the engine rpm in the lowest position (1,000 RPMS), and need to giving about 5-14% throttle input.
That is what I tried later on the usual spots it was present. Not easy to reproduce. I am going to test LSPI theory, as my oil change is only 200 miles away. Will use SN Plus certified oil (Valvoline 0w20) to see it makes any difference. I only used Subaru OEM 0w20 oil (SN rated) so far and it is not SN Plus certified though.

141 - 160 of 257 Posts