Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey XVforum, I just got my first subaru a few months ago and I've been experiencing a sound coming from the engine that I can't explain. It sounds like a tapping or fluttering, which i think is metal on metal. it happens when the car is on a hill at a low speed, while maintaining speed, pretty much whenever the accelerator is being lightly pressed around 5-10%. its occured since i got the car new and after i got an oil change today at 4500. It also happens when the engine is hot or cold and only when driving and not parked.

I took the car to get checked out by the service department at my local dealer and had the foreman come drive around the block with me to hear the sound himself, he heard it and wrote in the notes about the sound but when i left the car to get examined they couldn't replicate the issue and said it might be a rock stuck somewhere or the brakes and it'll sort itself out. it cant be either of those things because the sound happens on acceleration and im sure they half assed the inspection.

This is a video of the sound coming from the engine.

Again, im a new subaru crosstrek owner and this might be something that a lot of them experience but from other videos i've seen online it sounds very similar to problems with timing belt tensioner, i have no idea though. any help is appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Sorry you are having some form of noise with your Cross trek :shocked:

But from the Audio clip you posted.... No Noise heard by this guy, my thoughts are if YOU Can hear it inside the Car, it SHOULD be
even more Obvious under the Hood ????

Good luck, Keep On the Dealer, They do have listening devices to attach to parts of the car (in case it is a Metal on metal contact
Issue) but unfortunately like all warranty repairs if they Don't Hear it, Or See it, Warranty Will Not pay them for more than Appr
15 mins worth of their time.

Please Keep us posted, on Problem/Fix

Troutbum

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I heard the noise in the video and have a couple of guesses but without seeing/hearing in person, I can’t really say anything.

Try to get a better recording, to replacate under other conditions and like troutbum says, stay on the dealer.

I’m on my first Subaru as well, it’s been a learning experience.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
Years ago, I bought a new Jaguar and had wire wheels installed (by then, they weren't an option from Jag any more). At low speed I could hear a ticking noise from the rear at low speed. The dealer kept blaming the wheels until, after several visits, they agreed to put stock wheels back on and go for a test drive. It turned out to be a faulty diff that they replaced. You have to keep on them... especially if they have observed it and not given you an adequate explanation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Youre right, the video clip is mostly road noise with a little engine clicking mixed in and hard to tell. Im not opposed to getting a recorder of sometype to record the sound and take to a dealer from there. its easy for me to replicate. Thanks you guys that replied, ill come back with my findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello! ive continued to follow up with subaru dealers about this issue. Ive gone twice more to my local dealer to have them test drive it to see about the sound. one time they told me it sounds like pinging so i put two full tanks of 91 octane gas at chevron and that cleared it up but when i went back to 87 chevron it came right back.
when i went in for another test drive they said they couldnt replicate the issue but that was because it was raining and hard to hear with the rain hitting the hood too. I decided to make a video with the microphone right up on the engine. please listen to see what you think...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13OLaMbM0S0l6xUTM-ClxrWenE2V5-GCQ/view?usp=sharing

after sending this video to corporate and the dealer theyve been ignoring me for a week and i havent been able to get any answers until today, they want to replace the Brake Pump. After watching the video, does that sound like a Brake pump issue???

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Not surprised it took a week. They must have had several hoops to go through. Sorry, I don’t know the answer but what a great video, that’s how we should all record issues.

·
Not a Canadian
2,555 Posts
That totally sounds like pre-ignition noise (knocking)!!! Do these engines have "knock sensors"?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,721 Posts
To me, it sounds like some kind of rattle under the hood and is induced or more pronounced at certain frequencies. I would do a good check under there to see if everything is tight. Should remove the air filter box to check, as the rattle sound seemed to coincide with engine decelerating. Maybe a wrench or screw got dropped in there somewhere during the build, and is rattling around.

Don't know,... just some ideas of some things to check. I don't think it is pinging because that would be more pronounced with the engine under load as when accelerating. Good luck, and let us know what is found or the outcome.

·
Not a Canadian
2,555 Posts
In my past cars with pinging, occurrence coincided with initial throttle depression during driving as did Bill's. His ECU isn't getting an input from <wherever> that affects spark advance. His noise has quite a bit more robust character than loose hardware. He stated "i put two full tanks of 91 octane gas at chevron and that cleared it up but when i went back to 87 chevron it came right back." He has a spark timing issue. FINAL ANSWER!

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,721 Posts
after sending this video to corporate and the dealer theyve been ignoring me for a week and i havent been able to get any answers until today, they want to replace the Brake Pump. After watching the video, does that sound like a Brake pump issue???
And yeah, would let them replace the brake pump, although have no idea if that could be the problem. But since under warranty, it is their buck not yours.

And to Okie: Yes, I noted the octane thing, and agree that does point to timing. But from my listening, the sound didn't coincide with when I would expect pinging to occur. Of course, I could be completely wrong..., final answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys sorry for delay ive been going back and forth with subaru dealer and SOA. As I thought, the replacement brake pump didnt do anything at all. Now theyve pretty much agreed that its a pinging issue but all they've done is offer a 500 dollar gas card to make up for the difference in price to use 91 octane. I dont think thats something i want to take, seems like a band-aid solution to a defect in my engine. All i can think to do now is to go the legal route and file a claim and use all of the audio/video, emails, and service records to my advantage.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sorry to hear you got one of the rare just out of spec engines. It happens to all manufacturers. I don’t think a legal route will be beneficial for a one off but I’m not an expert. I’d take the gas card, not as a point resolution but as a supplement until a solution can be found. Will a solution be found? Probably not but at least you’ll have $500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to think that im entitled to have a new car that is in within spec for the amount of money im spending. its not like im asking a mom and pop store to shell it out. subaru has a pretty clear message in its warranty manual... IMG_1497.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey guys sorry for delay ive been going back and forth with subaru dealer and SOA. As I thought, the replacement brake pump didnt do anything at all. Now theyve pretty much agreed that its a pinging issue but all they've done is offer a 500 dollar gas card to make up for the difference in price to use 91 octane. I dont think thats something i want to take, seems like a band-aid solution to a defect in my engine. All i can think to do now is to go the legal route and file a claim and use all of the audio/video, emails, and service records to my advantage.
You need to give them an ultimatum.Either they fix it and fix it right which will likely be a new engine.If they can't/won't fix it right then give you a new car.If they refuse then tell them you will take them to court for selling you a product that doesn't perform as advertised AKA false advertising and see if that changes their mind.There's no reason you should be forced to pay more for premium fuel when the manual clearly states that you should use regular.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you able to get the issue resolved? I have the same sound going on in mine. I believe it is a timing issue. It started on mine with about 5k miles on it. After the dealer changed the oil it was improved but now at 11k miles its coming back at different rpm ranges. When I asked the dealer about it they said they didn't hear anything. It was happening much more frequently before I took it in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having the exact same noise on mine as well. Seems worse in hot weather and happens during light acceleration. Will be bringing it up with dealer the new oil change.

·
Registered
560 Posts
12.5 : 1 compression engine is different animal though, if that did not happen when the car was brand new, then the issue probably is carbon deposit. If that happen since new then it may manufacturing defect or gas compatibility issue, so perhaps change different brand to reduce it. Try Redline SI-1 if that remove the sound for 5k, if it is then most likely gas issue.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts