Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my 13th new car ive purchased in my life [57yo] and this 2019 cross blk matalic is by far the WORST paint i have ever seen,,ive had blk's--red's and a go green challenger,, i have worked in the paint shop at a kenworth truck factory
for 27 years and i can say i KNOW paint,, i have used the utmost care and products to prevernt scratches/swirls on this subi but it seems nothing seems to work,,EVRERYTHING you use seems to swirl or scratch it
this leads me to believe that the clear coat they used is very sub standard to most other auto makers !! it only has 3700 miles on it and looks like it has 370000 miles on it,,none of the others ive had ever looked or swirled
like this one,,,hell you can run your finger nail across it with no pressure and produce a very nice scratch !! this is not the characteristics of any clear coat i have ever dealt with..clear is on there to protect base coat [color]
so every one this so called buffing to remove them are also removing the clear coat a little at a time will eventually dull out the whole car,,, i guess im pretty much screwed as far as keeping it looking like glass like i did
my other 12 !!!

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,907 Posts
Subaru has always had substandard paint, and has always seemed to be like that (The Crosstrek is my 3rd Subaru since 2007).

I had clear bra installed on my whole front end (and then some) knowing that I was going to be taking this car off-road quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I guess it depends on your perspective on what constitutes bad paint and unacceptable damage. I've never expected any of my cars to look showroom perfect after I bring them home. I've never paid attention to swirl marks or anything like that. As long as it doesn't rust, I've never given it a second thought.

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the paint. Black is the worst for swirl marks. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Forget swirl marks...I’ve had to have half of my 2019 Sunshine Orange Crosstrek repainted due to paint chipping.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,378 Posts
Forget swirl marks...I’ve had to have half of my 2019 Sunshine Orange Crosstrek repainted due to paint chipping.
Wasn't there a TSB on that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, only for Sunshine Orange though. I had it done on Subaru’s dime. A Google search of ‘Subaru paint chips’ shows it may be a bigger issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my gf has a 2019 orange cross,,the main reason i bought one was after driving hers to work a few times,,10x better than my 2017 challenger gt awd,,yes i did trade it for cross,,, theres + and - of both
but in the end subi won,,anyways ive kept a eye out on hers for chips/peeling maybe,,so far just a few common rock chips,,the thing i did notice was it doesnt have the sheen/reflection properties
of the black but that can be expected,orange vs blk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Clear is very soft and thin in places I have found, I clay/waxed mine as soon as I had decent weather with 1k miles and still found some lil scratches from just rocks and road debris.
A wrap or ceramic coating may help but for a sub 30k car I find it hard to justify since those are 1-2K for a good one. Myself I will just undercoat every year for rust protection and use chip guard on the areas that get abused after a year or two.

·
Registered
144 Posts
my gf has a 2019 orange cross,,the main reason i bought one was after driving hers to work a few times,,10x better than my 2017 challenger gt awd,,yes i did trade it for cross,,, theres + and - of both
but in the end subi won,,anyways ive kept a eye out on hers for chips/peeling maybe,,so far just a few common rock chips,,the thing i did notice was it doesnt have the sheen/reflection properties
of the black but that can be expected,orange vs blk
The chipping issue with the orange paint looks like regular stone chips. I knew something was up because I got the first one only a few weeks in, and had about 10 within the first 6 months. Based on my driving habits and never having that many chips on my other cars, I knew something was up. I was going to touch them up when someone (think it was Doca) posted the TSB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grey khaki here, But I was surprised and really frustrated when our cat caused some dents (yes dents not scratches) and deep scuffs on the left side of the hood every time she jumped off a 2.5 metres tree branch, I used 3M Liquid Wax which reduced the scuffs but didn’t eliminated it. Will try some PDR to fix the dents though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Crosstrek in Sunshine Orange with 15k miles. The hood has about 7 chips in the paint - right down to (what looks like) the galvanizing coat. Chips about 1/16" in diameter. I have two other cars with over 100k miles on them (both Toyotas) and neither has chips like this. The paint also shows tiny scratches and swirls that my other cars never had. VERY disappointed in the durability of the Subaru paint. I need to look into the TSB people are talking about.

FYI, the very expensive touch-up paint from the dealer is terrible to use. Paid about $23 for it. The tube does have a handy little sanding tip to blend out the chip before painting, but everything else about it is terrible. Besides the sanding tip, the tube also has a touch-up pen, brush, and clear coat brush built in. You just have to decipher which part of the tube to unscrew to get the right one. All three are coarse and impossible to control the application. I ended up just using a toothpick. The first time I opened the end with the clear coat the clear coat ran out and over the side of the tube, like it was pressurized. Lucky I didn't open it over the car. The touch-up tube is a real fail Subaru!! Just give us a tiny jar of paint, for a third the cost, and we'll take it from there.

Besides all this - I love the solid feel of the car, amazing footing in the snow, and great gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
FYI, the very expensive touch-up paint from the dealer is terrible to use. Paid about $23 for it. The tube does have a handy little sanding tip to blend out the chip before painting, but everything else about it is terrible. Besides the sanding tip, the tube also has a touch-up pen, brush, and clear coat brush built in. You just have to decipher which part of the tube to unscrew to get the right one. All three are coarse and impossible to control the application. I ended up just using a toothpick. The first time I opened the end with the clear coat the clear coat ran out and over the side of the tube, like it was pressurized. Lucky I didn't open it over the car. The touch-up tube is a real fail Subaru!! Just give us a tiny jar of paint, for a third the cost, and we'll take it from there.
I agree 100%. It's a very cumbersome product.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wonder why only Sunshine Orange? Hopefully Subaru has corrected the problem since issuing the TSB (our Crosstrek has a production date of 3/19).

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Every car forum I have ever been on there are always some complaints that vehicle X has the worst paint. After being around many subarus I find the paint no better or worse than other brands. I will say, I think Toyota vehicles have good paint.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Every car forum I have ever been on there are always some complaints that vehicle X has the worst paint. After being around many subarus I find the paint no better or worse than other brands. I will say, I think Toyota vehicles have good paint.
Well, the paint isn’t from the car brands; I believe they’re all basically from PPG, DuPont, and perhaps another company. And based on the TSB, Subaru is acknowledging there is an issue with this particular paint.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually just had my hood repainted on my 2018 Sunshine Orange 'Trek. I had some stone chips, but also had some strange ulcers on the paint where it just bubbled from underneath until the gray showed. I had the TSB in hand (my dealer never heard of it at that point) and after about 4 weeks and two trips to the dealer to have them look at it and get pictures, SOA agreed to paint the hood as a form of "goodwill", even wrote that on the work order. So technically not chips, but certainly an issue none the less.
Also, they will not cover paint chips on any non-metal part per the TSB as I had a couple on my bumper too....and like others have noticed, the orange on the bumpers does not match the metal parts. Not sure on other colors, but on the orange you can really tell. I would have loved to get the bumper done and have it all match, but oh well/

Hood looks good now, I am hoping they put the paint on a little better than the factory, time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hehe.....I guess you guys have never owned an Infiniti, Toyota, or a Honda. I have and let me tell you.....way worse than our Subaru's.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
326 Posts
I have the dark grey and it seems to be holding up just as well as any car we've owned. I even got a good gravel spray at ~50mph when going through construction on hwy 20 near Birmingham, AL with no chips or scratches that I can find.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
the orange on the bumpers does not match the metal parts. Not sure on other colors, but on the orange you can really tell.

....and like others have noticed, the orange on the bumpers does not match the metal parts. Not sure on other colors, but on the orange you can really tell. I would have loved to get the bumper done and have it all match, but oh well/
Guess I got lucky as my Sunshine Orange bumpers and adjoining panels all match perfectly except for the cover over the tow hook on the rear bumper which is slightly lighter in color. Body side moldings match perfectly too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts