Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Trekies,

My apologies if this was covered before (gave up on searching boards).

We all know the factory MPG is bogus. Just curious if an aftermarket OBDii reader like Ultragauge would provide the same numbers as OEM, or are they more accurate? I'm averaging 25 mpg actual on my Crosstrek. I'm sure it's a result of AT tires, mud flaps, and crossbars, but I would like see a closer value then subtracting 3-5 mpg from what the car says.

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've only filled the tank on my '19 twice now, but both times the car's mpg reading was spot on (within 0.5 mpg!), while my OBD app was overestimating by about 2 mpg...

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Hello fellow Trekies,

My apologies if this was covered before (gave up on searching boards).

We all know the factory MPG is bogus. Just curious if an aftermarket OBDii reader like Ultragauge would provide the same numbers as OEM, or are they more accurate? I'm averaging 25 mpg actual on my Crosstrek. I'm sure it's a result of AT tires, mud flaps, and crossbars, but I would like see a closer value then subtracting 3-5 mpg from what the car says.

Thanks!
Yeah, ours is over by about 3mpg usually.

The search here doesn't work. Try this: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=009553104184445714082:eepdnwaxfoy

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
I've only filled the tank on my '19 twice now, but both times the car's mpg reading was spot on (within 0.5 mpg!), while my OBD app was overestimating by about 2 mpg...
Is that by calculating the mpg from miles and gas pumped? Maybe they fixed that in the '19.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Ultragauge allows you to calibrate the fuel used to dial in the accuracy. I never even look at the car readout anymore.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is that by calculating the mpg from miles and gas pumped? Maybe they fixed that in the '19.
Yup. I have a little Google Sheet set up to keep track of mileage, and decided to make a column for both calculated mileage and the car's reported number. Based on the reports here I was expecting a big delta in the numbers, but they were basically identical both times I filled the tank. It's probably too early to say for sure, but it does seem possible that Subaru fixed the internal mileage calculation for the '19.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Xvsix, since you’ve just got two tankfuls thus far, you could use FUELLY.COM (free). It’ll do your mileage calculations for you, track your average $/gallon, etc., etc. Graphs, too. It’s a neat app. I’ve tracked our last three cars using it since someone else similarly recommended it to me.

(I have no affiliation whatsoever with whomever runs that site.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cap’n;2012980 said:
Xvsix, since you’ve just got two tankfuls thus far, you could use FUELLY.COM (free). It’ll do your mileage calculations for you, track your average $/gallon, etc., etc. Graphs, too. It’s a neat app. I’ve tracked our last three cars using it since someone else similarly recommended it to me.

(I have no affiliation whatsoever with whomever runs that site.)
Yeah, I played around with fuelly, but wasn't a fan. It's a bit too much work to enter info, and doesn't track things exactly the way I like. Plus, I'm not thrilled about having yet another company tracking my personal driving info.

·
Registered
598 Posts
What about other MY19 owners, does the mpg number reflect actual fills? Was the exaggerometer "recalibrated" for the '19's?

artosa

·
Registered
161 Posts
So...I was planning an update...just did another fill-up today, and have bad news: the exaggerometer seems to be working the same in my '19 as others have reported, with the calculated mileage 2.7 mpg lower than claimed by the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2019 exaggometer seems to average 12%-14% higher than actual mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts