Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
834 Posts
I think my contacts left Classic not long ago. Luckily I'm not in the market again yet lol. I thought I recognized the screen name!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
561 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I plug in the VIN for our 2019 on the NHTSA website, the response is "0 Unrepairable Recalls". The only recall that has been performed on our 2019 was the ignition coil reprogramming so, like you, I guess we don't need the other two recalls. Production date of our 2019 is 3/19. BTW, the window recall only affects 256 units.
The brake line bulging recall is only on the Subaru website

·
Registered
252 Posts
Brake line Swelling recall (from Subaru website):
Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to replace brake hoses that may swell due to fluid which can squeeze in between the hose’s inner and outer layers. The condition presents itself as a noticeable swelling of the hose rubber near the fittings. However, the change in appearance does not affect the performance of the braking system.

Safety Risk
This is not safety related

Remedy
Subaru retailers will replace all four (4) brake hoses with the updated parts at no charge to the customer.

Not a safty issue, thus will never be on the NHTSA website.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
Brake line Swelling recall (from Subaru website):
Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to replace brake hoses that may swell due to fluid which can squeeze in between the hose’s inner and outer layers. The condition presents itself as a noticeable swelling of the hose rubber near the fittings. However, the change in appearance does not affect the performance of the braking system.

Safety Risk

Remedy
Subaru retailers will replace all four (4) brake hoses with the updated parts at no charge to the customer.

Not a safty issue, thus will never be on the NHTSA website.
Interesting. Maybe it will show up in the Manufacturer Communication section? Another reason to use Subaru's VIN search (and NOT MySubaru).

Anyone have a TSB yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took mine into a dealer in the DMV area. Apparently they are ready to do all 3 (PCV, ECM, Brake Lines). Ended up getting a loaner. Nice opportunity to test drive the Ascent!

(Sidenote, $850 for the 30K service. I politely declined...Also, brake pads should definitely be within the Limited Wear Item Warranty right? Service advisor tried to say only covered if abnormal wear)

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Took mine into a dealer in the DMV area. Apparently they are ready to do all 3 (PCV, ECM, Brake Lines). Ended up getting a loaner. Nice opportunity to test drive the Ascent!

(Sidenote, $850 for the 30K service. I politely declined...Also, brake pads should definitely be within the Limited Wear Item Warranty right? Service advisor tried to say only covered if abnormal wear)
Subaru is unusual in covering brakes, clutches and wiper blades under the basic 3yr/36K warranty but I'm sure it's up to them to determine when to replace them. For example, if you're just shy of the 3yrs or 36K miles and want all new brake pads and wiper blades, they could balk at that.

Ask them for the details of the warranty and where it specifies the condition of the pads and see what happens. Ask about wiper blades, too! 😸

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update i got the PCV valve replaced today. I dropped car at dealer all day. They called after 2 hours and said it was done. I asked about the brake hose recall and they have to order parts said they should be in a week. As someone earlier stated does not show up on NHTSB web site. The advisor said after possibly swelling up the hoses could break. How Is this is not a safety issue?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Update i got the PCV valve replaced today. I dropped car at dealer all day. They called after 2 hours and said it was done. I asked about the brake hose recall and they have to order parts said they should be in a week. As someone earlier stated does not show up on NHTSB web site. The advisor said after possibly swelling up the hoses could break. How Is this is not a safety issue?
Yep, how is this NOT a safety issue?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Description

Safety Risk

Either Subaru is lying or the advisor doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I really think NHTSA wouldn't let Subaru get away with that and it would bad PR for the company if they got caught. Then why would Subaru lie?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Description

Safety Risk

Either Subaru is lying or the advisor doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I really think NHTSA wouldn't let Subaru get away with that and it would bad PR for the company if they got caught. Then why would Subaru lie?
I think a lot of people tend to jump to conclusions without any actual hard data. More than likely (I'm not stating this emphatically), there have not been any actual examples of safety being compromised. My advice is to calm down & let the process work.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,525 Posts
I think a lot of people tend to jump to conclusions without any actual hard data. More than likely (I'm not stating this emphatically), there have not been any actual examples of safety being compromised. My advice is to calm down & let the process work.
Exactly.

Subaru is taking precautions on a potential issue..

Compare that to decades ago when Ford weighed out the "cost vs """reward""" of a Pinto recall.. They deemed it cheaper to pay out wrongful death suits than a full on recall for a few small parts..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Was just at the dealer Tuesday and had the Coil reprogramming, PCV valve, and brake lines replaced along with my 18k service. I did not know anything about the brake lines, but they completed that as well, so in my case they had the parts and were also proactive about doing it.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Was just at the dealer Tuesday and had the Coil reprogramming, PCV valve, and brake lines replaced along with my 18k service. I did not know anything about the brake lines, but they completed that as well, so in my case they had the parts and were also proactive about doing it.
Good timing!

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
What dates are covered by the brake hose?
I haven't seen anything more detailed than the recall notice. Our '18 is included but not our '19. Both have the ignition coil recall.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts