Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly, while researching something else I stumbled on two new recalls for the 18 Crosstrek and perhaps others... does anyone have any additional info?
Dealer didn't have much info either but had seen an example of the PCV problem on an Impreza.

Recalls are WUQ02 and WUP01.

Was hoping to get a bit more info if anything. Looks like parts are outstanding still as well.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
182 Posts
Safety Recall: WUP01|

PCV Valve Fracturing

October 17, 2019

Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating this recall for certain 2017-2019 model year Impreza vehicles and certain 2018 model year Crosstrek vehicles in which the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve may be defective. A total of 205,000 vehicles will be affected by this recall.

Safety Risk
The PCV valve may separate and allow engine oil to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in a visible change in appearance and/or the amount of tailpipe exhaust. If driving under this condition continues, separated components from the PCV valve may enter the engine. If this occurs, the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
Once parts are available, Subaru will inspect and replace the PCV Valve for all the potentially affected vehicles, at no cost. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUP-01. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety Recall: WUQ02|

Ignition Coil Reprogramming

October 17, 2019

Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2017-2020 model year Impreza and 2018-2019 Crosstrek vehicles due to improper Engine Control Module (ECM) programming. A total of 466,205 U.S. vehicles will be affected by this recall. Under certain circumstances, the ignition coil may be energized longer than designed after the engine is OFF. If the ignition coil remains energized for too long, the internal temperature of ignition coil may increase which could cause a short circuit and a blown fuse. If a short circuit occurs while the vehicle is in motion, the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power while driving without the ability to immediately restart the engine.

Safety Risk
If a short circuit in the ignition coil occurs while the vehicle is in motion, the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power while driving without the ability to immediately restart the engine, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
For all the potentially affected vehicles, Subaru retailers will reprogram the ECM and inspect the ignition coil at no cost. If ignition coil damage is found, the damaged ignition coil will be replaced with a new part at no cost. On vehicles with confirmed ignition coil damage, if a certain DTC is stored, Subaru will replace the front exhaust pipe at no cost. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUQ-02. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I was told, parts for the PCV are end of this month/early November. ECU reflash for the Coil issue is supposed to be available by the end of this week.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,032 Posts
From what I was told, parts for the PCV are end of this month/early November. ECU reflash for the Coil issue is supposed to be available by the end of this week.
Thanks! We need to get our last free service by mid November, so I hope they can do the recalls then. Yes, scary!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Just read the NHTSA recall notice.
Remedy

".... The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019..."

Wonder how long until we hear something from Canuck Subaru.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Oh, and check this out ref WUP01:

"If the PCV valve has separated and the components cannot be found, the engine will be replaced, free of charge."

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,032 Posts

"If the PCV valve has separated and the components cannot be found, the engine will be replaced, free of charge."
Shoulda installed that catch can thingy... 😸

·
Registered
12 Posts
RE: NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V743000

I was in the dealership today for 12k service and talked to them about this. They were aware and were ready to address it today if I had wanted to wait around. It would have taken up to 3 more hours of they had to replace the exhaust part. I will make an appointment in a few weeks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Wow. Where did you read that? I checked both the Subaru site and the NHTSA site and don't see that.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
504 Posts
I'm surprised that the 2019 Forester has not been included in the recall as there have been reports of exploding PCV valves on the Forester forum:

[edited to add link]

1 - 20 of 189 Posts