Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Anyone here have a turbo installed on your stock 2.0 Crosstrek grenade?
^^^Fixored

Not as easy as it sounds. The internals of an non-turbo are in no way comparable to the beefed up components specified for turbo models, hence the grenade reference. Might work for a while, but driven hard, kaboom!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sure, it's possible. For the $$ you will spend to actually make it "work right", *cough*MEGASWAP*cough*.... you could just buy a Forester XT. ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Turbo XV

has anyone or know anyone that has put a turbo on the XV model cars or done a STI conversion? I have had a quick look around and even on youtube and I can't find anything.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
If that`s what you really wanted in a car should of purchased a WRX and install adjustable coil overs. One member from my mainleysubaru site did that to his 07 STi and he could adjust his car up and down 4".

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If that`s what you really wanted in a car should of purchased a WRX and install adjustable coil overs. One member from my mainleysubaru site did that to his 07 STi and he could adjust his car up and down 4".
Agreed although it would be interesting to see someone do this.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah I understand what you're talking about, Maybe I just want to see a turbo charged XV? Yes I know the engine isn't 100% compatible with the turbo, But you could always just run low
boost? That's why I said STI Conversion or even just a WRX conversion but the STI would be better.

I just can't find anything that someone has done.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Just to let everyone know, I just seen a post on a Facebook page that MRT in Australia is currently doing a Turbo Charged XV. So to those who think they can't turbo a N/A engine, You can if you do it correctly.
what do you mean can't turbo a n/a engine? all engines start out as n/a. to run a decent amount of boost reliably, most engine will need to upgrade some parts. few engines can run fair boost with stock internals.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
what do you mean can't turbo a n/a engine? all engines start out as n/a. to run a decent amount of boost reliably, most engine will need to upgrade some parts. few engines can run fair boost with stock internals.
Most n/a engines compression ratio is too high to run more than a 5 lb. boost and don`t forget the intercooler and the tune to keep from blowing up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Turbo engines usually come with internal oil squirters, Different pistons to cope with boost to cope with the turbo. So some of you information is wrong. Not all engines start off N/A, They are built for a turbo. Also to note. I know some people running 10PSI on a N/A engine and more if you run a thicker head gasket to lower the compression to run more boost. I did a turbo conversion on a N/A Nissan Pulsar running 7PSI and I was going to run 10PSI but then I stripped the car and got a XV instead

·
Registered
273 Posts
Car mods Australia have a turbo on a brz. Raptor super chargers have an xv solution.
Raptor Superchargers

Anything is possible with the right R&D.......said it before , I.'ll say it again, are you sure xv chassis can handle significant power upgrade?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If will take a guess and say that TC installed and drive away will be $8500

I could be wrong but it will be somewhere in that region - maybe a bit more

Stock CVT + Turbo, could be big trouble in my mind, too much torque at too low rpm. A centrifugal blower is way more CVT friendly than a turbo and even then I am not overly recommending it.

6speed + Centrifugal would be the most reliable by far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If will take a guess and say that TC installed and drive away will be $8500

I could be wrong but it will be somewhere in that region - maybe a bit more
Then there would be servicing costs. Subaru won't touch it, so you'll probably have to take it back to MRT where it will likely be more expensive. Then there's insurance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There's just a tad more to it than new motor mounts to swap a motor from a different car.
custom hoses, lines, oil feed and return, probably need to mock up a/c lines if you wanna keep them and compressor/radiator mounts.

also going to need a much better radiator, xv stock radiator could never hold up to turbo heat.

MUCH EASIER then trying to mount a turbo to stock xv engine. Subaru engine swaps between other Subaru's is such a common practice with forester, outbacks, imprezas and Baja's that you could find almost any state a shop that's done it before.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts