Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some folks have used Throttle Happy for tuning and Delicious Tuning along with Mann Engineering are developing a tune for the Crosstrek. I've found another company Xtreme Racing Tuning. Just wondering if anyone has used them? Knows of anyone who used them?
I'll be tuning a 2016 Crosstrek that has an AEM intake w/ Cherry Bomb Glass Pack 87521CB installed.
I'm also seriously considering the installation of a header from either Tsudo or SuperCircuit. Would like input on these also?
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Instead of making a new post, I'll just put my question in here. Will these cat-less headers mentioned above be able to pass emissions in most states? From what I understand the crosstrek has mutliple catalytic converters in the system, would the removal of the header cat(s) put the emissions over the threshold if the other cat is still in place?

*Edit* Please correct me if I am incorrect about there being multiple cat converters

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just ordered the Tsudo UEL header. Will be able to let you know soon enough lol. I also have a nameless performance 5" axle back, probably just going with a drop in panel filter though; regardless I'll probably need a tune at that point but we'll see.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered the Tsudo UEL header. Will be able to let you know soon enough lol. I also have a nameless performance 5" axle back, probably just going with a drop in panel filter though; regardless I'll probably need a tune at that point but we'll see.
Post up a picture and a video once installed!

·
Registered
422 Posts
A quick question as inquiring minds want to know, but have you folks dyno'd your engines and then will you dyno them afterwards or are you just playing with sound and do not give a darn on HP/Torque or real improved performance. It seem every cycle we have some folk who try for improved performance but empirical data is seriously missing or when there the nt improvement is usually a few HP at best which means diddly. I am not knocking anyone as these are our cars and we want them to be just right. I myself went for removal of the 50lb boat anchor of a stock muffler, installed a magnaflow10 - 12 inch muffler and dual tips. Sounds fast but I may have lost power, lol!

Thanks

paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
A quick question as inquiring minds want to know, but have you folks dyno'd your engines and then will you dyno them afterwards or are you just playing with sound and do not give a darn on HP/Torque or real improved performance. It seem every cycle we have some folk who try for improved performance but empirical data is seriously missing or when there the nt improvement is usually a few HP at best which means diddly. I am not knocking anyone as these are our cars and we want them to be just right. I myself went for removal of the 50lb boat anchor of a stock muffler, installed a magnaflow10 - 12 inch muffler and dual tips. Sounds fast but I may have lost power, lol!

Thanks

paul
My plan was to have the headers installed and then get a tune. I ended up going to a local tune shop where they were going to see if they could even tune the engine. If they could tune it they were going to install my headers and then set up another date for me to come in and have the car dyno'd + tuned. Unfortunately, there aren't any tunes available for years 15+, so they could not tune my crosstrek; therefore I did not get the headers installed... for now. I too have replaced the stock muffler with the nameless performance 5". Muffler sounds good but idk if I lost any power, I doubt a simple axle-back really affects power that much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got my Tsudo UEL 4-1 Headers (with braided stainless flex pipes) installed. Here are some pics! In an attempt to try and avoid a CEL, the o2 sensor was placed at a different location, it seemed to work at first but the check engine did eventually come on after driving for about 20 miles. The A/F ratio was a little rich at first, sitting around 11. After CEL I don't know what the figure is. I will post a vid of how it sounds eventually, but trust me it sounds awesome! Very nice rumble in combination with a nameless 5" axle back muffler. Now I just need to get it tuned, can't wait!

Edit: Forgot to mention as seen in pics 2&3 the flange holes didn't quite line up, so the whole cat-back was dropped in order for it to fit and then re hung

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my Tsudo UEL 4-1 Headers (with braided stainless flex pipes) installed. Here are some pics! In an attempt to try and avoid a CEL, the o2 sensor was placed at a different location, it seemed to work at first but the check engine did eventually come on after driving for about 20 miles. The A/F ratio was a little rich at first, sitting around 11. After CEL I don't know what the figure is. I will post a vid of how it sounds eventually, but trust me it sounds awesome! Very nice rumble in combination with a nameless 5" axle back muffler. Now I just need to get it tuned, can't wait!

Edit: Forgot to mention as seen in pics 2&3 the flange holes didn't quite line up, so the whole cat-back was dropped in order for it to fit and then re hung
Did another o2 sensor go in the first port? What code did it give you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did another o2 sensor go in the first port? What code did it give you?
I'm pretty sure the other o2 sensor spot was plugged up. Not sure what code it gave but it was probably P0420 which is a catalytic converter code. Today I started the car and the check engine light did not come on after a short drive to a buddy's house and back a few miles away. This thread had some good info https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774584

·
Registered
21 Posts
Although I doubt I will do much exhaust upgrades, very interested to see the end result on your trek with tuning and also video.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ordered the following header:
http://www.infernofab.com/exhaust.html
It's the one for SUBARU UEL 2.0-2.5 FB DIRECT BOLT ON.
Gonna see how it runs without a tune for a little bit after I install. Also have HPS Short Ram Intake and Cherry Bomb Glass Pack 87521CB installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woah that looks nice, comes with a catalytic converter too I see. Should sound awesome with a glasspack I imagine

The Tsudo headers deleted a cat so I definitely NEED a tune soon.. I hate driving around with an intermittent CEL.. Waiting for delicious tuning to drop a 15+ XV tune package still, they tell me its coming, just a matter of time until they receive the hardware to put it on their site for sale.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Every so often I pop in here and folks are always doing what they see as hopping up a car for more power. My 2 cents: this car is sort of like a Harley. You can add chips and intakes and tuning and what you end up with is a loud Harley that is not appreciatively faster, especially for the money spent. If I wanted fast would have gotten a Hayabusa, lol. So if y'all are hoping for appreciatively more power and speed, please do a dyno first and then after all your kiddy stuff. UNLESS you spend large dollars, you will still have a car that goes 0 - 60 in maybe 9 seconds on a good day. But you will have sweet intake sounds and a booming exhaust for the girls who are turned on by such. Otherwise remember that old Japanese saying: this is a Subaru!

paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every so often I pop in here and folks are always doing what they see as hopping up a car for more power. My 2 cents: this car is sort of like a Harley. You can add chips and intakes and tuning and what you end up with is a loud Harley that is not appreciatively faster, especially for the money spent. If I wanted fast would have gotten a Hayabusa, lol. So if y'all are hoping for appreciatively more power and speed, please do a dyno first and then after all your kiddy stuff. UNLESS you spend large dollars, you will still have a car that goes 0 - 60 in maybe 9 seconds on a good day. But you will have sweet intake sounds and a booming exhaust for the girls who are turned on by such. Otherwise remember that old Japanese saying: this is a Subaru!

paul
Yup, to each their own!

Reactions: Joffa

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm going with XRT as far as the tuning goes. His customer support and reviews of his tunes are very good. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep us posted fhartell! I want to stick it out and wait for Delicious Tuning to release the remote tuning package. I emailed them this week and they said the tunes are able to be done in person, but they are still waiting for remote tuning hardware to come in from Europe.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep us posted fhartell! I want to stick it out and wait for Delicious Tuning to release the remote tuning package. I emailed them this week and they said the tunes are able to be done in person, but they are still waiting for remote tuning hardware to come in from Europe.
The problem with Throttle Happy is he doesn't get back to you promptly. Only thing w/ Delicious Tuning are the tunes going to be a one size fits all?
XRT has you logging constantly to give you a custom tune for whatever mods you might have installed. Is it a little pricey. Yes but the product along with his customer support is AWESOME!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts