Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Subaru techs want to take a shot at this?

In the process of replacing a right front wheel bearing. I inadvertently ruined my factory ABS read ring on the CV shaft. I also snapped off the sensor. The CV shaft was seized on at the splines. I got aggressive and tried to pry the bearing off using the hub after removing the bearing bolts. Finally got it off with a 7 ton 3 jaw press. Yes. Very stupid move on my part. I smashed the sensor read ring on the CV. Honstly, why do they use a ring like that? very vulnerable. Got it as straight as possible which worked for a short while with a new factory sensor. Approximately 6 miles later, the brakes went to traction control and I could feel the right front pulsing with the traction control sensing no rotation. The ABS, Hill assist, check engine lights all came on and a scan revealed a P0500 which is sensor related. The sensor had some rub marks on it but an ohmeter check said it was in tolerance and functioning. So I purchased a new CV shaft from NAPA, cleared codes. Soon as I rolled away they lit back up with the same codes and lights. A check of sensors through a scanner shows no wheel speed detected on that right front sensor. Purchased a replacement sensor from AMAZON because I really didn't want to pay the Subaru price for another one and still the same codes and results. I'm going to buy a new OEM sensor again and If that doesn't work, a new OEM CV axle. Hoping that NAPA will take the other one back because it doesn't read the sensor. Just hoping that I didn't do anything to the computer that reads the ABS system. What would I be looking for in a multi meter reading if I probed the plugs to the front wheel sensors? I visually checked the both front rings through the hole the sensor sits in on the knuckle but I'm not sure what the distance tolerance is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did this exact same thing but on my left front wheel (2015). Axle was seized in the hub, AND I forgot to pull the sensor before getting everything apart. I bought an aftermarket axle and sensor from RockAuto because the oem stuff was just too expensive. Everything installed great, and haven’t had any issues since (been about 8 months). I will say that I have a little torque steer on take off now, which I’m assuming is because of the different material in the aftermarket axle.

I will go back and check what brands I bought from, but just wanted to let you know that you don’t need to buy oem parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FOLLOW UP;

I have now installed a new factory wheel sensor. No change. Still have no reading in that wheel. Not sure if I damaged the computer that reads the sensors. I've looked at fuses and checked the sensor plug. Now I suppose I'll look for a ground. The Closest Subaru service is 90 miles. Suspicious of the wheel bearing read ring.

·
Registered
148 Posts

In reply #3, there are 2 different p/n's for the front bearing 2012-2016 ( Impreza ), 2013-2017 ( XV Crosstrek )

The newer bearing is deeper in the knuckle. So if you put the earlier bearing 28373FG000 into a later model, Yes it will fit, but the ABS ring will not be near enough for the sensor to detect it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

In reply #3, there are 2 different p/n's for the front bearing 2012-2016 ( Impreza ), 2013-2017 ( XV Crosstrek )

The newer bearing is deeper in the knuckle. So if you put the earlier bearing 28373FG000 into a later model, Yes it will fit, but the ABS ring will not be bear enough for the sensor to detect it.
That's what funny about this. When I got it put together with the first replacement sensor,It worked for a short while normally.
Then I was getting the right front ABS activating when I would brake. Then it stopped all together and the service light(s) came on and haven't been able to figure it out since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I went through this, I bought:
API Front Left Wheel speed sensor: 1802513964
MOOG Front Left Wheel bearing: 513413
TrakMotive Front Left CV axle: SB8122

Keep in mind this is for a manual transmission, so the axle may be different. I had to drive it for a minute to get all the lights to go off, and then clear the CE codes manually.

Is your car stuck in limp mode? Meaning does it cap your RPMs at 4000?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterdy I recieved my new factory wheel sensor and installed it with much nervousness. I'm getting to be very familiar with the process of installing these now. Inspected the plug and made sure it clicked in to the harness. Cleared to codes and set up my scan tool to monitor the front wheel sensors. Went for a quick drive. Still nothing. Back to the research of this forum. Also checking in with a mechanic friend who is helping me troubleshoot this mayhem,
Having read about the the bearing between an XV and a IMPREZA possibly being different I took the original bearing to NAPA with me. I had them pull another new one out the box and compare it. There was a good 1/4 inch difference in the depth of the inside bearing. They then pulled up the SKF brand bearing out with a different part number to compare. The bearing sat deeper in the steering knuckle and should be correct. Now to pull the bearing I am currently driving on back out to compare what I got to replace it. It shouldn't take me too long to pull the one out and compare it to the new one.

wish me luck

I will follow up with photos to reference if this is indeed the solution to my frustration

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup, as I posted, mid 2014 production they changed the front hub, bearing and driveshaft. So you must have a later build than 1/14.

My Impreza was built 12/13, so I have the earlier one. Bearings are easy to find, but for a while, front driveshafts for the earlier models were scarce, only the later ones were readily available. Now they are in stock.

Glad you found your problem. Good luck with your " new to you ": and personally rebuilt XV/Crosstrek.

• Helpful
Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, I have to eat the other bearing because I didn't keep the box. Don't care. I learned more on this forum than at YouTube University on this subject. I switched out hub bearings, took pictures, and posted in under an hour, including moving cars around at work so I could use my lift. Now all that is needed is to replace the oil temperature sensor that got snapped when the radiator came back, hit, and broke it in the original project of rebuilding the car. (see my intro post)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts