Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Transmission / Belt Flutter

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Muffin Top 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Crosstrek with approx. 101,000 miles. Recently I noticed what sounds like a belt fluttering underneath the car. This phenomenon happens usually between 30-40 mph and only happens with a light press of the gas pedal. It doesn’t happen when I press hard or mash the pedal. I also noticed that this happens in gears 2-5 when in manual mode. Does this seem like a CVT problem?

I know SOA extended the warranty to 100,000 miles, but I’m slightly over that. Do I have a chance of claiming this as warranty? What steps should I follow to file a claim / have an inspection?

#2 ·
Took this to my local dealer for a transmission inspection. SOA covered the inspection. They couldn't find anything wrong. They also said they didn't hear the noise. I don't think they tried that hard.... I hear it every time I drive it, even with the windows up.

Anyone have any insight as to what this can be? I'm still stumped. Noticed that this now happens anywhere between 10-50 mph-ish with a slight push of the gas pedal to maintain speed.

#5 ·
Your videos are private.

#8 ·
I’m seeing lifespans of around 120k miles for first gen Crosstrek CVT’s (not enough data available to make a conclusion on 2nd gen). It sounds like you had a shorter life, but Subaru will probably offer to discount a repair at one of their dealerships. Don’t expect a free repair unless you had an outright failure at 101k miles.

#9 ·
Does this sound like a transmission issue to you? Dealer did all their inspections and they said it passed all their tests. Unfortunately I can’t find that piece of paper right now to see the tests they did, but I do recall that one was called a stall test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.