Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about trailer hitches except that the Crosstrek has a maximum towing capacity of 2000 lb

Does any size fit? Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
A good place to start is to know what you are going to use the hitch for. They make 1.25" and 2" receiver sizes and different classes. I go off road so I use mine as a bumper guard and to carry a basket for a cooler when I go to the lake.

It takes a little modifying of the frame during install but by myself it took less than an hour. I didn't need to remove the exhaust, I just worked around it. Youtube has some good videos showing how to install.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is another full discussion re trailer hitches and the pros and cons of each brand.
I went with a Subaru dealer installed one (pricey) because it was installed correctly so in a rear end collision, the crumpling effect is accomplished on the car and not on the humans inside, an important consideration for me.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There is another full discussion re trailer hitches and the pros and cons of each brand.
I went with a Subaru dealer installed one (pricey) because it was installed correctly so in a rear end collision, the crumpling effect is accomplished on the car and not on the humans inside, an important consideration for me.
I remember that debate. Aftermarket hitches didn’t exist for a months after I got my 18’ and I needed it before winter so I got the OEM, delivery installed. I would have gone with an aftermarket and DIY’d the install if it was available but I stand by my OEM and since found knowledge of the crumple zones and trailer hitch rear enders.

I know nothing about trailer hitches except that the Crosstrek has a maximum towing capacity of 2000 lb

Does any size fit? Any recommendations?

Thanks
I don’t really want to revive the hitch capacity discussion but in Europe, they tow up to 3,086 lbs while here in North America, the towing capacity is:

1,500 lbs with trailer brakes; and
1,000 lbs without trailer brakes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don’t really want to revive the hitch capacity discussion but in Europe, they tow up to 3,086 lbs while here in North America, the towing capacity is:

1,500 lbs with trailer brakes; and
1,000 lbs without trailer brakes.
Most fascinating being that the Euro Crossies are equipped with the 1.6 liter flat.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Most fascinating being that the Euro Crossies are equipped with the 1.6 liter flat.
Lol; yeah, we know. I sum it up as a north American legislative limitation which I guess has to do with the geographical and environmental differences between Europe and here.
Except for certain areas, it's comparatively flat and mild in Europe but I'd still rather haul a trailer up an Alpine road than a Rocky Mountain road; less asphalt rot, potholes and moose.

For transparency, I haven't looked up towing capacities for other regions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a Curt hitch on my'16. They make one that goes on pretty easily. If I remember, two of the mounting holes in the Crosstrek needed to be enlarged by a hair to get it to fit. I was able to install it in about an hour - nice solid hitch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited, and I highly recommend the Stealth Hitch. It solves the issues of interfering with the car’s crumple zones, and is just a much nicer installation all together. It’s pricey, but the quality is top notch. I use it primarily for my 2” Yakima bike rack, and it is perfect for that application. I also have the adaptor for a trailer, and it works well. The link is for the pictures I posted of my install. Model Year 2018 and Newer - Looking for a recommendation hitch + bike rack.

Subaru Crosstrek Hitch (2018-Present)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still liking the eco hitch I put on my 14 XV. No one knows it is there unless I remove its little hatch. 2in receiver better for bike rack. Never on top

1 - 11 of 11 Posts